Just took cset subtest 1

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by lhansen81, Aug 7, 2017.

1. lhansen81

lhansen81 New Member

Aug 7, 2017

I was so nervous to take my cset MS subtest 1 exam today!!I didn't even sleep the night before because I was so worried!! I studied for two months...and I am glad I did. I used teacher test prep, Cliffs, barrons, and a couple of what your __ grader needs to know. Overall I think the cliffs and teacher test prep were the most helpful they are the closest to what you can get to the real thing. ...I feel pretty confident that I passed but now I am just waiting for my results until september :/ (sigh).

3. Sara Collins

Sara Collins Rookie

Aug 29, 2017

I took my 4th attempt at Subtest 1 yesterday and I started crying in the middle of the test. I hope you passes.

4. teachervero

teachervero Rookie

Nov 14, 2017

Did you pass?

5. lhansen81

lhansen81 New Member

Nov 15, 2017

I passed!!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. teachervero

teachervero Rookie

Nov 15, 2017

Awesome! Great to hear!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 16, 2017

Congratulations, Ihansen81!

8. Tiffany103

Tiffany103 Rookie

Dec 28, 2017

I will be taking the CSET Multiple Subject Subset 1: English and History in two weeks, and I don't feel so confident. I have been studying for this subset for two months now. I have been studying from the cliffs note, teacher test prep, and khan academy. I feel confident in the history section, but not so much with the English section. I was wondering what kind of materials/ resources did you use to prepare you specifically for the English section?

9. lhansen81

lhansen81 New Member

Dec 28, 2017

I would stick to cliffs and teacher test prep:)... take their quizzes over and over again until you master them! Good luck!!

10. Tiffany103

Tiffany103 Rookie

Dec 28, 2017

I'm really hoping that the practice questions from teacher test prep, cliffs note, and the actual CSET website are similar to the actual test.I have been doing the practice questions and so far I got most of them correct. However, I've heard that those practice question are completely different from the actual test, so I'm not sure of what to expect from the actual test.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 28, 2017

Practice tests are intended to give a sense of how the subtest and a variety of question types work. Don't be put off course by the question that appears to be entirely unfamiliar. Most CSET questions are designed to be reasoned through - that is, even a highly skilled test taker has to work out the answer rather than knowing it right off. Look for the fundamental principles you do know as they lurk in the question that seems to be about something you don't know.

If you haven't yet had reading instruction methodology coursework (and possibly even if you have), ReadingRockets.org can be helpful (though some of its explanations are geared to parents, and as a writer of constructed responses you should be writing for fellow teachers).

12. dingdingxi

dingdingxi Rookie

Jan 5, 2018

Has anyone gone to a test prep class by teacher test prep? I've been using their online courses and wondering whether I should go to a real one. Is the material at the real prep class the same as the online video and slides? Thanks!

13. Teuristes L Nolan

Teuristes L Nolan Rookie

Jan 7, 2018

I live in Louisiana and I am scheduled to take the 5001 Multiple Subjects test. I have been studying alot and wanted to know if it is easy. I am so nervous and I do not want to blank when taking the test. I really need to pass it the first time so my student teaching does not get backex up.

14. Tiffany103

Tiffany103 Rookie

Jan 31, 2018

I just wanted to let you know that I also passed CSET Subtest 1 as well! Now I just need to pass Subtest 3 and CBEST, and I can finally start applying for the teaching program.

15. Teuristes L Nolan

Teuristes L Nolan Rookie

Jan 31, 2018

Thank you. Are the test you took similar to the multiple subject test that I am taking.

16. Tiffany103

Tiffany103 Rookie

Jan 31, 2018

Hmm... I'm not too sure because I live in California so the test that I am taking is the CSET Multiple Subject. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that different states have their own state examination for teachers.

17. Teuristes L Nolan

Teuristes L Nolan Rookie

Jan 31, 2018

Yes I live in Louisiana and it consists of reading, writing, math and language. I pray I pass them. I go next week to take them

Tiffany103 likes this.
  18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 31, 2018

Tiffany103, Louisiana is among a number of states that use Praxis exams. 5001, used by a number of states, is an elementary-education test that's broken down into four subtests: reading and English/language arts, math, science, and social science. If memory serves, all the questions are selected response (mostly if not all multiple choice).

Teuristes L Nolan, California's test program is CSET, and it's run by Pearson. CSET-Multiple Subjects is the elementary-education test, and it's broken down into three subtests: (I) reading, language & literature with history and social science; (II) science with math; (III) PE, human development, and visual and performing arts. Questions are a mix of multiple choice and constructed response.

The tests are structured differently, obviously - but, except for state history, which figures in CSET-MS and is absent from Praxis 5001, their coverage of reading, ELA, math, science, and social science will be roughly comparable.

Tiffany103 likes this.
  19. Tiffany103

Tiffany103 Rookie

Jan 31, 2018

I also hope that you will pass the test as well. Good Luck!

20. dingdingxi

dingdingxi Rookie

Feb 25, 2018

Congratulations! How much time did you spend on history and how much on english?