Just me whining.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by creativemonster, Feb 10, 2018.

1. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Feb 10, 2018

UGH!!! Ok, complaining on paper because I want to scream at my district head and don't have access to them.
    My district has all teacher trainings on weekends and after hours at a lower rate than our teaching salary. And they claim these trainings are optional, but come on - if I need to know what is on the new test my students need to do well on to get out of their English Language Development classes, and any info I really do NEED for my students, these trainings are not really optional. It would be very difficult to learn this information without the trainings. So...I am out almost every saturday at various trainings. And then in the middle of this I got sick and missed a couple of days of work and just need to recover but have to still go to these trainings...and I miss being able to run errands on the weekends...and spend time with my husband and anything else non-school related....UGH!!!
    I decided that except for my once a month technology training, I am going to stop going to these "optional" trainings. and even the technology one I will stop going to at the end of this year. DONE!!! I feel myself burning out and I suspect if I can limit myself to just actually teaching my students, I will rediscover the positive sides of my job...I hope.
    OK - whining done for now. Thank you! oh yes, and if and when I am ever asked to share this info I have learned at meetings with other teachers, I will happily do so, but only during school contracted time! I will refuse to ask other teachers to stay late, or come in on weekends! UGH! ...ok, NOW whining done...for the moment! :)

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 10, 2018

Let me guess-----no union?

4. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Feb 10, 2018

Actually VERY strong wonderful union - But if I don't go to certain trainings I will not get the info. And I am now at the point where I am ok with that. Ironically my union has recently had a couple of meetings that have taken a lot of my time as well. Again, super important meetings, just very time consuming - especially when you put them all together - a meeting for this, a meeting for that, on and on.

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Feb 10, 2018

Didn’t expect that answer, did you?

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 10, 2018

I guess I would disagree with the characterization of it as "strong" and "wonderful" if it can't even negotiate that meetings don't happen on the weekend lol.

MissCeliaB and futuremathsprof like this.
  7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Feb 10, 2018

Haha, agreed.

8. JimG

JimG Companion

Feb 11, 2018

Is this practice common in your region, or is your district the only one in the area which holds PD outside of contract time?

9. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Feb 11, 2018

The union has made it very clear that they don't approve of teachers going to these trainings. I made the idiotic decision that I need the information for meeting a, b, AND c, and so would go to these meetings. ...I could give a zillion reasons why, but bottom line - my own darn fault and never again. ...except the once a month technology trainings that I will go to because otherwise I am struggling with the electronic grading platform and wasting my own time without someone there to guide me. ...and the union meetings that I have learned to show up at, get the info, and then just leave - they spend a LOT of time trying to convince us of stuff for which we are already convinced - that is why we show up to the meetings! and now we have back to school night coming up...can't get out of that, but that's only every so often, and much needed, but it is another late night.

As for are all of these trainings common in other districts, I have no idea.
    I need a training in "How to Say NO!" :)
    And it isn't helping my grouchyness that my next door neighbors on one side party EVERY weekend until early morning hours. Love thy neighbor is much easier when 5 foot speakers are not part of the equation. But that's a whole other topic of complaint not school related, so I'll try to stop whining now!

ms.irene likes this.
  10. Been There

Been There Habitué

Feb 13, 2018

It must be extremely frustrating to your union leadership knowing that teachers pick and choose when they will adhere to union directives. Why do you think your district schedules all PD on the weekends? Of course, they insert the disclaimer that the trainings are optional to avoid any pushback from the union, knowing full well that teachers like you will attend. Young children don't have to be trained to say, "No!" - why do so many teachers have such difficulty with this concept?

IMO, you have no right to complain and it would do no good to scream at your district if you choose not to fully support your union.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 13, 2018

Your district will stop holding these meetings when teachers stop attending them. I understand the pressure to attend, I would feel the same way! But the only way this will change is if everyone stops going to evening and weekend PD. Easier said than done!

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 13, 2018

This would never happen in my district.

The way we get through these types of trainings is that one day ALL 3rd grade teachers in the district are provided a sub and attend the training. The next day, all 4th grade teachers (and so on and so forth) until all grade-levels have been trained individually.

Sometimes, subs are no-shows or the vacancy isn't filled by a sub. In that case, the teacher can't attend the training. We've got a ton of subs, though, so it's rare that a teacher can't attend.

13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Feb 13, 2018

This must be a financial strain, though, on the district.

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 13, 2018

They've got plenty of funds. We're a Title I district. My site, in particular, gets so much money that we're often scrambling to spend it all before the year is over (the funds don't roll over).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  15. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Feb 13, 2018

I agree so strongly with this!!! I had to learn the hard way, but I have learned. Now the next two days my after school hours are - I have to meet with someone at the union (It's a contract year so they are holding a zillion meetings) As I said ironic that my busiest time crunches are these union meetings - but they are really important and I need to get some of my school's paperwork in. And we have back to school night, but again - that's important and in contract...It just all happens to fall together in same busy time. The rest of those meetings - if not in contracted time, they aren't happening with me. Late to learn, but learn I have. ...Now if I could just figure out the neighbor's speaker system!

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Feb 14, 2018

I would go to some of the trainings because they would count towards the PD hours I need to accumulate for my certification (I think I have 5 years to get 100 hours). After I get those hours I wouldn't attend the trainings.