Just landed 2nd grade position!!! HELP!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Teach in Tampa, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Teach in Tampa

Teach in Tampa Rookie

Sep 29, 2007

This is my first year of teaching and I have been covering for maternity leave for a first grade class since the beginning of the school year. I just interviewed on Friday for a second grade position at an A school (yeah!), and the principal called me yesterday afternoon to offer me the job. I am so excited!

Any advice about teaching second grade as opposed to first? I am looking forward to having older students (I know it's not much older but they are indeed older)!

What are the big differences between 1st and 2nd?

Thanks in advance for your help :2up:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2007

First off, congrats on the job!! There really is not much difference between the two groups. 2nd graders are a little bit more independent. I think you can take what you were doing in the 1st grade classroom and just make it more challenging for your 2nd graders.

4. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Sep 29, 2007

chapter books! Most of them are ready or close to ready! They are ready to write on their own too! Journals are a nice thing in second grade, along with topic writing for projects. OH yeah...projects....they LOVE them!

5. Teach in Tampa

Teach in Tampa Rookie

Sep 29, 2007

Thanks patti2 and smalltowngal!

6. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 29, 2007

I am so happy for you. I loved teaching second grade. Read Debbie Miller's book, Reading for Meaning, if you haven't done so already. It is great for teaching comprehension in the lower elementary grades. Make sure they are choosing books that are "just right" for them. By the end of the year, you will see a huge difference between first and second graders. Like someone else said, they are much more independent.

7. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 29, 2007

From my experience, many second graders want to read chapter books before they are ready. What assessment does your school use to determine the reading level of the students?

8. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Sep 29, 2007

We use the SAT-10 standardized test scores, along with Guided Reading Level and teacher observations, and a checklist of reading strategies that they must know and have pretty much mastered using. I have a group this year who THINKS they are ready, but I know they are not. They can read and comprehend, but are not ready for the length of the books. I am allowed to use my judgment most of all! I don't start any child in them at the beginning of the year. I always get to know them first! :)

9. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 29, 2007

It is always exciting when you know they are finally ready to read chapter books.

10. Teach in Tampa

Teach in Tampa Rookie

Sep 30, 2007

I haven't read the book, but I certainly will. I'm always looking for helpful resources. Thanks for the recommendation!