Just out of curiosity...

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by waterfall, Feb 27, 2011.

1. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 27, 2011

In my teacher education program in college we had to write these ridiculously long/detailed lesson plans for everything. A half hour lesson would literally be 6-8 pages, with details about pre assessment, post assessment, materials, standards, a step by step list of EVERYTHING you would do or say, etc. I didn't mind writing plans like this my freshman year when I was new to teaching- it was comforting to know exactly what would go on! But obviously as we moved to full time student teaching, we were having to write these lesson plans for an entire day, which would mean at least 50 pages for the day in lesson plans. My program's excuse for making us do this was "it has to be detailed enough for a sub to teach it." Now I've never been a sub (except for illegally a few times in my student teaching, haha) but I think if I walked into a classroom to sub and saw 50 pages of plans for the day I would have a panic attack! So, just out of curiosity, how many of you would actually like/feel like you need plans like that? Or would you be overwhelmed?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2011

I'm not a sub, but my plans are never that long. I would be overwhelmed!

4. substitutesftw

substitutesftw Companion

Feb 27, 2011

At what point would you ever have the time to sit and read 50 pages throughout the day when you're actually supposed to be, ya know, subbing?

Let alone the effort to write it down! Jeez, a week's worth would be the size of a textbook. I've never seen teacher plans that long, even for themselves.

Trust me, 50 pages is not for our benefit. :lol:

I'd say the average plan is two-pages, which is fine. And I never stick to a "script" when I'm leading a lesson, even if it's from a teacher's edition book. I find that pointless.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2011

I think they had a purpose, but not the one you were given.

At this point in my career, I can pretty much walk into any high school math class and teach a decent lesson with little to no prep. (Of course, I'm not aiming for "decent" so I DO prep. But I COULD get by without it in a crisis.)

But early in my career, that wasn't the case. I needed to know which problems I was doing, how I was going to present the topics, what I wanted to emphasize, the mistakes I thought the kids were likely to make, how I would tie it all together, how I would relate it to the real world and a lot more. For each lesson.

I think they were trying to help you get all THAT into your lesson plans. At that point in your development as a teacher, you really do need to put all that thought (if not all that writing) into each lesson you're going to present.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 27, 2011

Yeah, they had told us at the beginning that we needed to include all those sections to make sure we were including all the "important stuff" when we were actually teaching. Like I said before, I realy appreciated/needed that in my younger years of school. I remember getting up early and getting out my lesson plan for the day my freshman year and going over everything that I needed to do. I was pretty much "studying" it and trying to memorize everything so I wouldn't slip up when teaching the lesson. In my program we did a lot more teaching than most- I taught for 2 hours a day four days a week my freshman and sophomore year, and then almost a full school day four days a week junior year, and then my full time student teaching was a year long my senior year. I spent at least 12 weeks in every grade of my licensure. So by the time we got to senior year, we didn't really need all those things for ourselves anymore. When we kept asking why we still had to do it, they kept telling us that you would need plans that detailed for a sub. By our senior year, for "planning" on our teaching evaluations, the criteria was "could easily be taught by a sub." My plans now say the group I'm working with, what time, an overall goal for the lesson, a few bullet points about the main activities we'll do in a lesson, and an assessment. That works for me- I have maybe 2 pages per day. I'm in a sped pullout program so I actually don't get a sub- they say it's "too specialized" for someone else to come in and do it. For some reason I was just thinking about our old plans today and thought I'd ask on here. I have friends from my college program that still use the college lesson plan format- which I can't even imagine doing! I feel I have a lot more valuable things I could do for my kids/classroom than spend 10 hours a week writing 50 pages of lesson plans!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2011

I leave VERY detailed plans for subs, but they run only about 1 1/2 pages, typed.:whistle:

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2011

50 pages per day? Seems a bit exorbitant. Like Alice said, they are trying to get you think think ahead and to cover all of your basis. To make sure you are meeting their needs, to make sure you are scaffolding the content correctly, etc. I have written MANY lesson plans in my life time from student teacher, BTSA, to formal observations and never have they ever run more than two pages for each lesson.

Now, when I leave work for a sub, I believe the longest lesson plan I've left was four pages and that was when I taught kindergarten. BUt, that also included bus information, seating chart, and so on.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 27, 2011

I've been a sub for almost 10 yrs & heck no would I need lesson plans like that! I'd never sub for a teacher like that ever again. And I've never written that many plans FOR A DAY LIKE THAT back in college ever, even when I was in grad school.

10. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Feb 27, 2011

lol! Were they UBD lesson plans? I had to do those when I was taking teaching classes. I saw the benefit of them, to a point. They were detailed enough that we learned what would need to go into a lesson, but they literally took 2-3 pages and a good 45minutes (at least) to create. I couldn't imagine spending up to 5 hours (plus) a day on lesson planning. Now, just to clarify, I have been known to spend a lot of time on some lessons, but it's usually in the prep not the plan. ;)

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2011

As a sub I would get to teh school about 20mins or so before class to prep myself... I cannot imagine trying to read 50 pgs!!! Sometimes I would get there & make copies for the teacher or whatever if I had talked to the teacher earlier about my sub date in the room.

Nope.. I think I would get 1-2 pgs sometimes & sometimes just the lesson plan book & a few notes...

12. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Feb 28, 2011

I've read many lesson plans (and lesson planner books) left by teachers and have never seen any as long or complete as what is required in the teacher training courses.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2011

My sub plans usually do not exceed 2 pages in length. It is likely that they just want you to really learn how to do a detailed lesson plan. For the purposes of your classes, I can't see it's a bad thing, but definitely not reflective of what you'll be doing in your own classroom.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2011

You should have seen the plans I left today:eek:

We were off all of last week ("February break") after having the preceding Friday off for Ed's wake.

And I don't teach anywhere my homeroom, where all my stuff is; from 8:30 until 2:58 I'm across the building and someone else is in my room.

I taught periods 1-3, hit the cafeteria for a sandwich, and brought it back to the faculty room. I was 2 bites into it when a phone call came in for me-- never a good thing.

Brian had walked into his math class, sat down, opened his notebook, and promptly threw up. He was in the nurse's office of his school waiting for me to pick him up.

I had planned to give back and go over the tests I gave that Thursday. then start a new chapter. Nope. I did have some blank copies of ithe tests with me. So I ran off the Honors test for the regular kids, and the regular test for the Honors kids. I came up with an assignement for my SAT classes, just a practice exam instead of going over the last test they did. (My study hall was a study hall, no change.) There were no instructions, no nothing, just a bunch of papers.

And I'm sure it wasn't a problem, for either the kids or the subs. I'll apologize tomorrow, but I know it was no big deal.

15. MsBridget

MsBridget New Member

Mar 5, 2011

I am relatively new to Substitute teaching (just over one year), but if I walked into a classroom and saw 50 pages of instructions, I would walk right back out and tell them to find someone else. That is ridiculous! :dizzy:

The teachers I sub for are able to leave me plans and instructions using anywhere from 1-5 pages usually, and they are plenty detailed as to what I, a Sub, NEED TO KNOW.

The job of a Sub and the job of a "Real" Teacher are two VERY different things. There is no way we can BECOME YOU, no matter how many details you write. For me, keep it simple, concise, and clear.

16. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Mar 5, 2011

For my own plans, I basically just have bullet points and a list of things I want to hit.

For subs, I type up detailed plans, but never more than two pages. Since I only have one prep, it's pretty easy to get it all to fit on one page. I never know who's going to be subbing for me, so I never have them teach an lesson. Too many people are afraid to teach math, so I'm not willing to risk it unless I've prearranged with a sub who WANTS to teach math.

17. asianbeauty

asianbeauty Rookie

Mar 5, 2011

Amen!!