Just a little excitment for dog lovers!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mandagap06, Mar 21, 2009.

1. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Mar 21, 2009

My mom and sister work out of town 3hrs away. My mom comes home Every other week, but my sister can not come home as often cuz' she is in college. Anywho the dog part comes in with they want a dog for their apartment that would be big enough to kinda protect them or make them feel protected, but not to big for an apartment. A friend of ours has 8-9 week old lab puppies. My mom is going to see if my sister wants to pay the $200 asking price that the family is selling the dog for. They are registered and everything. I hope they get it. I am going to ask my mom to bring it home when she comes home so I can play with her. They have 3 females left. Cross your fingers and say a prayer that it works out and they can get one and train it. My mom and sister work 12 hr nights. Anyway I excited for them for this possibility. We love dogs! I myself want a 3said dog but we already have 2 dogs and my dad said that is our limit. If you know Anything about LABS will you give me some info on training the puppy?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2009

We just lost our Lab a few weeks ago.

They're delightful dogs. My husband did all the training, so I have no words of wisdom. But, properly trained, your sister is in for a wonderful time with her new family member!

But they do get big... Koko was about 100 pounds when she died.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 21, 2009

What an exciting time when one gets a new puppy! :) I loved when it happened to me (as a child & adult). I don't know anything specific about training labs. I took my Boston Terrier to Petsmart's obedience class though. It was ok. I would have loved to start off getting a private trainer who comes to the house.

BTW, before you said about them getting a lab, I was going to say that Chihuahuas may be little, which is good for apt living, but they are feisty little things that will bark & alert you of strangers.

5. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Mar 21, 2009

They don't want something that barks a lot like a Chihuahuas but something that looks being enough to scare someone off.

6. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Mar 21, 2009

I am so sorry to hear of your loss! I have been in your shoes at the loss of a family pet I had for prob the 1st 12 or 13 yrs of my life. I have 2 dogs now that I will be sick over when they leave us!! How can someone be so attached to something that does not talk?! haha! I have found from working with special children who are mute and having dogs. Some of the best things in life don't talk!!

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 21, 2009

Lab puppies have a lot of energy and will need tons of exercise. They are also prone to chewing and digging. I would recommend enrolling in a puppy class ASAP to get some help with the puppy and probably crate training the dog. Also, 12 hours is a very long time for a puppy to "hold it", I think that a dog walker might be necessary to let it out a few times during that period.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 22, 2009

I don't blame you. Although Chihuahuas will alert you, they're not for everyone. They're a bit too hyper & yappy for me. I want something more calm. That's why there's all different kinds of breeds to choose from! Labs are nice though, I've had one.

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2009

They can get HUGE and strong. So they need to be well trained. As a dog walker, I've walked 4 labs all weighed 80+. And, they are too big for potty pads in the apartment so someone will need be there mid-day so the dog can relieve himself. One apartment lab that I walked had gotten in the habit of bathrooming in the apartment while he was a puppy and even as an adult they weren't able to break him of the habit.

I'd advise thinking carefully before getting such a large dog for an apartment unless they have a small yard attached.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 22, 2009

I agree. The bathroom is the biggest issue. Are you planning on walking this dog a few times a day or having a special bathroom place outside the apt (in addition to walks)? What's your plan when the weather's bad? These are things to think about. Big dogs need more outdoor exercise, a chance to run around & release energy, otherwise, that's how destructive indoor behavior starts.

My dog's small & we have a large cardboard box in the garage lined w/ newspapers that I take him in, so it doesn't matter how the weather is. Believe it or not, we don't notice any bad smell. The clean-up is easy.

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Mar 22, 2009

Two things sent up a flag to me -- 12 hour nights was the first. Hopefully, they aren't working at the same time! A puppy certainly can't be left home along for that length of time without being walked. In order to properly house train a puppy, you need to take them outside for frequent walks or they will develop the bad habit of going to the bathroom inside the apartment.

Second thing is the apartment. Hopefully there is a nice park nearby, or this is in a nice residential neighborhood with plenty of open green spaces. Remember, you have to pooper-scoop if you walk a dog, and labs leave a lot to scoop!

I'm sure you've also checked your lease -- many apartments don't allow pets, or restrict them to 20 or 30 pounds. Most labs will get to be at least 60-65 pounds.

I have two fabulolus dogs that I love very much. I think dogs are great and will make a fabulous addition to the lives of people who have the time for their care.

The funny thing? I have a golden retreiver and a little cavalier king charles spaniel. The golden is a total pussycat! He doesn't bark. He is afraid of thunderstorms. He'd just assume sleep than notice a burglar. The little cavie is alert as all get out, barks at strange noises, and is incredibly protective.

You can't always judge protectiveness (if that is a real word) based on size.