LAPTOP VS. IPAD!! PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Maxie, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Maxie

Maxie Rookie

Apr 21, 2012

Hello Teachers!! I am BRAND new this forum and joined to ask this question!! PLEASE help me and give me all your advice and opinions!! I just graduated from college (NY) in December. I am going to a job fair out of state soon since there are 0 jobs in NY!!

I am questioning whether I should get a laptop (Mac book air) or iPad with a keyboard and mouse. All of you have experience and I want to know what works best for you and why. I love the idea of how thin the iPad is and it's versatility. If I bought a keyboard and mouse it would basically be a laptop. I saw that there are TONS of great apps for the iPad in education at the app store. I am not that fabulous at technology and would need laptop or iPad for basics. Lesson planning, presentations, the usual. I am leaning toward an iPad because it seems to be able to do all that I need it to do. Some say that a laptop is a must though. What do you think and WHY?? Thank you!!

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Aficionado

Apr 21, 2012

I'm a PC gal, so I don't really know what to tell you between two Apple products.

I will caution you about buying something for school or school-related work without knowing the platform of the district you'll enter. I personally will not get an iPad or Mac because my school uses Microsoft Office for everything. I need to be able to go back and forth between home and school without any issue. Unless I'm totally off base, I wouldn't be able to do that with two different operating systems.

4. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Apr 21, 2012

Actually, you can. Apple is a good sport and allows you to save files as compatible with Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc.! It's a really neat feature.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 21, 2012

Apple does also run MS Office (says the woman who's used MS Word on her Macs ever since the days of the LC).

6. Maxie

Maxie Rookie

Apr 21, 2012

Ok good information!! Keep the information and opinions coming!!

7. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Apr 21, 2012

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2012

I have Macbook Pro and an Ipad! I love both!! I use my MP more than the IP. If this is for lesson planning, etc...I would lean towards the laptop.:2cents:

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2012

GET BOTH if you can afford it!:D
    Laptop has my vote though.
    Rebel1

10. Maxie

Maxie Rookie

Apr 21, 2012

Why do you use your Mac Book Pro more? Is it easier? Better to use?

11. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Apr 21, 2012

For making lesson plans, I would go with a MacBook (with Microsoft Office for Mac, if your school district is adamantly Microsoft). If you are going to be doing a lot of creating/typing, it's easier on a laptop. The iPad apps for word processing, presentations, movie-making, etc., are more limited than those you get on the Mac. I've never used a MacBook Air, but I love my MacBook Pro!

Edited to add: I have an iPad from my school, too, which I like to use when I need to be more mobile, but if I had to choose, the laptop would win out.

12. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2012

I have both and use them at different times. I hava a personal laptop that I keep at home and a laptop with a tablet add on and an IPad that are both provided by my school. Most of the day my laptop is hooked to my projector and due to the awkward shape of my room, I tend to write on the tablet instead of the board. The IPad is where I read my mail and either take roll on it or on my IPhone. I also take my IPad on lunch duty (I have an east duty in that I sit and watch the senior parking lot. They have to pass me in order to get to the parking lot so I use the time to return emails. If you go with a laptop, I would suggest a tablet or a tablet add on-- I got mine for $90 at WalMart and it the best investment that I have made.

13. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2012

You won't be able to print at school with an iPad. You have to have a compatible network printer. I need to use my NetBook for printing and lesson planning. And I often need to use a flash drive to transport student work from the classroom computer to mine.

I love my iPad, but it's not quite versitile enough for every task.

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 21, 2012

I personally prefer the laptop. I have an ipad for personal use and my school provided a macbook pro. I would never use the ipad for school unless I absolutely had to for some reason- it's a much bigger hassle. The apps on the ipad are fun, but I have to be honest and say I don't really understand the obsession. They're just not as good as laptops, plain and simple- and you can get a pc laptop for much cheaper than an ipad. I usually travel with my ipad just because it's so light, but end up wishing I would just have my laptop with me. If you like having the keyboard (I do, I hate typing on the ipad screen) it's also way less convenient than a laptop because you can only really use it if you're sitting at a table- which I rarely am with my laptop. I'm on the couch as we speak :)

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 22, 2012

My P has both. His laptop is on his desk. When he's walking around the building he has his ipad.

So, from that perspective I see that they can serve different functions. A professor friend likes her ipad (she has both), but when she's out working with teachers she doesn't have to worry about wireless with the ipad. If she wants to show that teacher a video she can just pull it up on the ipad. She also tells me I need a smartphone.

16. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Apr 22, 2012

You don't need a flash drive to transport files between computers if you have Dropbox. Install it, and you can save files in your Dropbox and open them from either computer. You can even open them from other computers by going to the Dropbox website and logging in. I use it for anything that does not have student info, like my lesson plans and lesson materials.

17. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 22, 2012

I have both....I prefer the laptop.

18. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Apr 22, 2012

MacBook. Our school provides us with one.

19. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Apr 22, 2012

I also have both and spend most of my time using the laptop. I use the ipad to be mobile, but don't do lesson planning or anything else I need to type on it. It's a lot easier to print from the laptop, too.

20. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 22, 2012

I agree!

21. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Apr 22, 2012

Long time Mac User. Since 87. I have MB-PRO, iPad, iPod, and MacPro.

If you can get one. It is the laptop far and away.

You can do things on the laptop you can NOT do on an iPad. There is nothing you can on iPad that you cannot do on a laptop (except certain games).

I have keyboard for my iPad but it is not the same as using a computer. The real issue is file manipulation and in my case editing PDF files to send out resumes on.