Job Search Advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Apr 7, 2018.

  1. bella84

    bella84 Aficionado

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2012
    Messages:
    3,177
    Likes Received:
    1,177

    Apr 27, 2018

    I want to "love" this comment, because it's so true. My school "transitioned" (just another way to say restructured) this year, and people are miserable. Our school is known for being a place that is hard to get into because we're small and people want to come to us. This year, though, people are leaving left and right.
     
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Leaborb192 likes this.
  2. bella84

    bella84 Aficionado

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2012
    Messages:
    3,177
    Likes Received:
    1,177

    Apr 27, 2018

    If you've already made a decision, accept the offer today, and cancel your demo. Don't go to the job fairs.
     
    miss-m and Leaborb192 like this.
  3. svassillion

    svassillion Companion

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2017
    Messages:
    204
    Likes Received:
    147

    Apr 27, 2018

    Agreed! Accept the offer, cancel the demo, and skip the fair. It will make your weekend so much less stressful.
     
    miss-m likes this.
  4. Ms.Holyoke

    Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

    Joined:
    May 14, 2012
    Messages:
    1,636
    Likes Received:
    464

    Apr 28, 2018

    I am still so excited about this job!! :)
     
  5. LouiseB

    LouiseB Cohort

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Messages:
    710
    Likes Received:
    75

    Apr 28, 2018

    Did you say "yes, to the job?"
     
  6. Ms.Holyoke

    Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

    Joined:
    May 14, 2012
    Messages:
    1,636
    Likes Received:
    464

    Apr 28, 2018

    I have not yet. I'm wondering if I should wait until I visit the school on Tuesday and accept in person? I did turn down the demo for the fourth grade job.

    I did go to the career fair this morning for the higher paying district just because a few of my friends are going and I just wanted to make sure I had seen all of the opportunities at the higher paying district. There were a TON of applicants and I get the sense that you need a SPED or ESL license in addition to your content to get hired at this district.
     
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  7. miss-m

    miss-m Devotee

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2014
    Messages:
    1,008
    Likes Received:
    436

    Apr 28, 2018

    If you've gotten the offer and have the number to call and accept, I'd do it ASAP. Especially now you're sure you want it.
     
    bella84 likes this.
  8. Ms.Holyoke

    Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

    Joined:
    May 14, 2012
    Messages:
    1,636
    Likes Received:
    464

    Apr 28, 2018

    Is there a reason that I shouldn't wait until Tuesday?
     
  9. miss-m

    miss-m Devotee

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2014
    Messages:
    1,008
    Likes Received:
    436

    Apr 28, 2018

    I mean... since it's Saturday I guess not really, but it might depend whether you need to accept with the principal or with HR. It could just be a personal thing, but I hate waiting on stuff like that once I've made a decision. Personally I'd get antsy waiting until Tuesday. :D
     
    bella84 likes this.
  10. agdamity

    agdamity Fanatic

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2007
    Messages:
    2,669
    Likes Received:
    428

    Apr 28, 2018

    I would call first thing Monday morning. If you know you are going to accept, you should let them know. In my area, principals do not contact their second choice candidate and tell them they were not selected until the first choice candidate has accepted the position, which means somebody else could be sitting in limbo waiting to hear until you accept.
     
    bella84 likes this.
  11. Ms.Holyoke

    Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

    Joined:
    May 14, 2012
    Messages:
    1,636
    Likes Received:
    464

    Apr 28, 2018

    My reasoning for waiting is because I haven't had a chance to observe any classes or even teach a demo lesson at this school. It seems great but I just want to be 100% sure! My program always told us to observe, meet teachers, etc. before accepting a job.

    I feel at peace with my decision to turn down the 4th grade job. Even though it is a district that I want, even observing the 4th grade class made me feel anxious.
     
  12. bella84

    bella84 Aficionado

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2012
    Messages:
    3,177
    Likes Received:
    1,177

    Apr 28, 2018

    Observing a class may be nice, but that’s just not realistic in most cases. At least not in my area. Where I’m at, it’s a one and done interview. You accept or don’t accept based on that.

    The question I would ask yourself is: is there anything I could learn - within reason - that would stop me from accepting this job? If the answer is no, then just accept it now. If the answer is yes, then get the answer to your questions about your worries. Then choose to accept or not accept. It’s unlikely that an observation alone would change much.
     
    agdamity likes this.
  13. Ms.Holyoke

    Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

    Joined:
    May 14, 2012
    Messages:
    1,636
    Likes Received:
    464

    Apr 28, 2018

    ^
    I am meeting with the principal on Tuesday morning to observe a few math classes.
     
  14. bella84

    bella84 Aficionado

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2012
    Messages:
    3,177
    Likes Received:
    1,177

    Apr 29, 2018

    I understand. But, unless you think something would change your mind after observing, there is no reason to hold off accepting the job.
     
  15. futuremathsprof

    futuremathsprof Aficionado

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,488
    Likes Received:
    942

    Apr 29, 2018

    This made me sad reading this post. I always wonder when reading these stories if the administrators can see they are making their staff miserable. Why would you want to create an atmosphere like that?
     
  16. waterfall

    waterfall Maven

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    Messages:
    5,817
    Likes Received:
    665

    Apr 29, 2018

    I agree with this, and with the pp who pointed out there are likely several other people waiting on pins and needles because they haven't heard anything yet. I can also relate to the pp who said they'd feel antsy not having everything "be official" yet.

    Last time I was job searching, I got a little nervous about the offer from my current school because I'd only done one interview there, and other districts did 2nd and 3rd round interviews, demo lessons, etc. I also had a demo scheduled at another school and had done another interview that I was positive would turn into an offer (it did).

    After thinking it over for a day, I decided that there was nothing in particular that was really going to make me change my mind. There was no reason to like the school I had the demo scheduled at any better, and the one that I knew I was getting an offer for was in a less desirable location (somewhere I didn't want to live). My P had given me her cell number in case I made a decision over the weekend, and I ended up calling her on Saturday afternoon to accept. I felt a lot better knowing my search was officially done!
     
    MrsC and bella84 like this.
  17. Ms.Holyoke

    Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

    Joined:
    May 14, 2012
    Messages:
    1,636
    Likes Received:
    464

    May 1, 2018

    I visited the school today and loved it. They seemed to have very high behavioral and academic expectations of students. However, the details of the job doesn't seem to be completely set yet.

    There are two jobs that are likely available. One is a 6th grade math job for a teacher who is taking a year off. An 8th grade teacher is retiring the following year so whoever took this job would move into that position. I would honestly like a position where I could teach the same grade two years in a row, but I know I can't be picky. I also prefer 6th over 8th.

    The second job is likely a 6th grade math position. The principal told me that that's what he anticipates the position to be but he can't tell me officially. I believe this is full time.

    I am waiting on a call from the director today (not the principal) to talk about the details. I received another interview at a neighboring district. I'm wondering if I should accept the interview until I sign the papers? I also haven't received anything in writing yet.
     
  18. miss-m

    miss-m Devotee

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2014
    Messages:
    1,008
    Likes Received:
    436

    May 1, 2018

    If you love the school and got a good vibe overall, I'd just accept. Last minute changes come with the territory, unfortunately. Last year I was hired to co-teach 1st and ended up in my own 2nd grade room, so things can and likely will change no matter where you are.
     
    bella84 likes this.
  19. Ms.Holyoke

    Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

    Joined:
    May 14, 2012
    Messages:
    1,636
    Likes Received:
    464

    May 1, 2018

    Sorry--I forgot to say that I accepted the job!!

    I'm just not sure if I should keep interviewing until I get something in writing or sign the papers.
     
    miss-m likes this.
  20. TrademarkTer

    TrademarkTer Groupie

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2017
    Messages:
    1,455
    Likes Received:
    990

    May 1, 2018

    Don't waste ya time.
     
    bella84 likes this.

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. Master Pre-K,
  2. TrademarkTer,
  3. gr3teacher,
  4. miss-m,
  5. ThereisnoTry,
  6. Laceyann Yates
Total: 444 (members: 11, guests: 374, robots: 59)
test