Junior Achievement :|

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Hello.Mitra, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Hello.Mitra

Hello.Mitra Rookie

Feb 27, 2009

I will be doing my fourth lesson for Junior Achievement next week, and haven't had too many personal complaints until now.

My unit is on resources (natural, human, and capital) and the students get to make their own business to see how resources effect them. I teach a class of fourth graders, and they are all really intelligent students; however, there are a few things that just aren't sticking.

+Capital resources seemed to be very difficult for them to comprehend. (Capital resources are the tools, machines, and buildings used to make a product.) When I first introduced the vocabulary, I took the liberty of making visual cards to hang on the board whenever I talked about them, but it still was not grasped. They have somewhat of an understanding now, but I still feel like they're not entirely sure of themselves.

+Last week, students were to see if they had to relocate their businesses. For example, if I started my clothing business in Arizona, but Arizona was lacking in cotton, I might want to consider relocating to a state that has all the resources I need. However, if Arizona did have cotton and other resources, I would stay where I was.

For some reason, the students just did not "get" this decision making process, and I always find their teacher re-wording what I say, several times.

Has anyone else had this problem with Junior Achievement? I feel like the lessons are so vague and kind of difficult. (I even have problems with the activities when I do them a few nights before!)

Also, I would appreciate it if someone has some ideas as to how to help students "get" the lessons and activities.

Thanks in advance!
    :]

3. browngirl

browngirl Rookie

Mar 8, 2009

I don't have any advice. I am glad to know that JA still exists. I had a great time with it when I was a child. Our business was called M& M (short for mind and money) Enterprises. We made homeade wreaths for Christmas and made candy dishes. It was so much fun.

4. Hello.Mitra

Hello.Mitra Rookie

Mar 9, 2009

Wow, those activities actually sound fun!
    The JA I'm instructed to teach is strictly book work, which is terribly boring :[

5. monkeygirl

monkeygirl Rookie

Mar 10, 2009

we have a volunteer come in from a bank to teach JA

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 10, 2009

Can you create a real business? That would make the lessons come to life. Maybe they could make cupcakes to sell, or popcorn, or pencils.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2009

My school has JA volunteers, as well. :) Its a great program.