Labeling Your Classroom- Help!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by SittinInATree, Sep 3, 2008.

1. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Sep 3, 2008

I have never taught pre-k before, so I don't know what to expect. But I have a question regarding labeling student names in the classroom. In Kindergarten, I just used names on cubbies, seats, etc. But the aide in my new pre-k room wants to use colored shapes for everything. Like little Johnny would be the blue square so I would label his cubbie and chair and spot on the carpet and attendance pocket thing with a blue square. But that just seems like a LOT of work and coordination! Not just that, but I think it keeps them from just recognizing their name instead. Please tell me if my expectations are too high and if so, do you have any other ideas on how to label my room to make it easier for the kids to locate their stuff other than the shapes? Thanks!

3. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Sep 3, 2008

I agree that the kids don't have to learn to recognize their name if everything is a color or a shape - I agree with the way you have done it so far. Now, on things like my choice time chart...I put stickers on their sticks so that they can manipulate the chart themselves w/o any assistance from me.

4. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Sep 3, 2008

What do you mean with the choice time chart?

Do you have their cubbies or seats labeled in any way? I think kids can remember those spaces quickly anyway.

What I need help with is if we have seats assigned on the carpet (which is another thing I don't know if I agree with yet), how would they find their spot quickly? She wanted me to tape shapes to the carpet. And coordinate those shapes across everything else.

Also, they each have pockets of their own that they put a stick in each morning as their attendance. She wanted the shapes on that too.

Could I do just their name? I was thinking photographs too.

BTW, this is pre-k

Thanks!

5. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Sep 3, 2008

I think you should just use names on their cubbies and table tops. That's what I do. Most states want them to be able to recognize/write their name before they get to kindergarten. I think it's good for literacy as well; they realize that letters make words and sentences. It can also stimulate pre-reading. TJMO! Hope that helps.

6. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Sep 3, 2008

Thanks that does help, I totally agree!

7. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Sep 3, 2008

I label cubbies (labels made on eichild.com) and their seat at the table with a desk tag.

The choice time chart is the way that I organize play time...

On the carpet, you could use carpet rectangles, felt squares, or tape Xs on the carpet.

8. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Sep 3, 2008

I teach 3s and I put their name and pic on most things at the beginning of the year - locker, attendance board, etc.

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 3, 2008

My class room name is Busy Bees and all my labels for attendance, jobs, coat hooks, cubbies and back pack hooks are all bees withjust the child's name on them. Table tops and lunch box shelf are labeled with yellow name plates with theri names on them. i don't label my circle area with specific places for them to sit. they sit on circle cushions and my rules for sitting at circle are cushions on the floor and bottoms on the cushions. The only thing that i have different is my playtime poster and for that each child has a colored circle with his/her name on it and when they go to play in an area they take their name tag and put it on the center label and they know that when there are no more velcro spots on a center sign they need to choose a different area to play in. Those circles are matched up with the same color circle on the poster.

10. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Sep 3, 2008

I also label all my toy shelves and bins with picture of that toy and the name of the toy. It helps with pre-reading and it keeps my room organized. The kids like the labels too, they are so lost without them. I haven't had time to finish labeling all my shelves and they are just at a loss as to where things go. I really need to get on that.

The shelf labeling is a requirement for the program that I teach. I like labeling cubbies and table tops with names because I don't like kids to share cubbies (gross) and I like to be able to seperate my friends who don't get along or are talkers.

11. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

I teach 3s also. I print their names on name tags, attendence check-in cards (calendar die-cuts), on the "word wall", on the bulletin boards, leader cards, and circle time cards. Some can read their names right away, most others can recognize their names within a couple of months.

12. young_ones

young_ones Rookie

Sep 5, 2008

I worked with a teacher who used objects that started with the child’s beginning letter. The one little girl (4yr t the time) never recognized her name until mid January. She thought her name was an apple. She when she saw an apple she would say “there’s my name!” Even when there was nothing labeled underneath it. That was hindrance to her name recognition.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 5, 2008

Any of those methods is fine. Just remember that you are the teacher. Use the method that fits your teaching style.

14. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

I just inherited a pre-k room after 3 weeks of school . . . there's a lot of, "Well, the other teacher did this". I think you have to do what works for you. I plan on having sentence strips with the kids' names that I will use at circle time and at transition times. "Whose name is this? If this is your name, come and get it and choose a center." etc. I also found out today that most of my kids don't know each other's names. :confused: So I will be taking pictures of everyone in the class and posting them alongside sentence strips with their names around the room (at their chairs, at their cubbies, etc.) Some kids won't know their names right away, and the pictures will help, but I'll probably take the pictures away after Christmas.

15. Prekfreak

Prekfreak Rookie

Sep 5, 2008

My cubbies and hooks have symbols on them, but everything else in my room has names on it. In the beginning they can remember a symbol quickly and then work on learning names. The symbols really help me though b/c we have a very high mobility rate in our area so when a kids leaves I know that the new one will take "x" symbol and instead of learning a new name for the spot.

16. forkids

forkids Cohort

Sep 6, 2008

I do symbols as well. Each student has a symbol - they are very simple and easy to draw: an apple, a balloon, a wagon, etc.
    I label cubbies and tables with both the symbol and their name in the beginning and move to names only as time goes on. I think the symbols are good for pre-writing/pre-reading skills. After all, the alphabet is just a set of symbols that we give specific meaning.
    The symbols help the children be independent in the beginning and give all children a sense of belonging because they can read the symbol even if they can't read their name yet.
    I also use the symbols to begin teaching writing skills. We talk about drawing straight and curved lines and how you can draw/write if you can make straight and curved lines. They first learn how to draw their symbol than progress to writing their name.

17. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2008

I use name labels with symbols from environments.com. I do wean them away from the symbols starting in October, but in the beginning, I have a high number of kids that can't read their names. (I teach PreK in a high poverty, high ESL area). In the beginning, I'd rather the kids learn rules and routines clearly, and if I'm expecting them to sign in and sign up for centers, find their cubbies, etc...and they can't yet read their names....it's going to be difficult for them to be a full participant in the classroom. Learning to read their name, adjusting to a new setting and rules and routines, seperating from mom for the first time AND hearing English for the first time is a lot for these little guys. So, I take away one of the stressors temporarily...and once they've mastered everything else, I work on names. Many of them have never seen their name in print before entering my classroom...but before I'm even ready to get rid of the icons on their names, most of them can read the name without help.

Bottom line - I want them to be successful in mastering the routine, I want them to establish independence in the classroom, and I'll give them whatever "crutch" necessary to do that at first.
    Kim

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Maven

Sep 6, 2008

ditto... you could have the aide from you-know-where, who is a control freak. Some people like to spend more time decorating than working.

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Maven

Sep 6, 2008

ditto Miss J!

that is such a hard habit to break. I think some assistants/teachers are worse than parents!!

Be open to change. Realize the only constant IS change! Learn, laugh..love...this is teaching...not rocket science! It does not have to be done the same way each and every day with the same things each and every year!!!

20. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Maven

Sep 6, 2008

High scope and symbols

I did High-Scope a few years and it drove me nuts!

All the kids had to be idenified with a color and a symbol. We split the room between me and teacher/aide. We had yellow and blue table. God forbid if a blue kid sat with me at the yellow table. My director saw this one day and had a straight up fit! Well, the other kids were talking with the aide in Armenian, and he felt left out...so he came over to sit with me. :unsure:

They used their symbols for everything. yes, I had a few kids thinking they were ducks and dogs for awhile too. Nevermind the fact the AM kids kept getting mad when the PM kids left their jackets and things in the cubby. "Somebody has a cat in MY space!!!" :dizzy:

I liked the idea for the areas. You put 4 hooks in each area, and then when you 'made a plan', the kids told you where they would like to 'work' that day. They had to take off their tags, and hang them on the hook. So, when it was time to clean up, you had no doubt who left the place in a mess! and it was easy to say next time, you will not play in blocks because you refuse to clean up..so we must talk!

Still, too structured for me...

I think you need to sit down and talk to your assistant. Some things can be the same, but some may be different...let's see how they work for both of us..and if I want something to change, let's work together.

It is...afterall, your room. If it doesn't work for you, how can you work?

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Maven

Sep 6, 2008

I think she means free choice, free play, areas, centers, etc.