Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Apr 7, 2018.
Apr 27, 2018
I’m confused. If both schools seem nice and the office staff, teachers, and principals are amicable and friendly, then shouldn’t this be a no-brainer? You said a few posts ago that having supportive staff makes a huge difference and I would agree, but it doesn’t seem like either school does not unfriendly staff members. So, shouldn’t you just accepted the higher paying school offer?
This exactly. From your posts it actually sounds like you got a much better vibe from the lower paying school, and the anxiety you feel around the higher paying one seems like something you should pay attention to. If your current placement has a lack of good support and your mentor thinks this school will be the same, it could very well end up not being worth the extra money. $48K is not terrible for a first year teacher (though I don't know where you are so I obviously don't know the COL -- $48k is high for where I'm at and can go a long way), and I'd take a lower paying job for a better school climate. It also sounds like the lower paying job is more what you were looking for in terms of content and age, whereas the higher paying one (assuming an offer) is an age you'd have to learn and adjust to, which could make the first year much harder than it needs to be.
Ignore the salary, in all honesty, and look honestly at which position makes you the most excited to teach. Do that without factoring in pay -- look at teacher climate, support, age, content, everything BUT the salary, and then decide. High salary isn't worth it if you're miserable the whole time.
And a high salary won't necessarily save a new teacher who feels overwhelmed and unsupported in a position for which she received no formal training. It's hard enough to be a new teacher in a grade level you are comfortable with, so I imagine it's even harder when you factor in an unfamiliarity with the grade level along with all the other stressors that accompany being a new teacher. I'd hate to see the OP flame out and leave the profession altogether, as so many do, because she started behind the 8-ball.
To quote from the OP:
“When I visited the higher paying school, the office staff was very nice and the principal seemed nice as well. The admin at the lower paying school, however, seemed VERY nice.”
Doesn’t seem toxic to me at either school. Maybe that’s why I’m confused why she is anxious about either school.
Does everyone forget what it was like to have a case of first-time jitters? I'm retired and I still remember how nervous I was in those days! I honestly don't believe both schools have such close similarities - if there's one thing I've learned, it's that things are not always what they appear to be in our public schools. I wonder if the OP has actually made a comparison list of her selection criteria. Just going with her inexperienced gut as some have suggested can be risky.
Yet another soft indicator: In my experience, toxic schools tend to have relatively empty parking lots about 30 minutes after students are dismissed at the end of the day. Those in which teachers appear happy and collegial tend to have quite a few cars still there an hour or two after the last bell. I still think about this whenever I drive by a school shortly after school is out.
Toxic may be the wrong word -- I'm mostly going off what OP has said about lack of support in her current school and mentor's advice about the other school. They may very well be perfectly nice, but it does seem like the lower paying one has more pros than cons.
Okay, that’s fair. Couldn’t she remedy ththat situation by asking specific questions about the higher-paying school and checking with other teachers to see how they feel about working there?
Thanks everyone for the advice!! I am on my way to the higher paying school now and I will let you all know what happens.
I hope you end up making the choice that is best for you and are happy with your decision. No pressure either way and good luck!
I didn't get a great vibe from the high paying school and they want me to teach a demo on Monday. I think I want to take the lower paying job. I think it will be a much more supportive community and content that I am comfortable teaching. This school is in the middle of a ton of restructuring which I am not a fan of.
As someone who is at a school that's being restructured... RUN AWAY. It makes for low morale and a lot of grumpy teachers, even if the changes are for the better.
Anyways, my reasoning is as follows:
-The lower paying job actually pays about 50K, which isn't a bad starting salary for a teacher!
-The higher paying district already hired 3 middle school math teachers, which means I was their 3rd choice.
-I am not super comfortable with the content in 4th grade and I'm not excited to teach it.
-The higher paying district is restructuring which could be a mess! They said I would be teaching 2 fourth grade math classes and intervention, but I'm not sure what type of intervention I would even be doing.
-The lower paying job has a lot of curricular resources and a 6th grade math team. They have collaborative planning time every day. They also seem to align with my philosophy of teaching.
-Although the lower paying district is high needs and low income, they are performing pretty well. I think this is a good place to start in my first year.
I would have made the same choice. Congrats!
I said I would go in for a demo at the high paying school on Monday...how do I explain that I don't want the job?
I also saw the behavior of the 4th graders and I really didn't like it!! I definitely prefer dealing with middle school behavior. I think the teacher yelled at them about 12 times...
Agreed. Now, I can see why she had a bad feeling about that school.
I'd send a brief email letting them know that you've accepted a position elsewhere and thanking them for considering you.
Do you think I should email the other district now saying that I have accepted the position or wait until I visit on Tuesday?
There is also a career fair for the higher paying district tomorrow morning. I really don't want to go but there are two schools with a middle school math opening. I've already applied and haven't heard back.
If you've officially and formally accepted the job, there's no reason to wait to tell the other school.
You don't need to go to the job fair if you've already accepted a position.
Separate names with a comma.