Just Curious: Tattoo Policy

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by FilloryandFurther, Mar 13, 2018.

1. FilloryandFurther

FilloryandFurther New Member

Mar 13, 2018

I know this has been covered before, but I'm just curious about my particular situation. I have a small tattoo on the back of my ankle that staff and administration have seen. I teach in a high school, and I got this tattoo just before this school year (this is my fourth year in this district). Nobody has commented on it, and other teachers have visible tattoos on their ankles and some on their forearms that are fairly large. I have one on the back of my right arm, just above my elbow, decently small but definitely noticeable if I wear short sleeves. I have been keeping it covered out of, I guess guilt? I don't think it's an issue, but I don't want to offend anybody. That being said, it is in no way offensive content-wise. Do I need to continue to cover it?

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Mar 13, 2018

I would say no -- I also have a (very) small tattoo on the back of my ankle. Usually no one notices, but I love it when a student will occasionally out of the blue say, "Ms. Irene, you have a TATTOO?!?!" :)

I guess it depends on the culture where you're teaching -- but is there really anyone left alive who would be scandalized by a tattoo, considering all we have had to see/hear about lately?

FilloryandFurther likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Mar 13, 2018

I teach in a small, rural district in a conservative area. I have nine large tattoos. I do not have to keep them covered. Four of them show if I'm wearing a dress and short sleeves. None show if I wear 3/4 sleeves and slacks.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 13, 2018

I teach in a fairy conservative area and tattoos are no big deal.

6. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Mar 13, 2018

This depends on your school/district culture. I have three tattoos: foot, back, forearm. They have all been visible at one time or another and it hasn’t been a problem!

7. FilloryandFurther

FilloryandFurther New Member

Mar 14, 2018

Thanks everyone! I actually just went ahead and broached the subject with my principal as I know him to be very open minded. He told me he has no problem with it but that he appreciates my communication with him. I guess I'll be less chicken next time!

ms.irene likes this.
  8. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Mar 16, 2018

My school district doesn't seem to care. I've never asked. I do have 2 tattoos and I know other teachers also have some. I do not purposely keep mine hidden, but 1 (on the top of my foot) is basically hidden all winter and the other (on my wrist like a bracelet) is only hidden when I wear long sleeves (not often). I don't draw attention to them and when students ask about them I just say yes I have them and leave it at that.