Jury Duty . . .

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by AngelM, Aug 1, 2008.

1. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

Just finished, two weeks

Has anyone else done this over the summer? I ended up having to report almost every day, sitting through several jury selection processes. This totally stressed me out as I REALLY, REALLY needed to be in my classroom getting ready for school to start next week.:eek:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2008

I did it a few years ago in the summer- didn't get picked for a jury so I only had to do one day. In NJ if you are a teacher you are a state employee so they don't pay you the daily stipend (I think it's a big $10) Woo-hoo. I don't understand why...:confused: Stinks.

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2008

We were there together I think ;)

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2008

I was called for jury selection at the beginning of July, but was released about three hours into the day. Made $6, I think, but put it in the donation box for victim funds. Dodged that bullet!

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 1, 2008

This is the first year in 3 years I haven't had to do it (knock on wood). I came really close last time but after the Voir Dire the lawyers had excluded too many of us and they had to get a new jury pool-shucks. ;) I still think they should have Trained Jurors and make it a profession. It would be great for people who are retired and want something flexible.

7. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

I got a letter today saying I am in a 200 person "jury pool" for the next year! :woot: (I am excited!)

8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

I have to report on the 8th. I took the one-time deferment in June because we were traveling, and CA lets you pick the day of the week you want to report - I picked Friday on the theory that everybody wants to get on with their weekend. It worked once before - we got released early! I know I should be a good citizen and want to serve, but I've got appointments and stuff to do before school starts...

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2008

Not during the summer, but I was a juror on a 2 month trial during the very best time of the year...the last 2 mos of school! Honestly, it was one of the best times of my adult life. It was fabulous! It was my 1st (& so far, only) year of permanent teaching (special ed). I knew in Feb that I wouldn't be rehired & in April, I was picked as a juror (yipee!) & the case ended up lasting 2 mos! When it was over, I had like 6 days left before I was free to enjoy my summer! :D

I was an alternate juror several yrs before than & that lasted a couple of wks.

I love jury duty. I'd love to be on a 2 mos case every year!

10. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Aug 2, 2008

I had jury duty this past week. I had gotten it postponed when I originally got it because it was during my finals week of spring semester. I didn't end up getting called and I am now exempt for it for 8 years. I was kind of sad that I didn't get called to go in because I thought it would be a cool experience to have. Nobody I know has every served on a jury.

11. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

too funny . . . such a small world :)

12. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

Will principals let you go to jury duty during the school year? Do you have to take a sick day for it? This is the first year I am registered to vote, so I guess my name will go into a pile. However, I refuse to waste my summers on Jury Duty. We're out of the country most of the time anyway. :p

13. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

Principals will often ask that you defer to the summer. I agree with you - it's not how I would prefer to spend the summer!:D

14. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

I usually get a jury duty summons every two years or so, usually during the school year. Court rules allow teachers and students to postpone serving until a break in the school year. I usually reschedule for the week of July 4 and usually don't have to show up. We have a one day or one trial rule, and telephone check-in. You check in anywhere from one day to a week depending on which group you wind up in. If they don't need your group, you are excused. If you have to go in, if they don't pick you, you are excused after a day's worth of waiting (might be spread over the afternoon of one day and the morning of the next). It seems that lawyers and judges both don't like to work the week of July 4. The one time I made it to the court room, after the voir dire, the prosecutor used a peremptory challenge on me.

Most contracts here allow for paid leave for jury duty and getting it is generally not a problem.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 3, 2008

Jury duty is one occasion where principals have no control over your jury duty nor do you use up your sick days. They may ask if you can try your best to defer it till another time. You can say you really tried, even if deep down you really want the break from school! :D Think of it as going on a field trip & still getting your full teacher's salary, but whatever amount you get paid by the court, you have to turn that in at the end to your district (since you're still getting your salary).

I tell you, I LOVED it when I was on a 2 month case the last 2 mos of school! A few other jurors & I went out to lunch almost daily together, I got to listen to an interesting case, etc. It was such fun!

16. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

I've always wanted to be on a jury, but never get selected. I guess they think I've had too many experiences that might influence me, but really, they wouldn't.

Although I think I'd go to town on a car thief because I had mine stolen. That happened over twenty years ago, and I'm still extremely annoyed about it.

17. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

The prosecutor used a peremptory challenge on me too. I was insulted by that. I think the jury pool should be made up of volunteers.--I know, I know-that would not be a jury of peers--but it might help weed out the people who don't care and will do anything to get out of it.

18. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 3, 2008

Awesome! If I ever get a jury duty summon, I'm going to make sure it's during the school year!!! :D And hopefully, it's not for one of those long cases. I'd much rather do it during the school year than the summer on my time. :p

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 3, 2008

Exactly! Why would you want to use up your summer when you can do it during the school year since your principal has no control over it. But in my case, I like the long cases!

I don't know why people hate JD so much...when it's during the school year, that is. It's a chance to get away from regular life for a while, meet & see different people, listen to an interesting case, really learn a lot from the expert witnesses, & depending on what your job is, still get paid.

But the very worst time to do JD would be running past the 1st day of school! And just think if you got picked at the very beginning of summer & the case wasn't over until right before school began! That would really be horrible.

20. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 3, 2008

I don't know about your state, but I don't think you can control when you are selected for jury duty. I have been put in a jury pool in December, twice in March and once in July.

21. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

One of the judges told us that, in our system, they try to allow/enable teachers to be deferred to summer to avoid having teachers out of their classrooms during the school year. As a result, our summer jury pool was FULL of teachers.