Lawnmower parents?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by blazer, Sep 23, 2018.

1. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 23, 2018

This isn't new. They just finally got a label for this group of parents. It has been around for over 20 years.

otterpop likes this.
  4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2018

It isn't new but it is far more prevalent than even 5 years ago.

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 23, 2018

I agree with the above respondents...

These parents always irk me. I think it’s great that they care and want to get involved, but some really need to step back and allow their students to make mistakes because a mistake made is a lesson learned. I mean, I had one student in particular years ago whose mother would email me at all hours of the day and on weekends to ask why her daughter didn’t get a 100% when she got a 98%, and would request parent-teacher conferences when she had a 97%. My response was nobody is perfect and students make mistakes on occasion — your daughter is no exception. I also mentioned how mathematics is graded on accuracy and her answer wasn’t totally accurate.

After these back-and-forth emails numerous times, I finally got fed up with them and involved admin, who told the parent to stop harassing me and her other teachers and to let us do our jobs unmolested. I was so elated after that because I was highly annoyed by the mother’s over involvement. Her daughter still was one of the Top 10 students and scored amongst the highest in the SAT, and she got into amazing colleges (Ivy League schools).

Thankfully, the mother finally stopped and apologized for her past actions and now she and I get along great! She actually is pretty awesome once you get to know her. It was just the constant poking and prodding that made my colleagues and I unnerved.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Backroads likes this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 23, 2018

I agree.

When parents email me about a grade, I often respond with some form of "Please ask your student to come speak with me before school about getting another copy / redoing the assignment,..."

The child does actually come talk to me definitely less than 50% of the time, and I often don't hear back from the parent either.

When a problem comes up in my classroom such as forgotten homework, I'll say, "What would you like to do about that?" I can often see on their faces that they are expecting me to solve the problem for them.

7. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Sep 23, 2018

It's been around for some years, yes. But I think in some circles it has become to be an admired class of parent. Or, such parents need to feel they need to make an appearance of looking like they care.

2ndTimeAround and otterpop like this.
  8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 23, 2018

I love this idea!!

I had a parent email me about an F. I wrote a nice response and I also said I noticed her son was having difficulty maintaining focus in class. Maybe I shouldn't have said that? BUT she never replied to my email and went to the social worker. The social worker said that this is a difficult parent.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 23, 2018

Parents know that I supervise the cafeteria during all lunch periods (we have staggered lunches from 11am-1pm). Anyway, a parent asked if I can make sure that her child eats his lunch in a particular order because he keeps eating his dessert and drinking his fruit drink, but throwing everything else away. So wanted me to make sure he eats his sandwich and chips first, followed by whichever fruit or vegetable she packs, and then his dessert.

txmomteacher2 likes this.
  10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 23, 2018

This is not a reasonable request and very bizarre.

11. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 23, 2018

My school has plenty of these parents as well!

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 23, 2018

Come down to elementary. These types of requests don’t happen infrequently.

Bibliophile, readingrules12 and MrsC like this.
  13. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2018

I get request like this daily for the first six weeks of school. I finally sent out a class message that said I do not eat lunch with your student. This stopped them for a while but it seems like they a memory the size of a flea.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2018

And I'm sure you hopped right on that request!! ;)

futuremathsprof likes this.
  15. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 25, 2018

This is such an inappropriate request! Some people!

16. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 25, 2018

I bet YTG can’t wait for more of them, lol!

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 26, 2018

Another request that makes me laugh is when parents want me to "make" another parent do something. For example (this just happened yesterday): "That car is blocking my view. I can't see the kids coming. Can you make her move?"

I smiled and gave some sort of snarky comment that made her laugh, but I was annoyed.

18. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Sep 26, 2018

I'm seeing this with parents overzealously advocating for 504s for their high-achieving high school students, even if the student has all As (or, shudder, a few Bs). Their students are excelling academically, but the parents still want their kids to keep the accommodations available for when they go to college. Meanwhile, we jump through all the hoops, do endless paperwork and waste time in meetings holding hands for a student who is achieving more than the "average" student who actually needs the help.

Geologygirl likes this.
  19. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 26, 2018

THIS!!!!

I have so many students with 504s now. At least twice as many as I did ten years ago. By far the majority of these kids are upper-middle class whose parents cannot fathom the possibility that their kids are perfectly average. If their kid is getting a B or gasp, a C, it MUST mean that he has a learning disability.

I had a student six years ago that had a 98 in my class. She was taking an AP class as a sophomore and the lowest grade she had was that 98. Her parents sued the district because the team initially refused to give her a 504. Another student was taking five AP classes in one semester and got a 504 because he was stressed out from his workload. WTH???

ms.irene likes this.
  20. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Sep 26, 2018

Are you in my district, or is it like this everywhere? All these kids have "anxiety." When I meet the parents, I generally get the feeling that we are accommodating the parents' needs even more than the kids'. I also personally have a diagnosis of anxiety, so I know it is real -- I'm not dismissing this as a real disorder. What I find alarming is the rate at which students are being sheltered from ever dealing with their anxiety, so they can learn to overcome it and live their lives productively.

Geologygirl likes this.
  21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Sep 27, 2018

Maybe the parents are making them anxious!! :whistle:

ms.irene likes this.