Kindergarten First Day schedule and actvitites

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Bolivar09, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Bolivar09

Bolivar09 Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

I'm a first year teacher and i got hired Thursday and school starts tomorrow..... I need help with activities for the FIRST DAY.........

Here is the tentative schedule
    8:00-8:15 Hpmeroom
    8:15_8:45 Phonics interventions
    8:45= 10:15 language arts / reading
    10:15- 10:45 writing
    10:45-11:00 Recess
    11:00-11:30 Lunch
    11:30-12:30 Math
    12:30-1:00 science
    1:00 -1:30 Spanish
    1:30-2:00 P.E
    2:00-2:30 Computer

THANKS

3. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

Is this a joke? :eek:hmy:

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2009

Do you have an idea of your procedures for everything? Think about how you will integrate practicing routines and procedures into you schedule.

I'd do some self-portrait on the 1st day. Free math manipulative exploration in a math circle during math time. There's barely any time for me to do anything on the first day since we practice walking, talking and other stuff so much!

5. Bolivar09

Bolivar09 Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

KINDERGARTEN ......

NO! This is my schedule!!!!! I know that why I'm freaking out.....

Please help me

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 23, 2009

Kindergarten is based on Centers. You have reading/writing workshop. And Math Work Stations. While children have learning center time, I would pull small groups. There are several great professional books out there on setting up a kindergarten classroom. You might want to head on over to Barnes and Noble.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 23, 2009

What is a schudukle?

8. Bolivar09

Bolivar09 Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

IT WAS A TYPO....... EXCUSE ME MS. PERFECTION....... WHY DO YOU BOTHERING WASTING MY TIME IF YOUR NOT TRYING TO HELP ME

THANKS

9. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 23, 2009

Is this schedule mandated by your school or did you make it our yourself? I have noticed you previous pleas for help so that is why I asked.

I agree that the first week or even 2 weeks should focus on procedures for everything. Model and practice how you want them to enter the room in the morning, how you want them to line up, sit in group time, wash their hands, you get the idea.

I'm sure your first day will involve parents bringing in their children. Expect some tears from both. Once parents have left, you can start a modified schedule. We start with group time. Children sit in the floor and we discuss our rules, procedures, expectations and consequences. We follow this with a story and activity. Then it is time for a rest room break. Model the behavior you expect if you must use a rest room in the hall or even if it is in the classroom for that matter. Using a public restroom without a parent and in a large group is a new experience for many of our kids.

After RR, you can try to start on your planned schedule. Don't be surprised if everything takes longer than expected. Don't worry if you don't get it all in. While the children are working, you can make notes about them. Do they know how to hold/use a pencil? Are they left or right handed. Can they use scissors correctly? Also pay attention to who gives up easily and who works diligently.

Do plan a craft activity for the kids to take jome at the end of the day. We do a handprint.

I am curious if you are planning on using centers. They are really needed and appropriate in K. I also wonder if you take the class to a computer lab every day. We only have 3 classroom computers and go to the computer lab once a week for 45 mins.

I hope this helps a bit. Please let us know how the first day goes! PS Wear comfortable shoes! :)

10. Bolivar09

Bolivar09 Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

Hey!
    Thanks for the information. The charter school I got hired is a mess and no one has a clue was is going on. The principal is super lost herself.
    Here is a example of what i have plan for the first day of school let me know what you think please.

Dayana Bolivar
    Lincoln Marti Charter School
    Kindergarten Lesson plan
    8:00-8:15 Arrive, check-in, get name tags,
    8:15-8:30 Student and Teacher introductions
    • Get in circle
    • Review names
    • Share favorite color
    • Review class rules and consequences
    • Review procedures
    8:30 – 9:00 Morning Routine: Months of the year, Alphabet, Numbers, Shapes, Colors,
    •Calendar time (what's today's date, day, month, etc)
    •Weather frog
    9:00-9:30 Journal time
    Summer was fun because_________
    9:30-10:15 Miss Bindergarten gets ready for Kindergarten/ Discuss and Draw a picture of how they got ready for school. Share
    10:15-10:25 Bathroom and Water procedures
    •Practice knocking, saying "someone's in here," not locking door, flushing once, washing hands
    •Water fountain--counting "1, 2, 3 Goodbye" to "time" drinks for classmates
    10:25-10:45 Self Portrait Activity/Share with the class
    10:45 Recess
    10:55- 11:00 Discuss lunch manners, going through lunch line, any other lunch time procedures
    11:00- 11:30 Lunch
    Explain cafeteria rules
    11:30 -12:30 Math
    Read and discuss 10 Little Lady Bugs
    Practice writing the numbers 1-5
    12:30 – 1:00
    1:30-2:00 Physical Education
    •Discuss how to play safely on the equipment, when to line up, where to line up, etc.
    •Play outside
    •Get drinks
    2:00- 2:30 Art Hand Prints
    The teacher will assist the student in tracing their hands on construction paper .

11. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

Aug 23, 2009

12. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 23, 2009

Your revised schedule looks much more like a first day schedule!
    For handprints we use a big washable stamp pad or sponge brush their hands with washable paint. We call the kids up one at a time and use the area by our sink for quick clean up. Baby wipes work if you don't have a sink. If you decide to do this, do it earlier in the day to give it time to dry. :)

13. Rainbows23

Rainbows23 Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

yep was going to say your schedule for the year will not work on the first day. We have a staggered entry, eg 4 children or so come each day this week, then everyone Monday.

Mine, in short form, looks like this.

7am arrival , collection of supplies,

7.15 news

7.30 Decorate their name with glitter glue. Name recognition.

7.45 Discuss rules, Read ‘David goes to school’

8.00 School Tour (including bathroom and water) Practice Hallway Walking and cafeteria line

8.30. Imagine It, getting started, Day 1.

9.15 Specials/Assessment

9.50 - recess – rules, signal to come back and line up
    10.08 Lunch
    10.33 Bathroom Break

11 Math Investigations Including calendar and exploring manipulatives.

12.30 First Day Picture / Assessments.

1.00 Story/dismissal preparation.

1.30 dismissal

14. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 23, 2009

Rainbows23,are you in a public or private school? I'm in private and we also start with a staggard start or gradual entry. We have had groups of about 12-14 on each day with 2 small groups coming on alternate days so that they will meet most of the other children in a small group situation. We also start very early with the kids coming into the room at 7:30! Tuesday will be may first day with everyone in my class and we have PE at 7:45!

15. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 24, 2009

the second go around of your schedule looks great