Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Apr 7, 2018.
Apr 26, 2018
What's the difference in salary?
Why are you even applying and interviewing at schools that you do not really want?! You have received two offers, and you don't want them. You are wasting their time too.
All this advice is good, but in the end, the decision is yours to make. If you haven't done so already, make a comparison chart of the two schools listing all your selection criteria, beginning with the most important one at the top of the list. Assign a score of 1-3 for each criteria and check the results. A high needs school (low SES?) with good test scores may be meaningful depending on how you define "good". IMO, compared to many others, if 60% or more of the students are meeting the standards, that would be considered good. Go with the school that racks up the most points on your list to stack the deck in your favor.
If I were in your position I would jump on the offer. Sounds like a pretty good situation and since the higher paying school is only a possibility right now it seems safer to accept this job rather than taking a risk for a potentially higher paying job. That's just my opinion though and you need to do what you think is best.
The offer I just got pays $48,000 with a 2-3 K jump a year. The higher paying district pays $60,000 with a 5K jump a year.
I know I haven't received an offer from the higher paying school but I am pretty sure I will tomorrow. I have until Wednesday to make a decision.
Be careful of the allure of money. Conditions can change quickly at any school. Don't be swayed by any one factor, but go with the one with the highest composite score to play it safe.
What do you mean by conditions can change?
What I meant was that whatever impressed you the most about a school may abruptly change due to: change of admin., budget cuts, teacher retirement, etc. Although there are no guarantees that your experience at one school will be better than another, at least you can try to optimize the outcome by taking everything into account.
One more thing: At some schools, I noticed that people were noticeably friendly. It's what I would call the smile factor - something that was apparent just by walking in the halls or on campus. Teachers would greet each other, students would greet visitors (me), and even the office staff welcomed everyone with warm smiles. These schools would always earn a bonus point on my comparison chart!
100% Agree. Schools where staff smile, say good morning, and introduce themselves right away have been my favorite schools to work in. Likewise, schools where staff avoid making eye contact haven't been a satisfying work environment. It feels a lot better to know the other teachers are supportive instead of competetive.
When I visited the higher paying school, the office staff was very nice and the principal seemed nice as well. The admin at the lower paying school, however, seemed VERY nice.
We have been given advice to apply everywhere! The two offers that have received are offers I want, but I'm not sure which one to take.
I'm confused. What are your two offers? Have you turned down the charter yet, or is that one of the two that you are considering? You still have not officially received an offer with the higher-paying public school, right? So, right now, it's just between the charter and the lower-paying public school? Or are you factoring in the higher-paying school, assuming that you will get an offer?
Sorry---yes I am talking about the higher paying public school. From her phone call, it did seem like I will get an offer. If I don't receive one, I'll take the lower paying public school job for sure.
I am no longer considering the charter school job.
I see. Thanks for clarifying. Out of curiosity, have you officially turned down the charter? Also, you might want to follow up with higher-paying job and let them know that you've received another offer. Let the principal know that you have a deadline to make a decision (lie about it being earlier than it actually is, if you want, so that you have time to consider it). Tell her that her school would be your first choice but that you'll have to go with the other school if she does not make an offer soon, so as to not risk being unemployed. That might prompt her to make her offer sooner rather than later. If she doesn't make the offer soon after that, I'd take the other job and assume that either a) she isn't going to make an offer, or b) she doesn't have her stuff together enough to make a timely offer, and you probably wouldn't want to work for an administrator like that anyway.
I am planning on telling the higher paying district tomorrow that I have another offer and a deadline.
I am feeling very anxious and nervous about this decision.
Been there. Go with you gut. If you dig deep, you’ll discover that you’re leaning one way or the other.
That said, right now, you don’t have a decision to make. You haven’t been offered the other job yet.
It sounds like your gut is telling you to go with the higher paying school, assuming you get an offer. Otherwise, I think you’d feel more comfortable just accepting the offer you’ve been given. So, perhaps your decision should be that you’ll take the offer you have at the lower paying school unless you receive an offer at the higher paying school before the deadline the lower paying school has given you. If you get the offer, then you’ll go with the higher paying school instead.
Obviously, it’s your decision. But, based on everything you’ve shared here, my interpretation is that that’s the way you are leaning.
Apr 27, 2018
What's making me hesitant about the high paying job is:
-the grade level: this is something I'm nervous about because I've never taught 4th grade. Part of me really needs a change from older kids this year as I've had a rough student teaching experience. It's also that I've been prepped to teach 5-8 content not elementary but my methods professor said he has resources to help me. I could also see myself loving this grade. There's something about having kids who still love their teacher that excites me!
-This job is in the district that I'm student teaching in. It's hard to get a job in this district because of the pay. However, my school is AWFUL in terms of teacher support and my mentor seems to think this school will be the same.
I wouldn't rely on getting good materials from a professor to be honest. If I tried to implement any of the stuff my methods professor suggested, I would be an ineffective teacher for my students.
I teach years 8 and 9. If you build a relationship with your students, show them you care about them, respect them, they will still adore you, behave for you, want to please you etc. Your experience with student teaching may be rough but you were not there very long and it’s hard to form relationships with them when your mentor is in the room. The strength of your relationship with your students has significant bearing on their behaviour.
I’d pick the school where I get the best vibes from. Maybe i’m wrong, but if the lower paying school paid the same as the higher paying school, you would accept the offer without waiting for the higher paying school to give you an offer? Can I be devil’s advocate and ask that you ignore the money for a second, because if the school experience is horrible, like you are stuck teaching a grade level you don’t want, or a subject you don’t want, or your collorative team isn’t helpful, or admin don’t back you up with parents or behaviours, then no amount of money will take away your misery and stress. This will be magnified as a first or second year teacher.
I agree 100%! The age of students has nothing to do with their willingness to "please" the teacher--it is all about the relationships you build.
Separate names with a comma.