Kids coming to class stoned

Discussion in 'High School' started by Mr.Moor, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Mr.Moor

Mr.Moor New Member

Mar 25, 2012

I just recently got a long term substitute job at a high school in teaching economics. So far i have been teaching for 3 weeks and the problem is a lot of my students are coming to school stoned :|. Especially my 6th period which is after lunch. I have talked to the class about this issue and told them I do not apreciate this behavior. They seemed to have taken it well and listened to what I had say but there still are about 6-8 kids arriving to 4th period blatantly high :mad:. And some of these kids bother me because they don't take notes, participate, or get any of their work done. I really don't want to take this up with the administration, because I would hate to see the amount of trouble they would get in. If this persists it looks like that's what I have to do. Has anyone else encountered this problem, or have any suggestions because currently I'm at a loss on what to do here.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2012

Take it up with admin, even if you hate the idea.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2012

Agreed. This is beyond a class management issue and needs to be referred "up".

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2012

It's against the law. The kind of trouble they'll see now is nothing compared with what will happen if one of them gets behind the wheel of a car stoned.

Administration needs to know, first thing tomorrow.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 25, 2012

I usually casually e-mail the AP and mention that I suspect a student may be under the influence, but that I'm not sure and I don't have enough evidence for a long form. Usually he can come up with some reason to come talk to the student. When I have a class full of suspicious students, I'll ask for a "random" search. It helps.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 25, 2012

It's great that most of them listened to you! But it seems like the issue with the 6-8 kids is out of your hands, and they won't change unless something is done. I would talk to administration about it.

8. Mr.Moor

Mr.Moor New Member

Mar 25, 2012

I guess I'm going to have to bring this up with the assistant principal and give these kids a big eye opener. Thanks for the advice Ill let you guys know how it goes.

9. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Mar 25, 2012

Well, just be prepared for any possible answer from your administration. You and I know the correct answer (as I believe all of those that frequent this board do), but just be ready for the unexpected.

I've asked our administrators if they want to be alerted to when a student appears to be high or smells of pot. The short answer I got from them was, "Nope."

Earlier in my career, the entire faculty was, I'll say, "admonished," "You're in no position to tell if a student is high or not. You're no expert. You're to take no action."

The moral of the story is, there is a segment of administrators that try to cover-up issues and will do anything to ignore an issue because they feel it makes them look bad to their bosses. (And it's less for them to deal with!)

10. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 26, 2012

When we suspect this, we immediately have the student taken to the nurse for an evaluation. If positive, parents and police are called.

If my suspicion is very mild, so that I do not think the above warranted - could he just be tired? - I report my suspicions to the school drug counselor and to the student's guidance counselor. If it is part of a pattern, they look into it.

We have been encouraged, though, always to do something.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 26, 2012

Our school policy is similar to TeachOn's. The first thing we do is contact the school nurse (usually via email) during the class. She takes the kid to her office and does her magic. If she feels the student is under the influence, the parents are called. If it's just a possibility and we really aren't sure, we email the administration and they come "talk" to the kid. And yes, while doing drugs is illegal, in school the only SUPER harsh punishment comes if they have the drugs still on them. So while they will get in trouble (hopefully, unless you have a situation like Reality Check describes... which I have seen before, too), they will probably only be expelled or suspended if they are still carrying the drugs.

Here's the danger with ignoring it. If the student ODs and you did nothing, what then? How will you justify it to yourself, the parents, the administration, etc? You don't know what kind of drug(s) the student took. You have to do something.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 26, 2012

If something happens and you it is found that you had any suspicion, YOU will get in trouble.

13. bondo

bondo Cohort

Mar 26, 2012

Good point, cutNglue.

Also, the kids are obviously not productive in class so what's the point of even having them in their. If they get in trouble (as they should) so be it. You and your students will be better for it.

14. schenk11

schenk11 Rookie

Mar 26, 2012

"Saving" these few students from getting in trouble is not worth your career. Since you talked to the class, you have admitted you have suspicions, if you do not take them to administration and it is found out (through someone getting hurt, or someone telling administration you talked to the class) you knew, you will be in trouble yourself.

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 26, 2012

I'm going to take this from a different point. If I found out that my child was at school & high, drunk, hung-over, whatever & a classroom teacher even suspected it, but didn't do anything, I'd be one upset Momma bear.

Please kick this up to admin!

16. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Mar 29, 2012

My two cents is that I was one of those kids. I was high all day, every day in HS. From before school opened till I went to bed.

I am sure it must have been obvious, but not one teacher ever said anything to me. So I figured they didn't give a rip, and I kept doing it. I wound up crashing and burning...

There were teachers I respected. I wish one of them had said to me, I tell you what. You stay straight tomorrow, at least through my class, and see how you do. Maybe you'll even find it interesting. I don't even think a reward would be needed, if someone had just shown they noticed and cared.

17. Red Apple

Red Apple Rookie

Mar 29, 2012

You need to tell the administration. Not only are these kids a danger to themselves, they are a danger to everyone else around them. And the children who are doing what they are supposed to aren't getting a decent education when you are policing the pot smokers.

I would tell the administration your suspicions and ask them to look into it. And do it via email that way if something does happen you have proof that you did something.

18. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2012

I agree with everyone else that you need to report it. They will get in trouble now, but it will probably help them in the long run.

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2012

Your story is a powerful one, silmarienne; thank you for sharing it. It really reinforces the fact that we need to address this, not to get kids in trouble but to get them help.

20. Red Apple

Red Apple Rookie

Mar 30, 2012

Further more, yes they will get into trouble but they are minors. Unless they are selling pot, there probably won't be major trouble.