Lap-Band

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Sheila, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Aug 21, 2010

I am seriously considering the lap band. Due to many medical issues it might be my only saving grace.
    Has anyone ever had it?
    Pros and Cons please.

3. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 21, 2010

My husband is seriously considering the lap band procedure. We went to his general internist and discussed his weight and blood pressure... and his options.

We then attended a seminar which taught us the difference between gastric bypass, lap band, and a few other procedures.

The place where the seminar was appeared very thorough and they seem very rigorous in their screen process... for example, my husband would have to go on a strict diet and see a mental health counselor prior to being approved for the surgery, which is good.

For my sweet husband, food is a true addiction. He has been overweight since his baby pictures. While it would be nice and wonderful if he could simply shed the pounds with diet and exercise alone, it might not be his reality.

We have a baby on the way, so we're still figuring out how our insurance works with regard to those procedures.

I wish you luck with whatever you choose to do, my friend. :)

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 21, 2010

My friend had it with great results. She went from size 24 to size 8. She can't eat a lot...but is doing fine.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 21, 2010

I had dinner with a friend who had just had the bypass done. She said she would not do it again. She took 2 bites of her dinner and spent some time in the restroom. Consider it carefully and talk to a lot of people.

6. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Aug 21, 2010

From the people I've seen with it---you have to stick to the diet--if you don't, the results are really bad. One of the people I know just had to have it taken out because it was malfunctioning. PLUS (and I know this is just my opinion :2cents:) I believe that if you can stick the liquid diet you have to be on before and after the surgery (which is several weeks) then you can be strict enough to lose it without surgery. However, I do know that some people have extenuating circumstances as to why that's no necessarily true.

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2010

I've seen a few people-one with really good results, and one who had to get it taken out because of how many complications there were, including a lot of hospital time. I would be very hesitant after seeing the complications.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2010

I have considered it for myself and that's what I always thought - if I can be strict enough to follow that diet after surgery, I can do it now. Or, if I can't follow a diet like that now, who's to say I won't after surgery and seriously hurt myself.

9. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Aug 22, 2010

I had a friend do the gastric bypass. She lost alot of weight but has gained alot back (it was done more than five years ago). While it works in the short term, I think you have to be committed to a healthy, "normal" diet for it to work in the long term.

10. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Aug 22, 2010

I would strongly urge you to really research this. I know nothing about the lap band procedure, but I know of two deaths directly caused by gastric bypass surgery. My son was 16 when he lost his dad (at age 44) due to having gastric bypass surgery. A very close teacher friend lost her sister. I know that there are sucess stories, but even one death is one too many. I wish you well.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2010

A friend of mine had it done back in May. She looks fantastic! We'll see if she can continue the healthy eating in the long run.

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2010

The Lap band Is as different as night and day from gastric bypass surgery my first wife was a nurse on a surgical floor where the a majority of the patients were there for gastric bypass.
    I would never go for gastric bypass
    But the lap bend is not as invasive and does not involved in cutting major organs
    Most Insurance Co. require the strict diet (six months supervised by a MD.) and time with mental health counselor, some even require that you join a health club. As far as a liquid diet, liquids are a no no while eating and some time after eating.
    The Lap band causes food to remain in the upper part of the stomach where all the nerves are that tell you, you are full. It is not to make your stomach smaller to restrict the amount of food if you want you can still eat like a pig if you drink a whole bunch of water. It does sound like it does restrict food but it is just so the food triggers the nerves sooner.
    You stomach is totally intact and it is only constricted like a funnel to slow down the flow of food.
    I am planning to have it done as soon as I start Medicare (December)
    Most of my Weight I have put on in the last 6 years. so I hope to have it off in time so I can have my knee operated on.

13. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2010

Do a lot of research. I had gastric bypass 5 years ago. I lost over 150lbs and went from a size 26 to a 4. I've been a stable weight for 4 years now. Prior to surgery, I had a lot of counseling and worked with a nutritionist for over a year (before and after).

I had a lot of metabolic issues and now all my levels are totally normal. The bypass surgery changes how you absorb food and alters your metabolism. You have to follow a healthy diet plan for it to be successful, however the physical changes help make weight loss possible. Out of all the people I know who have had this surgery, those who committed to good aftercare and changed their lifestyles have been successful. Those who spent time trying to figure out how much sugar they could eat without getting sick mostly gained their weight back. It is not a quick fix, and sadly some people treat it as such. It saved my life. I can now eat entirely normally and am diligent about staying healthy. I am vegan, so sometimes when eating bulky foods I just have to eat smaller meals more often. After 5 yrs, I do eat cookies and coconut milk ice cream, etc, but I still have no idea how much sugar I can have without getting sick because I keep it to moderate amounts.

Lap band is safer, but it just restricts amounts so that you feel full.

14. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2010

Sorry to continue in a new post, but Im on an iPad and the box gets cut off.

Lap band takes a lot more discipline to be successful because it doesn't alter your physiology they way bypass does. Many people that I know who did lap band lost about half what they wanted and some have had it creep back. I think it is really keynto have a good after plan in place and work with a qualified nutritionist.

Whatever you decide, good luck!