Lawnmower parents?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by blazer, Sep 23, 2018.

1. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 27, 2018

I'm sure I will be hammered for this post, but good grades and hard courses does not mean a student doesn't need a 504. I've known a number of 2E kids (twice exceptional for those who do not know the meaning). Some had terrible grades, barely did any work, and just gave up because it was too much to try to overcome the interference of the disability. Some had fantastic grades, but the effort and time required to do the work they were intellectually capable of handling was overwhelming. For some kids with attention issues or other issues that impact rapid work product production, what takes the typical student 20 minutes to do it might take an hour to do.

What I take from the above comment is that if you are intelligent and have a disability, you should just settle for taking easier courses.

I think we also have to look at what is done in the classes. Talking to some recent HS graduates who are now in college, they say the amount of work in their college classes is so much lighter than what they experienced in their high school honors and AP classes. They say the busy work is gone. Sure they have readings to do, papers, and test, but the continual barrage of small assignments on top of all of that are gone.

Backroads likes this.
  2. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 27, 2018

Maybe it is partly inherited based on body/brain chemistry.

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 27, 2018

Regarding your last comment, yes, I do give my students a TON of work, but they need the practice in math, especially in my classes. And I keep in contact with many of my students after they graduate and the common spread is that they thank me for making them work so hard because their math courses are a breeze in college in comparison. They said that they stressed out a lot in high school due to the high rigor of my classes, but now they are in the top of their classes because I taught them better methods than what their professors are teaching them. For instance, I continually build in science problems throughout my math courses in the form of computer science, chemistry (inorganic, organic, and physical), physics, genetics, microbiology, etc. I go beyond the core curriculum and I hold my students to a very high standard. And even though my students are/we’re worked extremely hard and constantly worried over my class(es), they learned valuable information that will serve them in their future STEM careers.

In my classes, my motto is that you should, from the moment you sit down in your seat, be “working, working, working, working, working.”

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 27, 2018

Regarding your comment about 2e students, if a student is suspected or thinks that he/she might need learning accommodations, then they should be officially tested to see what learning differences they might possess. If they are found by multiple professionals (2 or more), then they are given accommodations. If they are found to not have any disabilities to speak of, then they continue their schooling as they currently are. That’s what we do at my school. We don’t just deny a student because they have high grades. That doesn’t seem fair to the student.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 27, 2018

I could've truly used a 504 (along with some prescription meds) in school. I suffered from severe anxiety. I would often need to vomit before/during a big/stressful test, which would result in having less time to complete the exam. I don't think my parents realized the severity of my anxiety, though. I was so used to living with it that I didn't know what it was like to live without it.

6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 27, 2018

Oh my goodness, that’s sounds truly awful... I admire you for getting to where you are and still having to deal with that. Well done! You should feel proud of yourself.

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 27, 2018

Thank you! Thankfully, my anxiety is totally in check now that I'm an adult.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 27, 2018

Great to hear! :)

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Sep 27, 2018

Yeah, we'll go with that.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Sep 27, 2018

When I taught in the middle school there was one student who was pretty much always absent on days we had tests. Her mom always said she was sick to her stomach (for some reason the whole team always had tests on the same day. I had no way of changing the day because I was only a LTS). When the student took the test in a quiet area like the library, she was fine! No anxiety.

11. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Sep 27, 2018

I absolutely support 504s that provide accommodations for students who need them. What I don't understand is why 5 teachers, a counselor, and an admin all have to spend an hour in a meeting, plus however long doing the paperwork, when a student isn't using the accommodations because they don't need them. I have been to two meetings like this in the past week and it's frustrating the amount of time put into a paper trail that may or may not get used some day in the future.

12. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 28, 2018

The point of accommodations is to level the playing field. Not to insure that a student makes it to the top ten, gets a perfect SAT score or maintains straight As.

If you cannot handle 5 AP classes in one semester, for whatever reason, you shouldn't take 5 AP classes in one semester. If your anxiety makes taking the normal 4 classes difficult, then we can talk about accommodations.

Taking 5 APs at once, earning a spot in the top ten, these are stressful goals. These are things that are going to require far MORE than what the average student needs. 504s and IEPs should be to give a hand up. A hand UP to where everyone else is. Not a rocket ship to send them into the stratosphere.

otterpop and Backroads like this.
  13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 28, 2018

Answer: Bureaucracy and for the sake of perceived rigor.

Backroads likes this.
  14. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Sep 28, 2018

I don't think anyone's saying anxiety and learning disabilities aren't real things. I'm perfect satisfied with the notion we're better at identifying issues and taking care of them.

However, I do believe there is a percentage of the school population who takes unnecessary advantage of this.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  15. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2018

I find this pretty funny.

Yeah, parents would love for teachers to enforce this. They don't really expect it, even when they ask for it.

16. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Oct 2, 2018

I, too, find this hilarious and I’ve had equally unreasonable requests asked of me by lawnmower parents. For example, I had a parent last year who wanted to meet with me and her son on Saturdays at the school to discuss their student’s weekly progress. I declined her requests and tactfully let her know that I am allowed time off on the weekends like everyone else, but I would be more than happy to meet with her during school hours.

ms.irene likes this.
  17. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 2, 2018

This is terribly unreasonable. I can't understand how a parent would think this was okay to ask.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 3, 2018

That sounds an awful lot like a tutoring session where she would have to pay you for your time.What would she say to that arrangement?

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 3, 2018

We would get in trouble for suggesting it. We can't accept payment for tutoring our own students, or students at our school. As part of our "other duties as required," we are asked to keep office hours either before or after school at least one day a week.

20. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 3, 2018

Uh... no. LOL Really? Sorry! You are not the food police!