just don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by shortee, Oct 13, 2010.

1. shortee

shortee Companion

Oct 13, 2010

I hope someone out there can give me some advice. I am part of a team of 5 teachers. 1 of the teachers on our team does some things that are against school policy...essentially, he just does things according to his own rules. For instance, he is often doing stuff on the computer when he should be teaching a lesson. When he's doing this he usually gives his kids an assignment to work on but other times just lets them play. I've also been told that he occasionally talks about Jesus and the bible to his 2nd graders. We're not allowed to be doing this in a public school and he knows it.

I don't know whether to just ignore all this or to go to administration with it. I dont want to "tattle" and honestly, I don't even know that my admin would do anything about it but I've already talked to him about it and he has no plans to change his ways.

Whaddy'all think?

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 13, 2010

If you haven't personally seen him do these things than stay out of it.

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2010

It is hard to believe that the admin is not aware of his computer usage. Test scores have to be bad, too. He won't last.

I understand that it's very hard to watch incompetence. Are you the team leader?

5. shortee

shortee Companion

Oct 13, 2010

Proud, I HAVE personally seen him do some of these things. Yes, I am the team leader. He brings in his personal laptop to use. He's been teaching here for 11 years now.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 13, 2010

From what I understand as long as he is using the school server, your tech person should be able to find out what he is doing on his laptop.

Since you're the team leader, I think you'll have to talk to him about your observations and let him know that you will have to inform the principal if you see it again. Good luck!

7. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 14, 2010

Depending on how the district monitors, they might monitor the packets that go through the network.

8. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 14, 2010

As you are team leader, you need to speak with him. Document all meetings !! I am not saying to "tattle" on him, but you may want to ask the principal, "If you saw/knew someone is doing such and such, what would you do?" I have had to do this. I did not give teacher names when I spoke to the principal. That would only happen if the teacher did not do as he should. How long have you been teaching? If less than 11 years and you're lead teacher, the principal may already be aware of the other teacher's shortcomings.
    :unsure:

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 14, 2010

Can I play devil's advocate for a second?

How do you know that he's sitting at his computer and not teaching? If you're both in your own classrooms, how could you witness this?

10. shortee

shortee Companion

Oct 14, 2010

YoungTeacher,

First off, I can see him clearly from my guided reading table where I am for more than 1 hour/day meeting with different groups and assorted individuals. According to the schedule we were given by admin, he should be doing the same, at the same times. However, if I look over towards his room (both his and my doors are usually wide open) he is sometimes working on his personal laptop, at his guided reading table. And there are no students sitting with him.

In addition, 1 of our shared volunteers witnessed one such incident when she arrived in his classroom to tutor one of the students. This volunteer shared the info. with me as I am team leader. She was very uncomfortable being in there at the time and chose to leave the room.

I myself have also walked into his classroom to drop off important papers during my planning period when his students should have been engaged in lessons but were coloring.

I find it very interesting how several of you are turning this all around in a "how do you know" type of comment. I guess what you are saying is I should just mind my own business and "stay out of it."

Hmmmmm...

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 14, 2010

I hope I didn't offend you, Shortee. I just wanted a bit more background info.

I definitely think you should casually mention to the principal what you've noticed and let him know how concerned you are (for the students, that is).

Keep us posted on how things turn out with this situation!!!

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 14, 2010

This is what I was saying at first, only b/c you did not state that you personally observed it. If it was based on rumors, I WOULD tell you to mind your own business and to tell the rumor spreader to talk to the teacher (or principal) directly.

13. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Oct 14, 2010

I don't think anyones turning this around on you, but presenting scenarios for you to think through before bringing it up with your principal. The issue surrounding this is that 1) you don't want to assuming or passing along gossip. This happens a lot but you've already said you've clearly observed this. 2) it's to safe gaurd you if you observed this when you briefly left the classroom for something and observed this. Again, that's not the case. As the grade level leader, I might bring up concerns with the principal, and focus on the student achievement concerns.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  14. SuperFudge

SuperFudge Rookie

Oct 14, 2010

I can understand your frustrations. Nothing angers me more than when I realize that I am busting my hump to make my class the best that it can be while others are doing the bare minimum.

With that said, I have also come to realize that I have to pick my battles when it comes to talking to my principal. There's always going to be something BIGGER in which you are going to need your principal's support. The less you are in the principal's office complaining, the more your principal will respect you and be on your side in times of need.

Don't worry. This guy, his laziness, and lack of respect for policies WILL be discovered by the admin. It's only a matter of time.

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 15, 2010

I believe it is the administrator's job to monitor the staff. If the students are not physically in danger, I would keep my observations to myself.

16. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 15, 2010

But, as lead teacher isn't it part of her responsibility to make sure the kids' best interests are being met? Principals can't be everywhere at once - so they generally have lead teachers to help with "monitoring." I agree I wouldn't go tattle, but I would get some insight from the principal as to what would be expected of me in regards to a matter such as this.

17. shortee

shortee Companion

Oct 15, 2010

Thank you Superfudge for your very thoughtful advice. You are so right about everything. I appreciate your insight.

18. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Oct 15, 2010

I do not think it is your responsibility to report another teacher to the administration unless they are doing something that is physically harmful to the children. You do not know why he is on the computer or why he may be holding these discussions in class. If something was seriously wrong the administration or a parent would be aware of it by now.I am amazed that the principal is not aware of this if he keeps his door wide open.

19. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 15, 2010

At our school, it just means you are the point-person for the grade level. The one that passes along info from the admin-we don't have any real power.

I am really good friends with one of the admins at our school. Trust me when I say, they know what's going on in his classroom. They may be handling in their own way or documenting it so it's easier to get him out if it comes down to that, but they already know. The only thing you would do by telling is put a target on your back. I know it's all about the students and helping them, but some days there's only so much we can do.

20. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Oct 16, 2010

I am a team leader and I would first talk to him. I would say, I am noticing that you are doing blank, blank, and blank. State only what you KNOW to be a fact. Then, I would say, I need to let you know that this is against our district and state guidelines. I would get his reaction and if it is anything other than... "Sorry, I understand the policies and will stop this practice immediately." I would go directly to administration and say, these are the things that I have noticed. I have a concern and have addressed this with my co-worker. I would also bring up the speaking about religious things with the children and let the admin. know exactly where you got that information from. It is your role as team leader to help your team function in a manner that is providing all students an exceptional learning experience. We are here for the children. These actions need to be dealt with swiftly and with tact. There is only so much you can do as a team leader other than to lead by example and help to be a role model for your team mates. We also have PLCs which focus on Professional Conduct and I think that I would be having one of those with your team mate and discussing what quality professionals are doing and come up with a set of norms for your team. Hope this helps! This is a tricky one! :)

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2010

I think that your actions hinge on the definition of "team leader."

We don't have them in my school, we have department chairpeople. When I was chair, I was in charge of the teaching being done in my department. So, as department chair, it would have been my job to say something in your position.

But, from what I've read here, many peole who are "team leaders" seem to be more in charge of organizing the curriculum-- making sure that everyone has access to the same resources. It seems to be a whole lot more vague than Chairperson.

So I say it depends on the job description.

If you're another person on the team, minus a title, then I would speak to someone WITH a title about my concerns.