Job Offer Dilemma

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Chelseacat12, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Chelseacat12

Chelseacat12 Rookie

Jun 6, 2018

Monday I interviewed at a school I absolutely loved. It is close to me and a public school which I was looking for and I thought the interview went well. The principal told me that I shouldn't be worried if I don't hear back soon because they are very swamped with end of the year things. However, today I did a demo lesson/interview at a charter school and they offered on the spot. Being a first year teacher, I'd take any job I can get, but if I accept this job and the first school calls me back afterwards I'd be so upset. Would it be bad to accept this charter school job and if the other school made an offer take that instead?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2018

Most charters are "at will", meaning they can let you go without cause or notice, and the beauty is that it is a two way street. Something to think about.

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 6, 2018

My charter school had people back out on jobs ALL the time. I say take the job and then decline it if the public school calls. Here, the charter and public circles are very separated...nobody will know.

5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Jun 7, 2018

How did you feel about the charter school?

I was offered a charter school job that I declined in March. I was considering accepting and backing out but I realized it just wasn't a job that I wanted to take. The school seemed fine but the location and hours weren't worth it. I would check with the charter about how many hours teachers are supposed to stay at the school as well as the salary.

I would ask the charter how much time you can have to think about it. Then, email school #1, and tell them you have another offer but they are your first choice.

6. Chelseacat12

Chelseacat12 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018

I didn’t know that, thank you!

7. Chelseacat12

Chelseacat12 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018

That’s what I was thinking too, thank you for the advice :)

8. Chelseacat12

Chelseacat12 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018

I like the school but (similar to you) the drive is a bit far WITHOUT traffic and it’s area that always gets busy in the morning. I’ll have to ask about the hours. I like the school but I just love this public school. I’m scared to email #1 school haha but I guess I should right?

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 7, 2018

The principal said it was a busy time; I wouldn’t email yet, if it was me.

10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Jun 7, 2018

What are you certified to teach? I felt a little more comfortable with turning down the charter school job because I'm certified in middle school math and it was early in the hiring season. Teaching jobs are competitive in my area but I knew that middle school math was a little bit easier to get into compared to elementary or English/SS.

I would definitely ask the charter school job about expected teacher hours. Is it an in-district charter? My friends got jobs at charter schools that pay the same as the public school district. This school does not require more hours than the local public schools do. However, the charter I interviewed at had 8 hour school days plus 1 hour meetings for teachers everyday. Another charter school I applied to had teacher work days that were 7am-5pm. These are schools that I did not want to work in because I did not want to burn out quickly--I want to be a career teacher. A teacher in the school I student taught at told me that charters in my area often take advantage of teachers. So I would definitely ask about class sizes, teacher hours, meetings, etc. so you can make an informed decision.

If you do not want to email the principal, I would ask the charter for more time to think about the offer. Personally, since it is June, I would accept the job and continue applying to public schools. At some point, you need to do what is best for yourself and your family.

bella84 likes this.
  11. Chelseacat12

Chelseacat12 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018

I am certified to teach K-6 elementary all subjects, but also hold a degree in literature so would considered more for ELA. The public schools in my area are also VERY competitive and require a lot of connections for the most part. I will ask about the hours because first year teaching is stressful enough I don’t want to be burnt out with long hours and the drive. Thank you so much for your advice I appreciate it.

12. Chelseacat12

Chelseacat12 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018

Update: I got a demo lesson for this Tuesday at my number 1 choice school! 20 min demo lesson for fifth grade reading :) thanks for all of the advice I hope it works out!

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2018

Good luck! :)

Chelseacat12 likes this.
  14. Chelseacat12

Chelseacat12 Rookie

Jun 8, 2018

Thanks!! :)

15. lolo

lolo Rookie

Jun 22, 2018 at 9:46 AM

Hi all. I am in the process of interviewing for an elementary teaching position at a charter school. I am pretty sure I will be offered a position. I want to hear (read) the good, bad and ugly about working for a charter school. When I tell people about the interview I get looks and "do your research" and "are you sure you want to do that?" Comments but no one elaborates.

16. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:44 PM

From what I've gathered, teaching in a charter school is basically the Walmart (or Target if it's a classier charter school) of public schools.

17. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:56 PM

I think a lot depends on the state.

In Ohio, the majority (but NOT all) charter schools are a mess and many have been shut down due to mismanagement and fraud.
    You will need to do your homework and find out about the charter where you are interviewing.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2018 at 5:48 PM

The charter schools where I am are actually part of the public school district (with minor changes). They are perfectly fine to work in.

19. Chelseacat12

Chelseacat12 Rookie

Jun 23, 2018 at 7:19 PM

I agree I think it depends on the state/organization of the charter school. The one I was interviewing for and received an offer from was really great to both students and teachers. However I never actually worked in it so I couldn’t tell you the “behind the scenes” really of what it’s like working for one. Just do your research and ask a lot of questions! You don’t have to take a job on the spot!