Job on the line

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by cbear17, Aug 27, 2017.

1. cbear17

cbear17 New Member

Aug 27, 2017

I am teaching 5th grade. I was hired pending my RICA results. I failed. I retook it the week before school started and missed it by 6 points. I am on substitute status right now. I want to do the performance assessment but it won't be graded until November. Meantime, they are trying to get me in to my induction courses. They would need the results by November 3. I can video tape and get it done in the next few weeks but that doesn't change the fact the they won't review it until November. I am willing to pay for tutoring or classes but there is limited support out there. I am willing but I keep hitting walls.i am not sure how much longer I can be a substitute. I have been searching for ways around the RICA. I finished all my course work.

3. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Rookie

Aug 27, 2017

What have you been using to study so far? Ready for RICA was very helpful for me. I didn't just study the content, but I really worked to understand the structure of the test too. If you PM me, I can hopefully help. I just took it in July and I'm currently subbing, so I have some extra time.

4. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Oct 14, 2017

Unfortunately there isn't a way around the RICA--- I totally understand where you're coming from, though-- I failed 2x by 3 points both times and through a series of unfortunate events wasn't able to secure a job before the school year began due to RICA, edTPA and results.

If they must have results by November 3rd it seems like your only option is to take the written again. My best advice it to focus of your weak areas. And when it comes to case studies-- go in with a handful of strategies that can be used for different areas of need that could pop up. Also-- don't over think the essay-- it doesn't have to be essay form, you can bullet point your answers.
    -- This is the problem
    --This is my strategy to intervene
    --This is why it will work

It doesn't have to be fancy.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. isaghasemi

isaghasemi New Member

Jan 17, 2018

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2018

There is no way around the RICA.

7. futuremathsprof

Jan 17, 2018

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 20, 2018

When you can tell it’s an ESL issue, I don’t think it’s necessary to call someone out over it. You can understand what they mean.

9. futuremathsprof

Jan 20, 2018

No, I actually don’t know what it means. I’m not calling this person out for an ESL issue. I don’t understand what he/she says when they say said, “It doesn’t well.” The second half makes sense, the first half doesn’t. I deal with foreigners on a regular basis and ask them to restate what they say or to explain what they mean when they try to speak in English.

10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Jan 20, 2018

There's also the fact that the person posting it only has ONE post, and the version of the post you see is actually the edited version. Just some observations. It almost reads like what I see in the spam folder of my inbox.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  11. rebecca lynn

rebecca lynn New Member

May 17, 2018

Hey! did you end up doing the written or video?
    if you did the video how was it?