Kindergarten Demo Lesson Help!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SCTeacher23, Jul 6, 2015.

1. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 6, 2015

I just had an interview today for a Kindergarten position. About an hour after the interview they called me back and asked me to come back to do a 30 minute whole group language arts lessons, but didn't give a specific topic. Any ideas?

3. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jul 6, 2015

Since it's the summer, I must ask, is it actually with children?

Include some read aloud. Concepts of print are huge in Kinder. 30 minutes is a long time for kinders to sit so include some kind of active engagement, pair shares, and such. Maybe something with a rhyming book, then phonological awareness of rhymes and then into how they would be written.

4. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 6, 2015

Yes - it is with children since they have a summer program going on. They said it would be 10-15 students. I like the idea of having a pair/share sort of thing. I was thinking of doing a turn and talk type thing. I am still trying to think of the best way to go about it. I have taught K for 3 years, but have generally done Read Aloud/Shared Reading lessons, Writing, and then Guided Reading/Centers. Since it needs to be whole group though, I don't want to only do a read aloud because I don't think it would help me get the job just reading a book to them - and generally my writing lessons have been a mini lesson with the students getting a lot of writing time. I'm thinking of doing maybe something with a read aloud, having the students turn and talk and then share out something about the book, and then maybe having them do some sort of writing activity?

5. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 6, 2015

You could read a story aloud, discuss charactere, setting and beginning/middle/end. After pair/share, send students to seat to draw/write about characters, setting, BME. I like to do this activity with fairy tales students are familiar with like three little pigs or goldilocks and the three bears.

6. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 6, 2015

That is a good idea as well. After looking at the district website, I was able to find their curriculum and it is very detailed. For their writing lessons, I noticed that they do a read aloud, mini lesson, shared writing, and then independent writing. I'm thinking of using this format to show that I did my research. I also noticed that the story I was thinking of using is actually turns out to be in their curriculum. I'm not sure if that would work in my favor or against me? I'm not sure if they would see it as a good thing that I'm using a book that is in their curriculum or would have preferred that I come up with something on my own?