Lawnmower parents?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by blazer, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Oct 3, 2018

YTG hit it ion the head-these requests, while totally silly and over the top, are becoming pretty frequent.

I had a parent a few weeks back ask if I would personally put her childs homework in his backpack for him everyday, because just reminding him to do it himself wasnt good enough. Then I suggested partnering him up with a very responsible student who could be his "homework buddy" who would help him and check that the homework was in the backpack. Her response, NO-He needs an adults help.

2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Oct 3, 2018

I actually hadn’t even considered this. It basically was a tutoring session that she probably trying to get for free. Yeah, no.

3. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Oct 3, 2018

A lady in one of my FB mom groups brought up a situation where she wanted the teacher to help her daughter get her homework out of her backpack as the daughter, who had ADHD, had lots of trouble remembering to even with the teacher giving a class reminder.

It wound up being a very passionate argument from both sides. I suppose I was somewhere in the middle--it was an early grade where perhaps the child did need short-term focused help in how to get out her homework folder.

But, yikes, an adult's help!

I recall hearing about a hall in a school somewhere. One side had a special needs classroom, specifically early elementary ages. The other side was a typical 3rd grade classroom.

Each morning, one classroom had parents helping children to take off coats, get stuff out their backpacks, tie shoes, etc. The other classroom had most students independently getting ready for the day.

Guess which classroom was which?

I don't if this is a true anectdote, though the person swears she saw it happen at her school with helicopter parents fussing over their typical kids and the SPED students being encouraged and empowered in independence.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  4. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Oct 3, 2018

Apparently that is a true tactic!

Out of storytelling curiosity, how did she respond when you said you were off Saturdays?

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Oct 4, 2018

Well, I kept hinting that school hours would be best for all parties involved, but the mother was insistent that I meet with her and her son on Saturday’s for 1-2 hours at the school. I was mystified at the time as campus is closed on the weekends and I said it would only be us three. She kept saying how it would be the best fit for her son and that she heard great things about me from other parents (my tutoring clients). That should have tipped me off, but I was just trying to reason with her, so I gave her my tutoring times during school hours, which are covered by the tuition she already pays. She then said that would not work and that her son needs more time than that. I replied that I have tutoring times every day at lunch and every day after school for 45 minutes in my classroom. She responded that that was not enough time and that my sessions are very large due to all the students — the latter is true. I then reiterated that I couldn’t do Saturdays or Sundays and she got all irate with me and started saying how I don’t help her son enough — not true — and that I should be more considerate of THEIR schedules. Inside, I was like, “Excuse me, I help your son all the time before school, during my lunch break, and after school.” But what I actually said was that I tutor him multiple times per week and give up my lunch time and free time after school for 45 minutes (that I’m not paid for) to help students who need the extra help. If he can’t find the time to come to one of those times, of which there are many, then I don’t know what to do. She then left in a huff and later sent an email to my principal saying that I was not accommodating to her son’s needs and my super supportive P said, “Why don’t you hire him as a personal tutor and you can have all the extra time you like?” My P later pulled me into his office and he and I had a laugh when I read her email aloud.

That mother was really something else and this was not my first run-in with her. For instance, she once accused me of having a venereal disease and I still have the email from her addressed to my principal to prove it! Well, short story long, her little junior ended up getting an A- and she was very pleased. I even jokingly said in passing that I guess the Saturday visits weren’t necessary after all. ;)

Backroads likes this.
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 4, 2018

In my special ed classroom the students must take off their own coats, hang up their own backpacks. and pretty much complete their whole morning routine without adult help. I sure as heck wouldn't do it FOR a typical kid who is totally capable of being independent!!

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 4, 2018

At this point, I'd reply with something such as:
    Your student is welcome to come in at xx for tutoring. I'm not available on weekends, but if that time works best for you, you may wish to try xx local tutoring service. Their phone number is: ---

Some people are crazy! I've had a few parents similar to this. It's fairly common at my school.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Oct 5, 2018

Here's one: We did a thing a couple of weeks ago to sell some school shirts. They're on order, fairly the usual. One of my kiddos has been asking me about the shirts. Hey, I just teach here and I have no idea what's going on with the shirts but they didn't seem particularly behind. Today parents come in, angry and demanding, to ask about the stupid shirt. To ask ME about the stupid shirt. They want to know where it is (um, they put in the order last week and they need to print them) and why no one is getting their poor child a new shirt and helping him avoid the embarrassment of wearing last year's identical school shirt that still fits him just fine. Again, I'm just the teacher and was barely aware the school was selling shirts and I certainly don't handle the orders.

But wow, the kid was dying of embarrassment because of an old shirt, parents claimed.

9. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Oct 5, 2018

I have way to many lawnmower parents. It its definatly a trend on the rise