Kindergarten Help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CowlyHole, Jan 3, 2018.

1. CowlyHole

CowlyHole Rookie

Jan 3, 2018

I was just recently hired to teach kindergarten!
    I had interviewed with this school in October and felt like I had nailed the interview, but the teacher decided she wasn't leaving. Fast forward to right before Christmas and I noticed they were hiring again and asked if I could interview again.
    I interviewed again and the rest is history.

I'm a new teacher. This is only my second year (and my first time teaching everyday). Last year I taught high school English (10th and 11th grade).

I'm feeling a little nervous about teaching kindergarten because it's obviously MUCH different than what I taught last year.
    I'm also nervous because it seems like the teacher I am replacing is very unorganized. I want to keep their schedule, but I can't really tell what it is.
    And then the icing on the cake, I shadowed for a little bit yesterday, then went in for orientation today. I should have had tomorrow and Friday to shadow some more, but school is closed tomorrow due to the impending blizzard. Because of the area, school will also likely be closed Friday (and who knows, there may be a delay on Monday).

My first day is Monday and I'm just not even sure where to begin. I love kindergartners. I'm very excited, but I'm feeling overwhelmed. The school seems amazing and all the other teachers are very nice and I know they'll be helpful. The teacher I'm replacing said that the other two teachers were making the monthly schedule.

Do you have any recommendations? Any helpful hints? What should I do to have a successful first day/rest of the year?

Thank you!

3. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Companion

Jan 4, 2018

You got this! Good luck!
    1.Be patient kindergartners range from immature to mature, some may still need help with bathrooms and everything.
    2. Be positive and make transitions easy along with rules being clear.
    3. SMILE

4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Companion

Jan 4, 2018

It's important to reinforce expectations and general procedures. You're a different teacher, but they need to know that basic school behavior is the same. Also, you may have students who forgot or "forgot" what classroom behavior is over winter break.

Since you're coming off of teaching much older students, it might be a good idea to watch a few episodes of educational kiddy shows to help get in the mindset and remind yourself how to format tasks for that age.

You might want to tweak the way you dress as well. You'll be doing a lot more sitting on the floor/squatting/bending, so be aware. I put shorts under skirts/dresses so I don't have to worry. It's a good idea to have a smock or apron to keep cleaner with art and science lessons. You might want a stain remover pen or something too.

Hokiegrad1993 likes this.
  5. CowlyHole

CowlyHole Rookie

Jan 4, 2018

Thank you both for the help! I'm sure that everything will be fine once I get in there, it's just being completely unsure of the day that is bothering me a little bit. :)

6. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2018

Set your expectations and make them clear to the students. Check first to see how strict or lax the school expects you to be. It will be easier to start out strict, even though sometimes you might feel mean. You can always step back and breathe after you know they can follow your expectations. If you start out too lax, it will be harder on you later. Good luck! Let us know how it goes! You'll be great!

7. LindaK

LindaK Rookie

Jan 5, 2018

You're not alone! Chad Boender is an experienced kindergarten teacher--and he's been where you are. He's written some great, quick reads about how to get through the first day, including creative "getting to know you" ideas and some funny things too. Google his stuff, including "4 First Day of School Ideas for Kindergarten Teachers and "4 Funny Student Excuses from a Kindergarten Teacher." Good luck!