Just starting out.. HELP!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by emhoward, Apr 20, 2017.

1. emhoward

emhoward New Member

Apr 20, 2017

Hello everyone,

After a long decision, I decided I want to go to school to become a kindergarten teacher. I live in Ohio and I know requirements vary by state but I was wondering if I could get any pointers and help. I am going for my bachelors in Early Childhood Education. I have heard where some people say that with this degree you can only teacher from ages birth-5 years and the highest you can teacher is pre-k. When I look at the state of Ohio requirements, this is what I found.

Early Childhood Licensure
    This license requires a baccalaureate degree (or higher) and allows you to teach students in grades Pre-Kindergarten through 3rd grade.

So I would have my bachelor's and then would I take a test to get licensed to teach through 3rd grade in the State of Ohio?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, just trying to get a feel for how everything works so that I don't end up taking unnecessary classes!

Thanks so much!

3. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Apr 21, 2017

Your understanding is correct. I suggest you call or go talk to an advisor in the education department at the college you want to attend. He or she should be informative on the steps you need to take.

Good luck!

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Apr 23, 2017

But I would also suggest finding a program that gets you certified in Elementary Ed (grades 1- 6) as well for marketability. Just my two cents.