Kicked Out of teacher's lounge!

Discussion in 'Paraprofessionals' started by teresaglass, Apr 21, 2009.

1. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Apr 21, 2009

Today the administrators at our school decided to celebrate Administrative Professionals Day. They were setting up in the teacher's lounge when most of the special education paras were taking their break. About halfway through the break everyone of the paras was asked to leave immediately because of the reception for the administrative assistants. WE were told were were in the way and they had to use the tables for pastries and for the party. We ended up taking our break at the outside tables the students eat at. We watched the administrative assistants, the Vice principals and the Principal go in. One of the Vice Principals apologized to us. WE were upset and humiliated. I am glad I am looking for another job. I think they treat paras like dirt in this school. I am tired of being humiliated when I do a good job.:|

3. Camel & Walrus

Camel & Walrus Rookie

Apr 22, 2009

School bureaucracy :(

4. wig

wig Devotee

Apr 22, 2009

I'm just wondering: Was this the straw that broke the camel's back type of thing? Or am I missing something? Were there others in there taking a break and only paraprofessionals were asked to leave? Was it the WAY you were asked to leave that is humiliating? I guess I am missing the big picture here because the little picture APPEARS to be more of a minor inconvenience.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 22, 2009

I'm wth wig. I think I'm missing something.

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 22, 2009

We are celebrating ours today.

Was it a timing issue or something? Certainly they weren't expected to go eat at the kids tables on Admin day.

ETA: I'm missing something here, too.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 22, 2009

that wouldn't happen at our school. How rude of the admin. The paras would have been invited to help out, or just plain invited to help celebrate Admins day with everyone else.

8. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Apr 22, 2009

Only paras were in there taking their break and we were ordered to leave. That was humiliating. It was a timing issue. The paras take their break after the teachers because they have nutrition and lunch duty watching the kids. The paras were not allowed to help or celebrate. We were considered beneath the administrative professionals. Even the custodians at our school are above us. If we ask for something for our teachers we are often kept waiting. We often get yelled at by office staff.

9. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Apr 22, 2009

So because they wanted to honor the admin assistants you are offended? I don't get it either....

10. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 22, 2009

It would have been nice if the paras had been notified beforehand that the teacher's lounge was going to be used that day. Then the paras could have made other arrangements (before settling into the lounge).

11. sk8enscars311

sk8enscars311 Companion

Apr 22, 2009

What is it with paras getting treated like that? That's how it was at my old school and more times than not, the paras did more work than the teacher they assisted. Many of times I'd find the spec. ed. para (47 years old) hiding and crying in the computer lab because of nasty things people do and say. She completed an undergraduate teaching program but couldn't finish because she got pregnant and didn't do her student teaching. It's just not right... I hope you find a job next year where you are valued!

12. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Apr 23, 2009

I was offended because we were told were in the way and were ordered to leave immediately. I do not object to the celebration. I just do not like being ordered out of the cafeteria like I am beneath everyone. We all felt embarassed. This was not just me.

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 23, 2009

I agree with Glenda - it would have been much nicer if maybe they had announced the day before that the lounge would be used for the admin party and could everyone please make other arrangements/ or HAVE an alternate given?

But I know how you feel, Teresa - when you're unhappy at a place, every jab cuts deep. I hope you find a school where paras are valued like they should be :hugs:

14. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Apr 23, 2009

I see the problem--why did they have to celebrate during YOUR break time? You shouldn't be banished to the kid tables for a party.

15. wig

wig Devotee

Apr 24, 2009

I agree with the above. Paras ARE valuable and should be treated as such.

However, I am assuming that this was another incident to add to other things that have bothered you. Because truthfully, as a stand alone, it just isn't enough to get upset about. It sounds to me like a timing issue and the "order to leave" would have happened to whichever group was in there when they decided to set up for the celebration.

16. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Apr 24, 2009

This has been a difficult year. I have had to put up with bullying from another para and getting yelled at by a teacher I work for just one period. Our union rep is not too sympathetic. I have to put up and shut up. This latest incident added fuel to the fire.

17. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Apr 24, 2009

I think in general people who are not a classroom teacher get overlooked, mistreated in small ways that just add up to be demoralizing for our jobs. It happens to any type of resource teacher. we aren't viewed as a valuable member of the school environment. I live in a boiler room..how professional is that? lol the least they could have done was let you guys know earlier so you could have planned to run out for lunch or something else.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2009

I may be misreading this, but it sounds to me as though they wanted to clear the room, and only the paras happened to be there at the moment.

19. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 24, 2009

Same here. Maybe it doesn't translate well in typing.

20. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Apr 24, 2009

I completely understand the issue, and I would have been bothered too. I've been doing observation/practicums and the schools I have been to have been completely inviting and allowed us to even participate in various catered meals they've had. I would be humiliated if I was asked to leave completely. I think there are many ways that it could have been handled which have been more appropriate. I'm sorry you were treated that way!

21. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2009

Same here