Know Anyone Famous?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 19, 2008

Do any of you know anyone who's famous?...Ok, I'll settle for met or seen? :)

Don't know anyone, but...

I've shaken hands w/ David Copperfield at his show in Vegas.

Saw Christopher Reeves in a play when I was in middle school.

I've seen Robert Guillaume (Benson) once at a book signing at Nordstrom yrs ago.

I caught a glimpse of Hervé Villechaize (Tattoo from Fantasy Island) driving a golf cart while I was on Catalina Island when I was a child.

Seen cast from sitcom Sweet Valley High (based on the teen books) when I was a TV extra.

Saw Devon Sawa (Final Destination), Jaime King (Pearl Harbor), Laura Prepon (That 70's Show) & few others on a movie set when I was an extra.

I've seen several pro tennis players since I'm a huge fan & have been to some matches.
    - Jennifer Capriati
    - Lindsay Davenport
    - Anna Kournikova
    - Venus & Serena Williams
    - Elena Hantukova
    - Kim Clijsters
    - Richard Krajicek
    - Tommy Haas
    - Pete Sampras

I've seen some champion figure skaters because I've attended several ice shows: (to name a few)
    - Michael Weiss
    - Yuka Sato
    - Tara Lipinski
    - Todd Eldredge
    - Scott Hamilton

I saw a celeb walking in an airport, but cannot think of that person's name! :mad:

Probably several more when I've seen musicals & plays.

My mom's seen Charles Bronson in an elevator yrs ago.

My dad saw Bill Cosby when he worked at an airport.

Probably more to follow.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 19, 2008

In terms of actually knowing people, I went through youth group and summer camp with Seth Green but we lost touch ages ago (which kills me because he was a great friend, not because he's famous). Went to day camp with R.D. Robb, aka Schwartz from A Christmas Story (lost touch with him as well). My mom's cousin got me onto the set of "Head of the Class", where I had a lovely conversation with Billy Connolly right after he taped his first episode. Once I ran into David Morse at the same sushi restaurant, but he was with his family so I left him alone.

I've met a LOT of comedians just by hanging out towards the end of the line exiting shows. Most intimidating was Kevin Pollack. Most impressive was Eddie Izzard (he's really good looking in person). Nicest by a long shot was Gabriel Iglesias, but perhaps that was partially due to the audience buying him tequilla during his set.

4. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Nov 19, 2008

Pretty distant but my husband's cousin is married to Nicole Kidman's cousin.
    Got it? Never met, but we COULD one day, right?

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2008

I have met some country singers at concerts!!!

Have a cousin that use to be in the biz & one who use to sing background.

I have a cousin trying to break into the music biz.

Oops saw Danny Glover in an airport!!!

6. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2008

My sister's a member of an up-and-coming country/folk/bluegrass band -- not extremely famous, but they're getting there.

I've seen Don King a number of times on the streets of NYC, but I'm terrible generally at remembering faces of famous people, so he's about it. I've probably seen tons who I just haven't recognized.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2008

I used to work "in the biz," so I've met quite a few actors - Lynn Redgrave, Angela Lansbury, Bruce Boxleitner, Kate Jackson (though I try to forget about her - she was not nice to writers), the late John Houseman and Scatman Crothers. As far as actually knowing actors, I went to school with Greg Evigan and have known Jonathan Lipnicki (the little guy from Jerry McGuire) since before he was born. :)

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 19, 2008

Great thread!

My husband's grandfather was a very famous opera singer-Theodore Uppman. He passed away a few years ago, but we still live in that world when we go to New York. His grandmother always takes us to the Met for the current opera, and his costumes are in the closet. He was the original Billy Budd and was most famous for being Papageno in the The Magic Flute. He worked with Benjamin Britton on the operas, which is crazy because I use to sing Britton pieces in my choir growing up.

My dh is also a great-great-nephew of Seward, who bought Alaska. So we get to hear a lot of stories about that, and we have his silver.

His MOTHER works for a catering service in Carmel, CA, and meets celebs all the time. But I don't know them personally.

So I live through my husband's family. ;)

9. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 19, 2008

At my first teaching job, our ROTC instructor was a Congressional Medal of Honor recipient and the movie "We Were Soldiers" was based on the battle in which he won the MOH. He is a wonderful guy. I think he is retired and raising pigs now. They flew him to the big premiere of the movie back in 02. He still swears that teaching high school kids was the hardest thing he ever did.

10. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Nov 19, 2008

James Farrior (plays football for the Steelers) went to my high school. He was way ahead of me, but his brother played baseball with my brother so he always came to the baseball games. This was back when he played for college though. My mom does however have his autograph. She got it at one of the games and he kind of laughed then....But...a few years later he started playing with the Jets and then the Steelers. And of course...because you have to support your hometown, the Steelers are my football team!

Edited to fix my crappy grammar! :)

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2008

I met the country singer Bryan White before he made it big, and saw Leann Rhimes before she was big.

Scott Podsednik from the Chicago White Sox played baseball in a town not far from where I went to school. We were rivals. I remember watching him play ball before making it big.

One of my friend's brothers is in a band and they are really good!

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 19, 2008

MsI...my middle son idolizes Michael Wiess...we've met him on a few occasions....

[​IMG]

I've also had dinner with Shaq (large group), helped madonna shop for baby clothes (1st baby), and met Oprah. I'm sure there's some others I've seen because of where I live, but I can't remember at the moment.

13. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Nov 19, 2008

I met Richard Simmons a few years ago!
    But all I really remember were the blue sequin short shorts he had on:lol:

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2008

Be hard not to notice him!!! LOL!!!

15. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2008

Dwayne Hickman (Dobie Gillis) my dad worked with his dad
    Patti LuPone went to High school with (Libby Thatcher Life Goes On)
    Ricky "The Acid King" Kasso (killer) His Father was my SS teacher

I have Meet
    John McCain in LAX waiting for a red eye
    Mike Myers on his way to doing Wayne's World 2
    Alice Cooper out of Make up

I umpired Curt Schilling & Bengie Molina in High school and college,
    I argued with Tommy Lasorda during spring training

16. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Nov 19, 2008

I saw Derek Jeter (New York Yankees) in Toys R US buying a baby present before he became well-known. He was kind enough to take a photo with me. I also met a few other Yankee greats - Paul O'Neill and Jorge Posada - hanging outside the stadium.

This summer I got to meet Rachael Ray, which was huge because I LOVE her.

Once, I rode in an elevator with Regis Philbin but was too shy to say anything.