Leaving Notes for Teachers and other sub tips

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by hopetoteach, Feb 15, 2008.

1. hopetoteach

hopetoteach Rookie

Feb 15, 2008

Hi,

I just graduated and have just started elementary subbing in two districts I am very interested working for permanently. I am just looking for any tips that will help me to be a better sub.

I am leaving pretty detailed notes about the day that includes a description of what we accomplished in each subject. All of my days (5) have gone well so far so I always make a point to compliment the teacher on her class.

I do includes comments regarding any problems I might have had with specific students and how I attempted to resolve them. For example, yesterday students were suppose to spend their social studies hour working on a project they have due today and if done, could go on to some other options. I realized later in the day that a few students had who were not done with their projects had gone onto the options and I passed this onto the teacher (i really had no way of knowing who was done at the time although I did find the "completed stack" later in the day.

Anyway, do teachers want to hear the good and the bad about the days they are out?

I always follow the sub instructions exactly and leave the room as clean as I found it and sometimes cleaner.

Any tips for me about notes or other general suggestions?

Thanks!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2008

As a regular classroom teacher, I want to hear about everything that went on in my absence. While I'm not looking to read a novel upon my return, a paragraph or so letting me know what happened is nice. I want to know if my kids did a good job because it makes me feel really proud of them and I can lavish them with praise upon my return. I also want to know which students were...challenging for the sub because I may need to read them the riot act when I get back.

I also want the sub to be careful with attendance records, i.e. letting me know who was tardy or absent. I need to maintain accurate records, so I don't appreciate any sub who doesn't make note of these sorts of things.

Above everything, I want the sub to care about my students and my classroom. I always love hearing my students tell me that the sub chatted with them, got to know them, and asked how I usually handled certain things if they weren't sure about the procedure.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2008

Sounds like you are doing all the right things! I would just keep up the good work that you are already doing!

Good luck!

5. Amers

Amers Cohort

Feb 15, 2008

When I was a sub, I left very detailed notes as well. I let the teacher know what had or hadn't been accomplished from their lessons, as well as any problems with students. I would also mention who was exceptionally well behaved if someone was really standing out.

Now as a teacher, I expect the same. I've had a sub in my room one time, and the note I received (after her being in my room for 2 days) was one sentence long. Literally. She said, "For the most part they were good, but some of the boys gave me a hard time." I had no idea what had been completed. I had no idea which boys were causing problems. I had not idea what she meant by "for the most part."

Keep leaving detailed notes....They will be appreciated! :)

6. hopetoteach

hopetoteach Rookie

Feb 15, 2008

Thank you all...this is very reassuring!

7. maroki

maroki Comrade

Feb 15, 2008

I agree! Detailed notes are a plus. I have a questionnaire that I leave for my subs to fill out, asking for specific information that I will want to know when I get back. It only has 3 questions on it, and a 4th option at the bottom where I ask the sub to "please comment on anything else they think I should know." So far it has worked out with all the subs I've had.

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 15, 2008

Yes, detailed is fine. I leave detailed notes for my subs, and I would like the same back from them.

Any other questions about...
    behavior?
    treats?
    no sub plans?

We can help.