Job interview scheduling

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by i.heart.trees, Jul 12, 2018.

1. i.heart.trees

i.heart.trees Rookie

Jul 12, 2018

1. I scheduled an interview for Tuesday at 1:15
    2. Today I got a call for an interview on the same day at 12:30. This is at a school 13 minutes away. The interview organizer said that the interview would be thirty minutes long.
    3. The directions for the 1:15 interview ask to arrive 5 minutes ahead time... so really 1:10.

Should I contact the interview organizer for the 1:15 (really 1:10) interview and let them know my situation?

3. i.heart.trees

i.heart.trees Rookie

Jul 12, 2018

Of course I'll need to contact them... but what should I include/leave out?

4. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jul 12, 2018

I don't know which of them you should contact, but I would definitely contact one of them. The worst thing that you could do is to just leave the schedule as is and take your chances that you'd arrive on time to the second one. You'd probably worry about it during your first interview, and that would likely affect the quality of your responses. You might show up late to the second interview and give a bad first impression.

It sounds like you've already decided that you're going to contact the later interview. Is there a reason that you can't ask to move up the first interview? If it were me, I'd keep my first choice/better chance interview scheduled as it is and ask to move my second choice/worse chance interview either earlier or later, depending on which it is. Keep in mind that both schools likely have other things scheduled before or after your interviews, and neither may be willing to move the interview just a few minutes earlier or later. You might have to reschedule one for another day or cancel it altogether.

Whichever you choose to contact, you can either be honest and let them know that you are interviewing elsewhere or you can just say that you've had a conflict arise and ask if they'd be willing to move the time. The benefit of being honest that you have another interview is that it signals to them that you are being sought after by other schools, and that may increase their interest in you or speed them up in making a decision about you. The downside of being honest is that, by asking one school to move their interview time for another school, you are implying that they are the less important school and that you are placing the other school as a higher priority. If you leave it vague, you are still implying that something else is more important, but they don't have to know that the more important thing is another interview. Maybe they'll think it's a family or medical issue and be understanding. Who knows? In the end, you just have to decide what you are more comfortable with letting them think.

i.heart.trees likes this.
  5. i.heart.trees

i.heart.trees Rookie

Jul 12, 2018

Bella84, thank you so much for your response! I feel like you untangled a few knots that I was trying to comprehend.