Journal Entry Ideas?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Ann Marissa, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Ann Marissa

Ann Marissa Rookie

Jul 12, 2006

Hello! I was wondering if anyone knew a list of journal entry topics to give my 6th grade students. I used journals when i was in school, but can't remember any that were age-appropriate for 6th graders. I want them to be able to journal once a day (either in the morning, after lunch or at the end of the day, i haven't decided).

Should i allow them to write about their feelings? I feel, though, if i allowed them to write about their day or their feelings, that i shouldn't be reading it. I had a teacher who allowed us 5 minutes to write in the journal as a stress-reliever, but reassured us that she wasn't going to read them or grade the content, just grade the fact that we put something in the book.

I'm a new teacher and i want to go at this the right way!

Thanks in advance!
    AM

3. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 12, 2006

I usually give them a prompt. they have to fill a page skipping every other line. Often I will have them take one of their favorite journal entries and develop it. If you google daily journal prompts you will come up with quite a few. I use this one:
    http://www.writingfix.com/dailypromptgenerator.htm
    This site also has a lot of other great things to explore.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jul 12, 2006

I have some really cool spiral bound prompt books that the kids love. I've got six or eight of them. I don't use them much anymore because we use our journals for our daily focus activities now. I'm going to school tomorrow, and if my brain allows me to remember them I'll write down the names and post them.

5. muinteoir

muinteoir Companion

Jul 12, 2006

6. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

7. Ann Marissa

Ann Marissa Rookie

Jul 13, 2006

Thank you so much for all your ideas! i can't wait to use them!!!!

8. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Jul 13, 2006

I teach 2nd and use a journal topics book for my below and average students. But for my higher students, I used the writing prompts from abcteach.com. It has a topic printed on a template w/writing space. I just printed out a few for the higher students. But you can just put the topic on the board. The topics may be appropriate for sixth grade. Check them out. They are monthly topics.

9. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 13, 2006

We did journals in the 6th grade with my favorite teacher ever. I remember having free writes. It really helped my creativity. We wrote about everything on free writes days, whatever we wanted. It was fun. Brings back a lot of memories.

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 13, 2006

Ann Marissa, one way of dealing with the "I don't feel I should be reading this" problem is to, for instance, allow them to fold over one entry a week, where they know you won't be reading it... or develop a symbol they can put on top if it's a "private" journal entry.

11. MsFong

MsFong New Member

Jul 15, 2006

Book of Journal Topics

I teach 6th grade in CA and for journal prompts I have a book called Daily Journal Prompts ( I think that's the title) that gives me two journal topics everyday to choose from. THere are creative topics that allow children to write stories and also think about current issues. I also give them the opportunity to free-write in their journal if there is something important or pressing going on in their lives. I read them once in awhile to see how their writing is progressing but if I get the feeling it's personal, I just don't read that topic.

12. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Jul 15, 2006

Journals Journals

I used to try and come up with one prompt for each day, but then I talked with a teacher who would put up 10-15 prompts around the classroom - cabinet doors work great for this - and then the students could choose what they may feel like writing. If there is a particular prompt you want answered on a particular day (content related), then date it. Otherwise, the students have somewhat of a choice as to what they feel like writing, and then you only have to change the prompts every couple of weeks.

As a sidenote, if you google "journal prompts" you can get a plethora of ideas for prompts...

13. MrsRich219

MrsRich219 Companion

Jul 16, 2006

Times for kids has a really good set. They have a seperate set for each grade level 1-6

14. kamteach5

kamteach5 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

I have taught fifth grade for 14 years and my students had a spiral bound notebook and were given a topic each day. Now I am moving to 8th grade and will have many of the students I had in fifth. I gave them generic prompts and read them periodically and responded to them. They always loved it when they got their books and I had written to them. Now that I am moving to eighth I would like some ideas on how I can continue the daily writes but make some adjustments so that it won't be like a repeat of fifth grade.

15. DotyMath

DotyMath Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

16. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Jul 20, 2006

What if you made them write about the same types of topics for weeks in a row, or gave them a choice of prompts. A teacher I worked with used to put up 10-15 prompts around the room and then the students could choose what prompts they wrote about each day. If you really want a specific prompt one day, date it. I agree that your eighth graders would like to see something different than when they were in 5th grade. Giving them a little more freedom may help them feel like you recognize that they are older! I think it is great that you are trying to do something different for them! I'm sure they will appreciate it!:)

17. Aria

Aria Rookie

Jul 21, 2006

A teacher friend of mine gives two journal prompts each day and the kids choose which one they want to write about. She also always gives them the option of making up their own.

As for the privacy issue, I think it is fair for students to expect that what they do in school will be read by the teacher, and many even really enjoy sharing their thoughts and ideas. But the suggestion made to allow them an occasional private entry was a good one.

18. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Jul 27, 2006

Hi,

You can get these little books from Barnes and Noble called "The Daily Spark." They are made by the same people who write Sparknotes.

Also, if you subscribe to Edhelper.com (which is wonderful and such a time saver), there are writing prompts on there. They even have it according to day. I found very different ones, even something on potato chips because the day was when potato chips were invented! How unique is that?