Labor Day through Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bella84, Oct 11, 2017.

1. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Oct 11, 2017

Does your district schedule any weekdays off of work - paid or unpaid - for teachers between Labor Day and Thanksgiving? Do you get any teacher workdays - not PD days, but days where you can actually get some work done - during that time?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2017

We have weekly early dismissals, 2-3 of which are individually decided on how it's used (other days are full staff or PLC work). Other than that, we have one PD day that happens at the end of our already-crazy-schedule conference week. We usually have some tech, some curriculum work, and then also meet with the rest of the fourth grade teachers within our "region" of the district (~4-5 elem schools).

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 11, 2017

We have conferences next week, so we have a work day this Friday. In the past we didn't have work days prior to conferences, but our union negotiated these for us a couple of years ago. Next week we'll have a regular school day plus conferences from 4-8 on Wednesday, and then on Thursday conferences from 7:30 AM to 7:30 PM. Friday is a "comp day" (day off) for the extra hours we'll work during conferences. My first district made us work the 12 hour days for conferences, which were several weeks prior to Thanksgiving, and then said the Wednesday before Thanksgiving was the "comp day." As if any school is going to be in session that day anyway!

In my hometown they get Veteran's Day off, but no one around here does. A few districts do fall break, but I've never been fortunate enough to work in one of those districts! One of my teacher friends transferred to one this year and she got this entire week off, plus a full week for Thanksgiving! Her district doesn't do as many PD days as we do, so that's how they have the extra time to do a fall break.

5. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Oct 11, 2017

This is what my district does. Although the Friday after conferences is a PD day, it's still a day that we have to work and can't get anything done. They keep telling us that the only way to get the day after conferences off is to give up Thanksgiving Wednesday.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Oct 11, 2017

No. We don't have any days off in that period or any student holidays/ teacher professional development/planning/prep days.

We only get two and a half days off for Thanksgiving.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 11, 2017

We had last Friday off. The district is eventually expanding to a full week off in October. We start very early, though - kids were back the second week of August. We also have Veteran's Day off. We have a full week off for Thanksgiving.

We do seem to have a shorter summer than many other states, though. But personally, I like the more frequent breaks and the shorter summer better.

bella84 likes this.
  8. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Oct 11, 2017

This is what I want.

9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 12, 2017

We never really get any teacher work days. It's a shame. Having more time to plan and prepare would truly make many of us better, less stressed teachers.

bella84 likes this.
  10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 12, 2017

We have a half day of PD tomorrow, and half day to work in our classrooms. Then next week we have fall break from Mon-Wednesday. I need those three days off, and that afternoon in my classroom tomorrow, so badly!

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Oct 12, 2017

My district does. It schedule work days during that time. We had one this year in August on eclipse day, but that was unusual, of course. We have Labor Day off, but it isn't a work day. (We start the first week of August.) I'm currently on fall break. No work days during that time.

DH works in a different district. They do schedule work days during the year. He has had at least two so far, and maybe three. They also had Labor Day off and three days last week as vacation days.

12. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Oct 12, 2017

Then again, often times teacher work days are more meetings/trainings (helpful quite often, for sure, but also often add on more stress/other work)!

13. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Oct 12, 2017

Today's a 1/2 day with parent-teacher conferences from 1-4. Tomorrow is Fall Break.

14. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Oct 12, 2017

We started early this year August 21. Then we had Labor Day off of course. We have had one work day (parent conferences) and then we had Columbus day off. We will have three days of PD/planning in November. Second semester is where we have long periods of time with no time off at all until Spring break. So we go from January- March with no break at all and it's awful.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Oct 12, 2017

Our first day of school was Wednesday, August 16th. We had Labor Day off and we'll also have Veterans' Day off in November. We do get an entire week off for Thanksgiving, which is always nice.

It would be lovely to have a fall break in October!

16. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Oct 12, 2017

Do you not get MLK, Jr. Day and Presidents Day off? Those are the only days we get, plus we'll get one workday this year (usually it occurs in Dec., but it got pushed to Jan. this year), but those two days alone are more than we get in the fall.

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 12, 2017

We're off tomorrow. We do two hours of PD a month where students aren't there and we're on a special schedule.

18. Fun_Teacher

Fun_Teacher Companion

Oct 12, 2017

A few years ago, in my school district, the first day of school was postponed until one week after the anticipated 1st day.
    The extra week was compensated for, with an additional week of school in June. This was for exams in HS and MS. ES Schools were not effected....just lost a week of fun.

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 12, 2017

This week had Wednesday afternoon and all day Thursday and Friday scheduled for PD. We got through everything we needed to do by lunch today. I made phone calls to the parents of my students who are doing well (this was a pleasure) during the afternoon, then was released for the rest of the day. Tomorrow has officially been declared a school-wide mental health day!

20. Fun_Teacher

Fun_Teacher Companion

Oct 12, 2017

Hi. What is a schoolwide mental health day? I have never heard of it.

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 13, 2017

Okay, not OFFICIAL, official. The administrators told us to stay off school stuff and just take the day to recover.