Kindergarten Teacher Interview Advice Needed!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by texteacher, May 14, 2012.

1. texteacher

texteacher Companion

May 14, 2012

Hello! I'm in the process of moving schools (I relocated where I live so I absolutely have to move schools as it is over an hour away from where I reside).

So, I started out teaching second grade, then after two years moved to first. I've been teaching first for the past two years and really enjoy it. Now I'm being interviewed by an entire kindergarten team this week! I'm really nervous. I've always taught in the inner city and this job is in in the suburbs. I'm not really sure what kinds of things they are looking for. What are things that most suburban kindergarten teams would look for in a teacher? What do you think makes a good kindergarten teacher? I'm not really sure I'm cut out for it all! I know that first grade is only one grade ahead of kinder but I've never had to deal with a lot of crying during the beginning of the year because they are afraid or anything like that.

I also wonder what are some suggestions about making the transition to the suburbs? I'm used to no parent involvement and this school is huge on that! During my initial interview, I was asked how I would handle a helicopter parent in my classroom. I said I honestly wasn't sure because I'd never dealt with it, but that I would look to my team for advice and suggestions. But now I am wondering, how do teachers deal with the occasional helicopter parent?

Please help! Any advice you have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 15, 2012

Suburb K is probably very similar to inner city 1st grade. A good K teacher is one who can get students excited about learning and school, teach through games and fun activities, teach students to share, organize their materials, and work with others.

We often have helicopter parents in my school. I think that the best thing that you can do is acknowledge that they know their child. They have been with the child since they were born and will continue on with the child after your year together. Listen to them and take heart on what they say. Then work together to best meet the needs of their child. Sometimes you give in and sometimes you hold fast, but it's important to choose your battles and make sure that you have administrative support when you do.

4. texteacher

texteacher Companion

May 16, 2012

Thanks for the advice. I do often think that suburb K might be similar to my inner city 1st. Do most suburban K kids come in reading or do you still get to teach them that? I'm so used to starting the year off with little blank slates!

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 16, 2012

Most of the crying the first week is from the parents! ;)

I don't have much advice for helicopter parents because that's something that I struggled with this year. I do agree with Mopar that you have to acknowledge yes they want the best for their kids, and then maybe find things they can do to help. Have a take-home basket for cutting out things for you or hold parent activities each month (kids performing reader's theater, etc.) that they can come participate in-sometimes if you channel that energy it satisfies them enough.

Kinder isn't that much different from First in the skills you teach, just breaking it down to a more beginning level. You have to be able to differentiate and work with the kids where they are. I think probably even suburban families are surprised at how stringent the curriculum is and even if they have been working with them at home, they won't have the reading fluency and comprehension skills that they will need coming out of K.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 17, 2012

Many of our K kids come in reading some. They know some phonics and some words, but you'll find that they have other skills to: colors, shapes, their ABCs, rhyming, etc. Not all the students will know the same things...so it's really finding those gaps and differentiating.