Keeping Parents Informed

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Sassy98, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Sassy98

Sassy98 Rookie

Apr 27, 2016

What communication tools does your school use to keep parent's informed? What if school was closed due to weather or a heating/cooling system failure? How would your school let all the parents know so they don't head out to drop their student off? What if there was an emergency at your school? How would parents be notified of a school lockdown or possibly to come and pick up their children? Many parents would be involved. How would your school notify them all at the same time?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2016

Our district uses Parentlink to make robocalls and send out mass texts and emails.

4. Sassy98

Sassy98 Rookie

Apr 27, 2016

Thank you, I want to look that up to see what they offer.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 27, 2016

Our grade and records management software, JCampus, makes calls for us, allows parents and students to log int to see attendance and grades, etc. I also use Remind.com with my classes and clubs. We also have a website and a Twitter where information is updated.

6. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Apr 27, 2016

Our grading software RenWeb (and OptionC last year) has a robo-call option. Parents were required to submit contact info in case of emergencies. We were notified via email and phone call. One or two of the other teachers use the Remind app

7. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Apr 28, 2016

My schools have always used the telephone, radio, and TV. One TV station, especially, had a special quick-loading Internet announcement page for all schools. Something I've learned recently, sometimes robo-calls are mistakenly sent to non-hearing persons such as Deaf parents or hard of hearing grandparents. Their special TTY or VCO phones will not work with the robo-calls. Also, sometimes robo-calls are mistakenly set to dial 711 plus the home number or the TTY/VCO 800 number; that call will only reach a relay service and the home phone will not receive the call. The communications assistant at the relay service probably will not be allowed to take action on a robotic message, and an actual person might be required to talk to the C.A. To dial a TTY/VCO phone, (non-robotically), the easiest method is to dial 711. Wait for a C.A. to answer. The C.A. will ask for the number to dial and if needed will probably explain further how the relay system works. Speak very, very slowly, a short phrase at a time while the C.A. types to the TTY/VCO user; then the C.A. will read the person's typed response back to you.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  8. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Apr 29, 2016

School Reach / School Messenger sends out an automated message to all the parents & teachers and/or an email depending on what the parents prefer

9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Apr 29, 2016

I don't know what we use or if we even have anything in place. Most school communication comes in emails.

It does make me wonder... what if there were some emergency where every parent needed to come pick up their kid? I don't know how they would get the word out.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2016

Our school sends mass emails to the parents.I would assume that in an emergency-type situation, as described above, this would also be true. Aside from that, the school also has its website to keep parents abreast on school-wide events. Additionally, each teacher has a class website to inform parents of homework and events relevant to that classroom. Generally I find that these systems of communication are very effective, but it does require that parents are checking the websites and reading their emails, and that the school and teachers keep their sites updated (our school's website is always updated, but some teachers are slower than others to update their personal class sites).

otterpop likes this.
  11. Sassy98

Sassy98 Rookie

May 1, 2016

Don't forget Mother's Day is May 8th! Its early this year so don't forget MOM!!! All moms, grandma's and all the special women in your life will appreciate your thoughtfulness on this special day which celebrates WOMEN.

12. Sassy98

Sassy98 Rookie

May 7, 2016

You have all given me so many ideas to work with. I appreciate the responses.

13. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

May 11, 2016

As a district we use some sort of robocall program. Some teachers use Remind. I use Classdojo. This is the first year I have used it with parents. My parents absolutely love it.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  14. Sassy98

Sassy98 Rookie

May 18, 2016

Thanks so much for all the responses and help. We ended up trying out a system called DialMyCalls. So far so good, working great. We can send calls and text messages out to everyone at the same time and pretty quickly too.
    If anyone has any questions about it, I'd be happy to share.

15. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 20, 2016

Our school district sends text messages and emails through Remind. It's awesome.

16. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 21, 2016

We have a learning management system that can automatically message and text parents and other community groups. We also have a Honeywell system (company based) that will call us with a message, email and/or text us with the emergency information. I even have my husband on my Honeywell stuff, so he knows when to let me sleep in because of a snow day :)

Sassy98 likes this.
  17. Sassy98

Sassy98 Rookie

May 22, 2016

Sounds GREAT, thank you for the response.

18. Sassy98

Sassy98 Rookie

May 22, 2016

Sounds wonderful and easy to use too. Thanks for the response.

applecore likes this.
  19. Sassy98

Sassy98 Rookie

Jun 7, 2016

We've only had DialMyCalls' service for a short time. Already used it for rain cancellations and event reminders. Its great and everyone seems to like the service too. Win...Win...