Kids picking their seat?????

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by skittleroo, Jul 13, 2010.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2010

Does anyone here NOT assign seats? I am oddly interested in this notion of children choosing to sit where they like. I like giving kids choices. However, it seems to me that this could cause trouble with, "I was sitting there" BLAH BLAH BLAH!

I certainly don't want to change something that works (assigned seats) for something that may cause problems.

I do allow children to sit where they like for writer's workshop and independent reading so its not like they never get to have choice where they sit.

What do ya'll think????

3. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

I think for kinder you should give assigned seats. I think it would add more chaos on the first day of school when you have both parents and students in your classroom. I just keep thinking of the shy kid who wouldn't be sure where to sit.

I have let my students choose their own seats during the last few days of school. But I had a couple ground rules. Once they sat down they couldn't move. They could not save seats or make someone feel bad if they chose to sit by them. It worked out pretty well.

4. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jul 13, 2010

When I taught K for the first time a few years back I had the same question. I decided to try non-assigned to begin with, knowing that if it became I problem I could easily change it. I was amazed that I didn't have one conflict over seating the entire year! :) I'm back to teaching K this year and wonder if it will work again or if I just had a really easy-going class that specific year. I think I'll try non-assigned again to start! *fingers crossed*

5. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

I do have assigned seats on the rug and at the tables. I change seats at the beginning of each month. By mid year I allow the children to pick their own seat at the beginning of each month, but they have to keep that seat until we change again. Of course if they pick a seat and it doesn't work they know that I will move them.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 13, 2010

I start out the year with assigned seats-but one time we took off the name tags to change them and I realized I didn't have any contact paper to redo them. So when the kids came in the next day, they said "we can sit anywhere?" and I let them; from that day on that year it was their choice-they were so excited.

Now I did have to make some caveats as we progressed-Johnny couldn't sit next to Sally because no work was getting done-but other than that it was fine. We kind of have a class mantra that there's no "mine" in our room-the seats just kind of fell along with that philosophy.

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2010

1. My daughter's fifth grade teacher didn't have assigned seats, but the seat that the kids chose as they walked into the room was theirs for the day, no switching. I was taken aback...how could this work? Won't they just sit with ther friends, (gasp)? Will they talk? You know what, it worked just fine.

2. I teach PreK and assign spots on the carpet based on who needs to sit near me and who cannot sit near who, who needs to be in the back because they sit on their knees, etc. But at tables, it's free choice. Never an issue.

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2010

I think I want to try it - not on the first day. I'd probably want to have first week assigned seats so they have a place that feels like theirs. But I'd also like to incorporate choice if I can. We'll see how it goes.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 13, 2010

I thought about trying this for the last week of school, but I was worried that no one would want to sit with some children, and they would feel sad. Or, other children would have tons of kids who wanted to sit with them. I had a boy in my class that everyone really looked up to. The girls all thought he was their "boyfriend," and the boys all thought he was their "best friend." I can just imagine what would happen if I told the kids they could sit with anyone!

This coming year I'm going to have 2 students with a full-time aide, so they have to sit together.

I haven't had a class that I thought it would work with, but it might with some.

10. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jul 13, 2010

I wonder with those who have tried it later on in the year and it didn't work, if it didn't work because the kids already got a sense of entitlement to specific seats/spots... ??? I honestly have noooo idea, just a thought :unsure:

11. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Jul 13, 2010

I say that you should start out with assigned seats...for some reason I think it makes them feel secure, that you have a plan and are the one in charge, etc.

I prefer to assign seats not only because of the increase in talking when students are allowed to sit next to their friends, but also due to what someone else mentioned...there's always someone in the class that no one wants to sit next to, and I want to avoid that kid getting singled out because others don't want them to be beside them. There's enough problem trying to get that poor kid a partner during group activities without having seating arrangement issues also.

Another reason I like assigned seats is that I can put the kids who need extra attention in a central place in the room or at least a place that I will have really good access to them when they need it.

12. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 13, 2010

I think I'm going to have some times where they need to stay in their assigned seats, and times when they can choose. I know that the last time I had my own classroom, I found that it worked well that way. I also tend to change around the seats often-whenever most of the name plates were off, it usually meant the kids were too comfortable with their spot, and paying more attention to picking off the name plates than to what they should be doing at those times.

13. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2010

I don't assign seats the first day. At Meet the Teacher, I give each kid a sticky note. They write their name on the note and place it on the table where they want to sit. When they come in on the first day of school, they already know where they are sitting.
    I make seating arrangements starting from the 2nd day. On the 1st day I kind of observe how the kids act and make judgements from there.

As for the rest of the year, the kids have assigned seating. However, in Writer's workshop, they sit at designated tables. They can sit wherever they want at that designated table next to their writing partner. In math they work in stations around the room wherever they want. In reading workshop they sit wherever they want.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2010

Coming from a mom's perspective:

Brian started Kindergarten with our next door neighbor, and they were in the same class. Kristen at that point was VERY clingy. She would have chosen to sit next to him. He would have chosen instead to sit with the boys.

Julia started with her best friend from Preschool, and they were in the same class. They would have chosen to sit together and wouldn't have made as many new friends.

Kira started with her best friend-- they're still together constantly. They would have gotten in trouble constantly for talking.

(Then again, Kira wouldn't have had the seating issues she had this year either)

I would assign seats in the interests of getting kids that young to branch out and make new friends.

How funny--It's pretty much the opposite of the reason I assign them in high school.

15. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jul 13, 2010

These are some really good points to consider Aliceacc. Definitely gives me more food for thought regarding my non-assigned seating.

In direct response to: "assigning seats in the interest of getting kids that young to branch out and make new friends" .... I found that the year I didN'T assign seats the kids made friends and were social with ALL of their classmates as a result of not having sat beside the same person each day. It was always changing and therefore the kids got to know and work with all of the kids.

:confused: I'm confused!

Perhaps I will change my plan to a mix of soime assigned and some not...... :dizzy:

16. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2010

I think I have decided to have assigned seats still, but incorporate more times when they can choose (other than writers workshop). We don't sit at the tables much anyways. Thanks everyone - these are great points to consider.

17. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jul 14, 2010

I assign seats the second or third day of school. As a part of my behavior managment plan, if a student did not receive any steps on the bm checklist during the first and second nine weeks, they will have the opportunity to sit where they want after the first semester. Usually by then, they are comfortable where they are and do not want to move. I use a learning style inventory to determine my seating arrangement. There's a statement on the survey that the students respond to telling me where in the class they can expect to do their best (can't remember the exact wording). If a student does better in the front, then I put that student as close to the front as possible and so on. It usually works pretty well. However, I will have some that will say the back simply because that's where they want to sit but has nothing to do with learning. So I'll give them a chance, and if I see they are not paying attention or causing trouble, I'll move them. After a warning, the backseater usually straightens up.

18. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 14, 2010

I also assign seats but I change them every month. I actually change everything on the first of the month. We change seats, the calendar, I change the curtains, I have a flag that hangs outside the door, and they have a velcro name plate in their cubbies and it changes, the art center picture theme changes and the outside bulletin board changes. I like to see if they notice the changes each month.

They love being able to switch seats and I always tell them they can sit next to anyone for just a little while!

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2010

Did anyone else laugh at the name of this thread?

20. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jul 14, 2010

LOL! I hadn't noticed :lol: cute

21. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2010

ok now I got it. That is really funny!:D:D:D:rofl::rofl:

I thought you were making fun of my mistaken grammar.