Jon Hamm: Paying teachers more is 'one of the most obvious things we could do to improve life'

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RWorld1, Sep 11, 2017.

1. RWorld1

RWorld1 Rookie

Sep 11, 2017

Read a great article by Jon Hamm (the guy from Mad Men).

I can't link it directly - but if you search "businessinsider jon hamm teachers pay" into google it's the first link.

Apparently he was a teacher for a couple of years.

Just another reminder that even though we're realistically not going to get a big pay boost any time soon, there's a whole bunch of smart, talented people who understand and appreciate the difference we're' making.

Now if only some of those guys and gals could themselves in government...

linswin23 likes this.
  3. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 12, 2017

I love hearing things like this from celebrities, especially those who are former teachers or who have family that are teachers. Matt Damon is a huge proponent for teachers in the U.S. His mom was a school teacher for 30 years and he even created a documentary called American Teacher. It's so good, but also kind of depressing because it shows how underpaid teachers are.

RWorld1 likes this.
  4. rpan

rpan Comrade

Sep 12, 2017

It can only be a good thing if more people talk about teaching in a positive light. It's not just sbout money, it's about people valuing the profession, appreciating that what we do is not easy. The media, politicians, your everyday person on the street, are always quick to point out how we are failing in this or that, how badly we do this or that, but so rarely acknowledge the positive stories about teachers making a difference.

RWorld1, ms.irene and MetalTeacher like this.
  5. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2017

If you improved teacher pay you'd be able to get higher quality candidates for teaching positions. That's a great thing for students. Adults should remember getting a teaching job would become even harder.

linswin23 likes this.
  7. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Sep 15, 2017

I am accustomed to leaders feigning an understanding of our jobs while taking food from the mouths of our children.

I don't need some politician's understanding. I need a living wage.

8. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Sep 15, 2017

What are you even talking about? Jon Hamm isn't a politician.

9. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:24 AM

I was not talking about him. I was, however, talking about leaders who will acknowledge the plight of teachers across America with apparent sympathy—while passing legislation to strip away our pay and labor protections. The practice is customary in my neck of the woods.

After a while, expressions of sympathy and understanding ring hollow and elicit the sort of angry bitterness I hope you will never know.

10. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2017 at 3:16 PM

How do you define living wage?

11. a2z

a2z Phenom

Sep 17, 2017 at 3:37 PM

That might be true, but often the current argument is that the teachers are all quality and the lack of student success is because of factors other than teachers. If this is truly the case, why pay more to get the same result?

12. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:22 PM

If teachers were all the same, we wouldn't need evaluations at all (I know someone will say we don't need them). Every teacher I know is constantly trying to improve some aspect of their teaching. It might be small or big but we all try. I've seen teachers who are better than me, and those who are worse. In the end, effort and commitment to growth is what I think is most important.

13. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:04 PM

I basically agree, but would take it a step further and say that teachers need to be respected as a profession. In some other countries, becoming a teacher is actually rather difficult and so teachers are respected even when they may not make tons of money. They also tend to get more leeway and more preparation time in these countries (I'm thinking primarily Finland and Japan, though I imagine it's similar in some of the other countries.

14. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:19 PM

Being paid more than a corrections officer (starting salaries) who has no college at all and has insurance that is $500 less a month than mine. ANd can retire fully at 20-25 years

15. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:22 PM

what person in their right mind can spend all that money in college (in Fla) to go teach at a salary (most smaller rural counties) than any other person with a degree. And then be subject to the insanity of what the state lawmakers demand of teachers in Fla. And watch the insanity grow exponentially each year............btw I LOVE my job.......and have taught so long that they actually pay me a decent salary.

ms.irene likes this.
  16. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2017 at 4:00 PM

Who in their right mind would choose to be a corrections officer without good pay and benefits?

17. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:25 PM

so you are saying some teachers are not in their right minds? ;)

18. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:11 PM

We're all mad here :p

mathmagic likes this.