Kids who talk back

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2019

I have a very annoying student in one of my best classes. Overall, his behavior doesn’t impact the group because they are a good group. But he and two other students feed off of each other.

This student had an issue with me since the beginning of the year. My procedures are the same as most teachers (no bathroom during the Do Now, don’t ask me to go to the bathroom when I am teaching, etc.)

Yesterday, I had the kids start their Do Now. One student (who is a behavior problem in all of her classes) yelled out for an eraser. Even kids in my worst class know that they are not to do that. Another student (annoying kid) yelled out that he had one and got up to give it to her. I gave both of them a warning and this kid yells out “for asking for an eraser?”

A student raised his hand and asks to go to the bathroom as I was teaching. I said “no” as always. I got students started on work and another student asked and I said yes. This kid then said “that’s so rude! Another student asked first.” (The kid who asked obviously did not need to go because he didn't ask again for the whole class...lol. He just tries to get attention.) Similar comments occurred. At this point I informed him that there would be a consequence and he said “probably another detention.”

I needed a kid to go get something from another teacher’s room. A few kids wanted to go. I chose the kid who had the teacher before and was raising his hand quietly. This kid said it was rude that I didn’t pick a different kid who was yelling out.

I kept three kids (this student and the girl who yelled about the eraser and the other kid who yelled back about the eraser) 30 seconds late for a fun activity happening due to behavior. I spoke with this kid after and told him that his behavior was unacceptable. He said it was rude that I didn’t let a different student go to the other teacher’s room. I said that he needed to focus on himself, not my decisions as a teacher. I told him that he has a detention with me and I am also documenting his behavior from today.

This kid is bright and a good student. I do a lot for him. I offer him challenges, etc. when he’s done early. His behavior actually improved recently (I saw more of this in the beginning of the year) but yesterday was similar to the behavior I saw earlier.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  3. JimG

JimG Comrade

Feb 16, 2019

The eraser incident sounded innocent enough on both students’ parts. Perhaps it could have been a teachable moment: “Johnny, that’s nice of you to want to help a student out. What are some less disruptive ways we could have handled this other than yelling out and getting out of our seat?”

Regarding comments such as the rude accusations, I could see myself handling those in one of two ways.

(1) If I thought it was completely unsubstantiated AND that it would not segway into a whole debate involving multiple students, I might ask, “Why do you feel that is rude?” This forces the student to dig deeper into why he said it, and it will likely reveal that the claim did not have strong roots to begin with, much to his chagrine.
    (2) If both criteria in (1) were not satisfied, I would shut down the public display right away by taking the student into the hall for a discussion, or if that is not possible, telling him we will discuss it after class but for now we need to move on.

With each additional year of teaching, I have found more and more that not every action necessarily needs an immediate consequence. My go-to has become utilizing teachable moments and one-on-one discussions. If both of those fail to improve the particular student’s behavior long-term, then I begin logging every disruptive incident from the student so that if/when I write an office referral, the referral will carry much more weight.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2019

Honestly, if the eraser incident was another student, I would have agreed that it was inoccent. But the girl who yelled out was just trying to do it for attention/to be disruptive and the other kid who yelled back is the same way. I like the idea of having that conversation with the kids after class.

I also like the idea of telling the student that we need to move on. This has been a repeated issue with the student, so I did write this up as documentation.

5. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Feb 17, 2019

What grade is this?