Job Search Advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2018

So I called the woman back and it's a 4th grade position...AND I would have to teach another subject. I don't think I am interested in that job...

2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Apr 24, 2018

What subject? Which certifications do you have?

Does it pay more than you make now? Do you like the school?

3. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 24, 2018

The fact that your demo lesson didn't go so well is OK! They can sometimes be filled with intentional pitfalls to test your mettle. The important thing is that you pick yourself up, regroup and prepare for the next one! Leaborb gave some excellent suggestions which I'll piggyback on. Always try to get as much preliminary info about your "audience" as possible - don't just ask the secretary who picks up the phone. This will allow you to anticipate the teaching challenges and tailor your lesson accordingly.

Anticipatory Set: To get things started, ignite your demo with an unexpected surprise - a mystery box with live contents, a strange looking puppet (good for ELL), or something that you unwrap slowly. Of course, a bit of showmanship goes a long way. Regardless of their age, talk to the class as if they were middle schoolers to impress the panel. (I personally hate primary teacher talk! :() As Leaborb pointed out, refrain from requiring verbal responses at first until you all become familiar with each other - begin with thumbs up/down or some other physical response.

Comprehension: Again in anticipation of having many ELLs, brush up on teaching ESL techniques if necessary - too many to describe here. Assume that some/many students may not have a well lexicons, so plan to introduce new vocab. early in your lesson.

Modeling: One of the standard components to any ELL lesson is modeling - always model the type of responses that you would like the students to learn. This is especially important so students can understand how to use new vocabulary and new grammatical structures.
    Here's an easy way to model oral language to any group of students. You'll need a student assistant (one of your own students perhaps) who is familiar with the routine. After introducing new vocab. have your assistant demonstrate the target response with you. Of course, this would vary according to what you're teaching.

Teacher: Asks the student a question
    Student: Responds in a complete sentence

Demonstrate this simple dialog a few times to give the class clear examples of what they are to say.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2018

It's a 4th grade math position and I may have to teach another subject too :( I'm only certified for math grades 5-8 but it might be a good foot in the door.

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Apr 24, 2018

You don't need no stinkin' foot in the door! Districts will eventually be drooling for someone to fill 5-8 math spots.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 24, 2018

I observed a 2nd grade lesson where a teacher asked students to pair-share. Students were talking over each other, weren't taking turns, and weren't on topic. Total chaos.

Ideally, they should be labeled partner A & B (sometimes, I've seen large labels on each student's desk). Or, if the lesson is on the rug, students are aware of which person is partner A and B. First, partner A will tell partner B about (insert what you want them to talk about and give them a sentence frame). Then, partner B will do the same.

I showed this quick 2 minute video at a staff meeting about sentence frames during math (specifically, throughout number talks). Sentence frames are so incredibly important for our ELs.

Leaborb192 and futuremathsprof like this.
  7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  8. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Apr 24, 2018

7:45-3:45 was the students' day. I generally worked 7:15-4:15 at the very least and still did tons of work at home. YMMV, of course, but for me it was untenable (although the length of day was only a *very* small part of why I ultimately left that school - on its own, it probably would have felt not quite as bad). Most of the public schools around here - including most of the other schools in that district - run closer to a 7-hr. school day for students.

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2018

I'm visiting the school about the 4th grade position on Friday. I'm considering it because the district pays very, very well and it's a normal length school day.

10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2018

Does anyone have any advice for me about this position? I am thinking about it for a few reasons...

-I think 8th graders are too old for me and I wanted to teach a younger grade like 6th or 7th grade. I like how 4th graders still want to please their teacher, etc. I think I would prefer behavior management at this age.
    -They wanted a teacher with strong math content knowledge for this grade level, which I think is really nice.
    -She said I could probably also teach an 8th grade math intervention class.
    -This district is apparently hard to get into because it pays very well. I would make 60K as a starting teacher and jump up 5K every year.
    -The downside is that I would likely have to teach another subject...maybe science but I think this is doable.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  11. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 24, 2018

IMO, having a strength in math, you should have no problem teaching science. I think you would be seen as a strong candidate for the position. From what you've described, I think you should have no hesitation should they offer it to you. Good luck!

With all the advantages on the plus side, having to juggle the challenges of teaching the 8th grade science class are relatively minor compared to your having to work in a less desirable environment often described in this forum.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Leaborb192 likes this.
  12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2018

bella84 likes this.
  13. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2018

^
    I'm unclear about how the schedule would work but we would split two classes. I'm not sure if I would just teach two classes of 4th grade math or an 8th grade intervention or 4th grade math and 4th grade science. They are still figuring out the schedule but the team would be me, the another teacher, and a special ed teacher. I LOVE that they have a sped teacher on the team and I really want to work as part of a team like this. I would obviously have a prep for next year I'm not sure if they'll have the special ed teacher teach a subject? I have been looking at the 4th grade curriculum and I really like it. I would also love to start getting things ready around now for the next year instead of scrambling in July as well. I also don't want to just take a job for the salary but I am starting out my career and I really want to start saving some money!! I would make more $$ and work less hours compared to the other job.

I LOVED the population of kids in the other school that I had a demo at yesterday. The pay, however, is lower (48K) for the hours we would have to work.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  14. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2018

15. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2018

^
    I think I would mainly be a 4th grade math teacher (2 classes) but I would likely have one other class to teach.

16. pommom

pommom Comrade

Apr 24, 2018

You would need to take the test over the summer for the science position.
    The job for the math and science position hasn't sent you an offer yet, right? You seem to be jumping ahead of yourself. Just wait and see what happens. You do still have to interview for it, right?

Did you turn down the charter school yet?
    I would take it if you know it is at-will. Worse case scenario, you are not offered anything during the summer, and you would have wished you took that offer at the charter school. I would take the job, and keep interviewing elsewhere. Try to get another job early on in the summer, so the charter school will have enough time to find a replacement for you.

Good job on getting interviews early in April! I have been applying to a few places, but no interviews at all yet. Hardly any schools around here are posting up positions I am wanting to teach (ELAR co-teach or resource).

Leaborb192 and bella84 like this.
  17. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Apr 24, 2018

My first job was teaching 6th grade science. I had no specific background in science - my certification was 1-6 generalist and 1-6 sped - so I was a little nervous taking it, but I really loved it You can make it very hands-on and engaging for kids. I learned a ton!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  18. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2018

I'm not sure if I have been offered the 4th grade job but it seems like I have. They said that they think I'll be a good fit for the position, etc. I'm still VERY conflicted and I would appreciate any insights you may have for me.

I am planning on turning down the charter school job.

19. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 25, 2018

After thinking about it a bit more, the staffing configuration does appear to be somewhat unusual, especially for a public school. Such fragmented schedules are sometimes used when the numbers of students don't warrant a full-time 4th grade position. Perhaps it would help you to know more about the current schedule and what the projections are for the subsequent years in terms of school demographics. Does admin view this as a temporary configuration until enrollment increases in the 4th or 8th grades? If possible, talk to the other members of the team to find out what their speculations are for the near future.

Why don't the 4th grade teachers teach math to their own students? It seems odd that 4th grade is already being compartmentalized at this school. Does this mean you'll actually just be teaching classes of 4th grade math and science plus an 8th grade intervention class? What subject will the intervention class focus on?

Leaborb192 likes this.
  20. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2018

It seems like the principal wanted to departmentalize since the teachers don't have strong content/pedagogical knowledge in math. They said the schedule isn't figured out yet and I would have input. I wasn't super clear on what else the P was saying since we were talking on the phone. All I know is that I would teach 4th grade math AND something else. I'm not sure what that might be...science or intervention. I don't think I would do both. I assume I might have kids during silent reading, snack, etch

Leaborb192 likes this.