Kindergarten teacher fights state test

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bandnerdtx, Sep 12, 2014.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 12, 2014

3. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2014

I may be in the minority here and I understand that people don't like standardized testing, but I do not agree with her actions at all. At all. First and foremost, she's risking her job and if she gets fired, she can no longer be an advocate for her students. Not to mention, SHE COULD LOSE HER JOB.

Furthermore, it is part of her job responsibilities to administer these exams and she knows this. This is not some crazy whim or last minute initiative her Admin wants her to implement - it is a state exam. I'm sure these results are used somehow to classify/organize/label her students which means that not having data on them is not acceptable (IMO).

Personally, I'm not going to tell my employer that I'm going to disregard something they want and NEED me to do because I don't agree with it especially something as important as giving a state exam. Additionally, I feel like this sets a bad example for my students because I'm ALWAYS preaching about "exercising discipline as an adult" especially in the work place. I do not want to promote the idea that it's okay to dismiss authority (especially your boss) and do whatever you want just because you feel that you're in the right.

Good luck to her, though. I wish unwanted unemployment on no one.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 12, 2014

While standardized testing may have its place at appropriate grades, I think people are missing what is the real problem. In teaching 4 different grade levels, I have seen how incredibly different primary, intermediate, and middle school students are by nature. Therefore, it drives me crazy how administrators find something that might help older students, and then mandate it for all ages. Someone finally needs to stop and say "Hey, I know 5 year olds and this isn't the best fit for them!" I applaud this lady for doing so.

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2014

Is it not part of her job responsibilities to administer these tests? Why did she accept the job if she was not ok with mandated state exams? The FAIR is state mandated so I'm sure the data collected is used for something important (label, classify, organize kindergarteners). This woman just can't decide that her students won't have any data attached to their names because of her personal beliefs.

This is pushing a boundary that could be dangerous once crossed, IMO.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 12, 2014

I agree with Blue on this one. I also feel like the kids will be forced to take it no matter what. If I said I didn't want my kids taking the OGTs, my super would easily find a replacement to administer the test. There are better ways to go about this.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2014

The FAIR is just one of many tests given to Florida students that give the same data. That same data can be gathered by teachers in the classroom by using the assessments embedded in the curriculum.

I quit public school for the same reasons this teacher is expressing. I guess I wasn't brave enough to risk being fired by refusing to give the tests...I quit after the tests had been administered.

I applaud this teacher. We even had a school board in this state vote to refuse to give standardized testing...unfortunately, the board had to reconsider because of the graduation repercussions it would have created.

This insanity has to stop.

8. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Sep 12, 2014

It's really unbelievable how much instructional time is lost through standardized testing. What's even more scary is the amount of money states pay to the companies that create these tests. Hopefully more parents will begin to speak out about not allowing their children to loose so much instructional time for standardized testing. There is a middle ground between accountability and minimizing disruption to instruction hopefully one day they can find it.

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 12, 2014

Testing like this sucks. Good for her for doing her part to try and prevent child abuse.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2014

I almost posted this yesterday. I applaud her for taking a stand, and more so for making parents aware. I think the only way to get the madness to stop is if parents really realize what is going on and pitch a fit.

That said, as others mentioned, her kids will still have to take the test. It will be even more stressful on these young kids with a strange adult administering the test.

11. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Sep 12, 2014

This is in my district and there is a lot of support for her! The way they are testing kindergartners is just crazy. They way we have to test older grades is not as painful but still excessive. This week my students (5th grade) had 5 hours of testing - 5 hours of complete frustration because they are being tested on what they should know by the end of the year.

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2014

Child abuse? Really?:rolleyes:

Let's not. Just stop.

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2014

Until the law changes - until the FAIR is no longer a state requirement - the teacher must/should give the test. There's nothing more to it.

If she has such a big problem with it, then she needs to quit also.

14. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 12, 2014

:thumb:

15. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 12, 2014

Idk where I stand on her choice, although I know I completely agree with her take on testing.

However, I disagree that she automatically must/should give the test. Everyone has different motivations for teaching. Obviously, she feels so strongly about this that she is ok with risking her job over it. To just go with the status quo is ok, but I don't think it's necessarily wrong not to. Think of people who may have gotten fired over standing up for other civil rights issues. Would you say their actions were pointless?

16. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 12, 2014

This is truly an irresponsible comment.

Comparing a state test to child abuse, ridiculous and out of touch with reality.

17. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Sep 12, 2014

I also work in the same district as this teacher. I've taught 20+ years with about 17 of those in K. This teacher has taught 26 years. When I got in to teaching in Florida, FAIR didn't exist. There were very few standardized tests we gave. I personally chose to change grade levels three years ago, because teaching K was no longer rewarding for me. I felt that was my best option to solve the inner turmoil I was experiencing with what I knew was right for my Kindergareteners and what I was being told to do. This lady is in a place in her life to stand up for her students, her fellow teachers, and her professional conscience. I sometimes wonder if I'm just a machine of the state or am I really serving a purpose. I APPAULD THIS TEACHER FOR WHAT SHE'S DOING. The profession needs more teachers willing to share what's happening in the classroom.

18. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2014

Civil rights issues and mandated testing are two different things. As a Black women, I am not a fan (aka TIRED) of people using the CRM as a comparison for other "civil rights" issues ... so, I'm going to leave that alone.

Anyway, if you take a job and decide you don't want to do the job's required duties (as long as they are legal) due to your principles, then you need to quit. This woman should quit and spend her days lobbying her state lawmakers to make changes to their educational testing requitrements. Don't hold your students hostage because you feel the need to make a point.

19. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2014

I couldn't believe it either. Just can't with some of these comments.

20. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 12, 2014

I specifically did not reference the civil rights movement, because there are other civil rights issues and yes, I do consider the idea that educational and children's rights could be included in that very broad category. Not everyone would agree and that's ok. I am not trying to minimalize anyone else's personal experiences, but I do consider what is being done in education right now to be a disservice to our kids in more ways than just testing requirements.

That said, I will conform because I need a paycheck and I feel I can have a greater impact inside the industry rather than out of it.

21. teach1

teach1 Companion

Sep 13, 2014

I couldn't agree more. :yeahthat:

To the poster(s) who are expressing that she is doing wrong by her students by refusing to give them this state mandated test... I disagree. I would rather have my child taught by a teacher who was interested in my child's overall health/safety/happiness/learning. I understand that not all teachers are in a place where they can afford to/want to stir the pot... but I do appreciate that this teacher is standing up for what she believes in.

I am glad this teacher went this route rather than "quitting." This route shines a light on the situation in an important way.