Kids threatening to beat each other up help!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by MrT, Dec 16, 2006.

1. MrT

MrT Rookie

Dec 16, 2006

I had to sub a couple days for a rough mid/high school. Kids have had many behavior problems, jail, expulsion, drugs, bringing weapons to school, gangs, etc.

The younger kids are not as much of a problem, but 8th grade on up I have a hard time controlling them.

I had one class that was just out of control. Nothing was accomplished the two days I subbed for that hour. NO one in the class seemed to get along with a girl in the class. Everyone in the class would yell at her and threaten to beat her up. I tried seperating everybody from her, but they would still yell at her from across the room. It was really her own fault why she was being teased, she would encourage them on and challege them on. I think she enjoyed being the center of attention. I tried to move this girl to the back of the class, but she told me she couldn't see from back their and needed to be sitting at the front of the class. She was in her assigned seat and she was wearing glasses. I have poor vision myself, so I did'nt want to force her to the back of the class.

Finally I told them no one is allowed to talk to her and I told the girl to ignore the rest of the class. Anyone breaking this rule would get their name written down and have a detention. This worked for about 15 minutes and then the class started wispering insulting comments to each other about the girl. The girl overheard them and started screaming back at them. I wrote five names down, but this did not help. They told me go ahead give us a detention we don't care.

One sub overhead my class from the hallway and entered. He told me no don't give them a detention, give them all an in-school suspension. One girl liked this idea and blurted out "Hey I want you to be our teacher." I felt awful. The class did not like me. This same girl kept yelling at the class "HEY YOU ALL SHUT UP!". I told her to stop yelling. She told me "well they are not listening to you so I am taking over." I told her I was in charge and If I heard her yell one more time her name was being written down.

I don't know how to send kids down for an in-school. I searched the room for some kind of paperwork to fill out, but couldn't find any. So I told the kids that if their name was written down they were getting either an in-school suspension or a detention when their teacher comes back. This helped a little, not much.

One female student, after I told her her name was written down, still persistently threatened to beat the girl up and got up into her face. I seperated them and told the student "THAT IS INAPPROPRIATE! YOU WILL NOT THREATEN HER! YOU WILL NOT TOUCH HER! DO YOU HEAR ME!" I stood by the student for a couple minutes. The girl challenged me, getting up out of her seat pretending she had to sharpen her pencil, but her real motive was to walk by the girl's desk and antagoize her. I told her "NO MORE GETTING OUT OF YOUR SEAT, IF YOU NEED YOUR PENCIL SHARPENED I WILL SHARPEN IT."

I found out this girl had a twin in my next hour that no one likes either. This hour was similar to the previous one only I actually did get work accomplished and the kids were easier to control.

At the begining of class I was trying to take attendace when this girl claims a boy hit her with her purse. I felt guilty, I did not see it. I was busy looking at my attendance sheet and trying to mark down who was absent. The boy insisted he did not do it, and the class backed him up claiming this girl always makes up stories. I told the boy "well what were doing with her purse in the first place?". He fumbled for an answer. I told him his name was getting written down , because he shouldn't even of had the purse. He pleaded for me not to, he was one suspension away from being kicked out of the school. I felt bad for him, but I had to be fair. I told him I was writing a report of what happened and he could explain it to his teacher on Monday.

Also somone had written on this girl's binder with a marker. They keep their binders in the room. I felt real guilty about this too.

As a side note:

I am very short just a little over 5' tall and that is usually the first comment many of the older students make. Since most of my students by 8th grade are taller than me they don't want to take me seriously. They tease me about my height and call me midget and shorty. I ignore them and try to be as authoritative as possible. This is off-topic, but I feel If I was taller I might be treated more like an adult by my students.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 16, 2006

We have a "no bullying" policy, so all those involved would have been referred to the office. And since they were disrupting the class, it would have happened THEN. If the entire class is involved, then I ask the principal to come into the class and discuss it as a group.

4. Major

Major Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2006

Ima Teacher, this is an excellent response. There is no reason for Mr. T to take that kind of abuse. They should been removed from the class immediately.

Major Hunt :)

5. Major

Major Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2006

MrT, I respectfully suggest that you not teach middle school and high school, at least not at those schools which are know to be "tough." Best of luck to you.

Major Hunt :)

6. SCIENCE GUY

SCIENCE GUY Rookie

Dec 30, 2006

Mr T's problems

You probably should have called to the office and got help. When I subbed I used that twice and the administrator did not even have to enter the room - the message got across. As to your physical size -- it does help to be big but I have seen some very small women handle classrooms effectively. You need to adopt the approach that this will not occur in your classroom and if you do't get administration support do your substituting elsewhere.

7. charleybrown'sT

charleybrown'sT Rookie

Jan 11, 2007

Maybe act as if you are calling the principle and say that he/she said to send up anyone misbehaving.. It works in Kindergarten!