Kids that never crawled as babies...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Danny'sNanny, Jan 25, 2006.

1. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2006

But by looking at some of those sites it seems to me it's not just crawling, but getting the kids to exercise both sides of the body. I mean if the kids are getting exercise w/both sides then aren't you doing what the crawling is for???

Bobniborg...you didn't make me mad either. Look at some of the people into their 90s do you think they ate fat free stuff...not in a million years...lard & all that stuff "they" say is bad for ya!!

2. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

3. skelley

skelley Rookie

Jan 27, 2006

My school does SMART gym activites in kindergarten classes. One of the activities they do is crawl on mats that have the letters on them. As they crawl, whenever their hand touches the letter, they have to say it and the sound it makes. They also do a lot of spinning, ball activities, monkey bars, etc. I think it really benefits some kids and others really don't need it. I'd like to send some of my first graders to do it though. :)

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jan 27, 2006

I have heard of this... I had a class in college about it and we had some workshops at school. In my class, we were assigned a child to work with and had to come up with activities to help them develop better fine motor skills, cross the midline, etc. I'm surprised if someone in the education field has not heard about this research.

In reference to reading, a child must be able to track from left to right in order to read a line in a book. Kids who have trouble crossing the midline have more trouble reading. If you have a student with this problem point to the words as they read, you can see them use their left hand to point to words then switch over to the right hand once they hit the middle of a line.

I'm sure it's possible that if a child doesn't crawl, he can still go on to do great things. The problem arises when the child who doesn't crawl never has the opportunity to make up for it in other activities. You can incorporate midline crossing activities into almost anything you do. It doesn't have to be silly. I remember a teacher who worked with kids by going up and down stairs, making sure they alternated feet. It was also an easy way to spot kids who had a problem.

I remember discussing this also with an OT who worked with kids on handwriting. She had noticed more problems in recent years since children are not placed on their stomachs as often due to SIDS. Lifting themselves up from their bellies is a precursor to crawling. The muscles that are developed in the forearm, wrist, etc. when a baby crawls are important for handwriting.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 27, 2006

Just to make sure our terminology is aligned with all those teacher tests: crawling is on the belly, pulling oneself along with elbows and hips; if the kid is up on hands and knees and moving from the classic "Daddy, play horsey" stance, technically it's creeping. And, no, I didn't make this up...

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2006

Okay, using TeacherGroupie's definition, my son did "crawl" he didn't "creep".

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2006

My first child never crawled....she just got up and walked all the way across the floor one day without warning at 8 months old! And now she is in first grade and is reading on a 5th grade level. She can certainly crawl now, but never used it as a baby as a means of getting from one place to another.
    Kim

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 28, 2006

Right, it is the cross midd-line activity that stimulates the brain that babies need at a crucial time in their development. The advent of more and more hours spent in car seats, jumper things, walkers, strollers, swings, on their backs as opposed to on the tummies, has affected this. People used to often simply put their babies down on a blanket on the floor. When fewer moms worked, there was more opportunity for babies to play on the carpet (theoretically), and less time in the car. Even socializing was less formulaic and couples with young children got together in homes and the babies were on the floor or in play pens. TV and computer screens for toddlers just exacerbate the problem.

One suggestion is to incorporate cross-body movements with songs in the early grades. This was all from a great workshop I attended but, unfortunately, I can't remember the name of it.

9. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2006

Actually around here it is the other way around. Creeping is on the belly and crawling is on all fours. I thought that was how it was everywhere actually.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 29, 2006

The La Leche League Web site that czacza posted has this:

"Mimic your baby's movements - stretch head up, crawl on belly, creep on hands and knees, roll over, and sit up."

There does seem to be a fair bit of variation in usage on the Internet, but the standard usage, at least on the West Coast (and possibly driven by the old MSAT exam) seems to be that crawling is on the belly, creeping is hands and knees.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 29, 2006

My best friend's sister is a child psychologist and there really is a lot of research out there about children who don't crawl and there successes in school later on. My nephew crawled for all of 10 minutes before he was running. He struggles in school. One niece crawled forever before she walked and is now a wonderful student. Is it because of the crawling? I don't know. It's an interesting thought, though, to make the connection from motor skills as a baby to their academic success.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 30, 2006

No, Grammy, I don't. It is an important thread, but you don't have to read it.

13. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jan 30, 2006