Learning alphabet fast

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissK2015, Sep 16, 2017.

1. DAH

DAH Companion

Sep 20, 2017

This is really not "an agency problem," Ceasar, it's a societal family problem. Something has gone seriously wrong in a society that produces a massive number of incompetent young people who not only lack basic academic skills, but basic life skills as well; they don't even know how to take care of themselves, God forbid a baby!

When we removed elevating the Judeo-Christian value system as a living model in public schools and society, we were left with nothing to replace it. And nothing attempted so far has worked.

I really hate being so pessimistic, but to be anything else would require that I stick my head in the sand and pretend none of this exists. We have serious mega-problems in society that if we don't do something, we're history, like the Roman Empire. We can't survive this way. The problem is staggering. There are more young people like that, than good ones doing the right things.

Backroads likes this.
  2. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 20, 2017

It is two problems. You outline the breakdown of the family and person very well. However, when CPS is involved and they allow this squalor to continue and lack of skills to continue, they are part of the problem.

Backroads and Caesar753 like this.
  3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 20, 2017

I don't think Ceasar is really saying it's not a societal problem, because it obviously is. Sadly, we do live in a world where we do have agencies that are supposed to be helping those people and it seemed they dropped the ball. I think there was clearly a lot wrong in that household and Ceaser said as much.

Her point was more about what we as teachers need to focus upon.

Caesar753 likes this.
  4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2017

To be clear, the Roman Empire, and the Republic before that, survived for a very long time, much longer than the US has been around. Just like you're saying that the loss of Judeo-Christian values is causing societal decline, the Romans believed (and many historians and scholars agree) that the spread of Judeo-Christian values caused societal decline back then. The Romans viewed their traditional pagan beliefs as honorable and pious, and it was the destruction or absorption of these values into Christianity that caused a lot of problems.

There are problems in today's society. There have always been problems in every society. In today's society, we have installed systems and organizations to help solve some of these problems and to help the people who are affected by these problems. We can assign blame all day long, but that doesn't really fix anything, does it? You know what fixes problems? Fixing them. Not complaining about what caused them, not saying that people with problems are incompetent, not turning a blind eye, and not withdrawing support and resources.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 20, 2017

[​IMG]

dgpiaffeteach, bella84 and Caesar753 like this.
  6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 20, 2017

How this topic got SO FAR OFF TOPIC is amazing.

Was the original question answered?

MissK2015 and Backroads like this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 20, 2017

I actually had to go back and look at the original question...

catnfiddle likes this.
  8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 20, 2017

I am not sure what you mean - does your school try to get the low kids to go to the charters, or do the charters try to get them to unenroll and go to a public school?

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 20, 2017

Parents actually tend to panic when the kid shows difficulties in whatever and enroll them in charters. We were just observing we have an unusually high level of IEPs and requests for evaluation this year. Also, some parents trying to avoid IEPs enroll, not understanding we do pretty much the same FAPE stuff.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2017

I think there are some families out there just trying to survive. Maybe there's a lack of monetary resources, time, or perhaps there are health issues. While I do believe a child's first teachers are his or her parents, I don't think it's as black and white as this. With so many different factors involved, I feel it's unfair to make general assumptions like those quoted above.

Backroads, DAH and Caesar753 like this.
  11. DAH

DAH Companion

Sep 24, 2017

And you're right. There are those extenuating circumstances that prevent mothers from properly raising their children. But when it becomes a national problem, we better take a closer look to see what's causing it.
    Thanks for your correction

Backroads likes this.
  12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2017

Right, and not forgetting the fathers and their role in raising their children.

DAH and Caesar753 like this.
  13. Edubuzzkids

Edubuzzkids New Member

Sep 25, 2017

We have many ways to teach alphabet to preschool kids, Initially through videos we can teach them alphabets very easily. 5 Ways to Teach the Alphabet. Teaching the alphabet is foundational for reading and writing. Around the age of 2, children begin showing interest in learning alphabet letters. While some kids learn letters very quickly, others need more repetition and time to learn letters.

DAH likes this.
  14. DAH

DAH Companion

Sep 25, 2017

Edubuzz, I don't want to scare you, but my oldest daughter was able to identify letters of the alphabet by choice when she was 6-8 months old. (I no longer remember the exact age, but it was well before she was one, and before she started crawling).

Don't wait until they're two, those little brains are sharp and ready to learn much sooner than that.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2017

How much meaning was she able to attach to what those shapes mean? I'm sure there was no understanding of the sounds that they represent or that they are the building blocks of words.

bella84 and Caesar753 like this.
  16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 25, 2017

Some children get into the alphabet at two years old or younger; let them. Some don't get into it until they're five; let them. Little brains are indeed ready to learn - but whether what gets every little brain the farthest is drilling on letters is a very different matter.

From where I sit - and, one way or another, I've been thinking about literacy issues since the 1970s - most children would be better served if their parents and their kindergartens put less emphasis on the ABCs and more emphasis on stories, more emphasis on hands-on vocabulary-rich exploration of science and cause and effect, more emphasis on grasping the concepts that will help them make sense of what they read when they do begin to read... and much, much more emphasis on authentic play.

17. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Sep 26, 2017

I once had a third grader who didn't comprehend counting. He could demonstrate counting, but he didn't have a working concept of numbers. Fortunately, it didn't take long to resolve this problem.

Third and fourth grade seem to be the age when reading and math skill differences become more readily apparent. I'm not sure it's a problem stemming from the previous teachers. I'm not sure situations are always detectible by many parents at an early age, either, especially if it's an only child. I do wonder, however, if some curricula or methods push students too quickly and neglect basic brain development; every skill is made up of many, many sub-skills, and if these sub-skills are not somehow picked up, the student might demonstrate proficiency in a skill but not truly possess that skill. In modern society, I fear the reason sub-skills are not picked up outside of intentional teaching is due to a reduction in communication, both oral and written communication. Especially important for today's children is exposure to books. Books, books, and more books--and less TV and video games.

Backroads and a2z like this.
  18. MissK2015

MissK2015 Rookie

Sep 27, 2017

Thanks for your responses! I also wish that in Kindergarten they didn't have to write sentences but just sound out words and the know the alphabet. That would be nice and take off a lot of pressure off of me and my students!

svassillion and Obadiah like this.