Kindergarten Calendar Time

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by repete8, Jun 17, 2004.

1. repete8

repete8 Companion

Jun 17, 2004

Just wondering what a Kindergarten Calendar looks like, what it consists of, and how much time is spent at the calendar at a time. Thanks!!

3. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jun 17, 2004

My calendar time lasts about 30 minutes (sometimes more). There are so many math and reading skills that can be taught during this time that it is not something that you want to rush through. The following is my typical calendar routine.

Children move to the rug for calendar activities. At the calendar they listen to and sing "Good Morning Song" or "We're All Together Again (Greg and Steve CDs). Each month I feature a different pattern on the calendar numbers. I start with the easiest AB and move up to more difficult patterns as the year progresses. So we then look at the calendar and discuss and name the color that will come next. We also count the numbers to decide the next number. I choose a calendar helper each day to do the actual manipulating of the numbers, etc. So after the class has decided the color and number,the calendar helper puts it up. We look at the name of the month and identify it, identify letters and sounds in it, etc. This changes as the year progesses. Then we sing a day of the week song, talk about what day today is, and fill in the yesterday was, today is and tomorrow will be, talking about the words as the helper puts each one up. Again, talk about letters and sounds. The read and sign the completed sentences. Then we put a straw in the ones box and count the straws and write the number of days on the number line. If we need to regroup any straws we do that. I also keep track of the number of days using money. Each day we put a penny in the one cent bag and count the money. If we need to change up any money (ie: 5 pennies = 1 nickel, 2 nickels = 1 dime, etc) we do that also. Then we sing a weather song and discuss the weather. I keep a daily weather graph so the helper changes the hands on the weather clock and puts a color square on the weather graph showing today's weather. I use the graph to ask all kinds of questions and teach all kinds of math vocabulary - more than, less than, equal, how many, most, least. As the year progresses I use the weather graph to introduce addition (How many sunny and windy days are there?) I usually end our calendar time by reading a poem out of a Shel Silverstein book.

4. SweetSKP

SweetSKP Rookie

Jun 17, 2004

Margo,

Your calendar time is similar to one I observed in a 1st grade class. I think it's wonderful and plan to use in my classroom. Thanks!

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jun 17, 2004

6. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Jun 17, 2004

When I was helping teach kindergarten, they only had calender time for about 10 minutes. I love the idea of using money and using straws for place value- thanks!

7. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jun 17, 2004

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 20, 2004

In addition to what Margo said, we also practice counting to 100. Although at the beginning of the year we count to 10. If I didn't read a poem, I also used Silverstein, the kids would let me know.

Margo, what weather song do you sing?

9. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jun 20, 2004

The weather song I sing goes to the tune: Oh Clemantine

What's the weather, what's the weather, what's the weather like today?
    What's the weather, what's the weather, what's the weather like today?
    Is it sunny, is it cloudy, is it windy out today?
    Is it snowy, is it rain? What's the weather like today?

I use hand motions to go along with the song. For the "what's the weather" part I spread my arms/hands out like asking a question, for sunny I put my arms in a circle over my head, cloudy - cover my eyes, windy - hands back and forth in front of my body, snowy - wrap arms around body as if very cold, rainy - wiggle finds and drop hands in front. (I have no idea if any of that made sense - it's very hard describing hand motions. I do them in front of the computer as I type as if you can see them ;) )

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 20, 2004

:) It makes perfect sense! Thank you so much.

11. Amanda

Jun 20, 2004

Here is the weather song we use:

TUNE: BINGO

I went outside the door today, and sunny was the weather.
    S-U-N-N-Y, S-U-N-N-Y, S-U-N-N-Y
    Sunny was the weather!

I went outside the door today, and cloudy was the weather.
    C-L-OU-D-Y, C-L-OU-D-Y, C-L-OU-D-Y
    Cloudy was the weather!

ETC!

12. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jun 20, 2004

Amanda, do you sing the entire song each day or do you choose the verse that matches the weather for that day and just do that verse? I like that song. It teaches them the spelling too so when they get ready to write in journals they have some weather words to fall back on.

13. Mother Goose

Mother Goose Guest

Jun 20, 2004

Calendar

Margo
    I love your ideas for the calendar. I do pretty much the same as you, but my songs are on a CD I burned from many different CD's. I am not much at singing and so I had to have music to sing along.

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 20, 2004

The weather song we use is:
    What does the weather, weather, weather,
    What does the weather girl (boy) say today?
    The child answers
    Then we sing
    It is cloudy, it is cloudy, it is cloudy out today.
    C - L - O- U- D- Y
    (As we spell it I do the letters in sign language too)
    It is cloudy out today.

15. Amanda

Jun 20, 2004

We sing just the song for the weather that day.

16. repete8

repete8 Companion

Jun 20, 2004

Thank you for your wonderful ideas!!

17. CLouis

CLouis New Member

Jul 3, 2004

Teacher Friends,

This is my very first day participating in a forum. I think I am already hooked. Thanks for the great information about calendar time.

18. lilkidteach

lilkidteach Rookie

Jul 3, 2004

I am a preschool teacher and my children love to sing at calendar/circle time. I am not one for singing and would love some CD's that have some of these great songs on them. Does anyone know of some great CD's out there for this sort of thing?

19. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 3, 2004

I'm glad someone posted this. I'm going to start doing more calendar stuff with my Pre-S SPE class... we do the days of the week but that is it. This coming year I wanted to expand that... LOVE all these ideas!!!

THANKS!!
    Lori

20. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

Jul 3, 2004

Unless the excel at sitting still for a long time, I would limit calendar time to about 10 minutes. Of course, if they get engrossed, please keep the fun going until it puffs out.

21. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Jul 3, 2004

Morning Meeting Music

Dr. Jean Feldman has some wonderful cds with music that is great for group time. Her website is www.drjean.org. The CD Dr. Jean and Friends has the all the calendar songs. Her CDs are wonderful and I highly recommend all of them. You can see the songs and the lyrics for each CD on her website.

Becky