Job Hunt Frustration, Venting & Support Thread!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Leaborb192, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 15, 2016

See this to me makes no sense. Logically if you have a good sub and you have positions open you hire that sub as an appointed teacher! Wouldn't it make sense to fill positions with good educators? I don't know where you're located but that's not the mentally in NYC schools.

Sure we do have a sub shortage and we have our go to subs but the ones we have in our building are retired teachers. I've had friends that were subs and have had P's hire them or if they didn't have an open position the P's contacted other P's they knew and said to please hire this teacher on multiple occasions. Same thing has happened to teacher friends while they were student teaching.

I've only known subs who didn't get hired for open positions because they weren't great and the P's just thought of them as "warm bodies" in the classroom.

2. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Comrade

Jul 15, 2016

Metro STL area. The lines here don't move very fast.

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 15, 2016

I also just want to say to everyone looking to hang in there. I was job hunting for 1 1/2 years before I found my current position and I went on probably close to 20 interviews during that time. With sending out at least 200 resumes. It's hard and frustrating. I've been offered a job and had it rescinded. I've been looked over as a 2nd or 3rd option and offered a job after I already taken one. I've even been rejected to jobs I never applied too. 2 years later I'm still contacted by charter networks I interviewed at asking if I'm still looking. But none of those jobs were the one for me.

Just know that you'll get that feeling when the stars align and the right job is offered to you. You won't sit and ponder and hope you did a good job at the interview. You'll know, and how you'll know is different for everyone. There's no perfect interview, but there's the good feeling interview.

So hang in there and good luck.

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Jul 15, 2016

It's true. Everything happens for a reason. But it's a big gut punch when you do have that "good feeling" interview, thought you clicked well with the people only to find out so did somebody else and they got the job. But I would say the more flexible you are, the better chances you have. If you have your heart set on X district (or area) and REFUSE to look anywhere else, you may be stuck (in disappointment) waiting for a while! At a certain point, if you can, you have to say: I'm going to widen my search range to include different towns, another part of the state, or another state entirely. Or, you may have to take a grade you're not too thrilled about but it's a stepping stone to something greater. I just know all of those people who would are dying to be in the classroom, but are stuck doing other things waiting for their shot, which will (probably) never come. It's disappointing and a total bummer, but it's a sad reality. In the meantime, see about expanding your own skill set so that you can go to the admin, resume in hand, and say, "Here are all the things I can bring to the table." Districts want to get the most "bang for their buck" just like every other business. In my ed program, I met a girl who said that she would never take another class, after the program she was "done." Well, if it's a choice between you and somebody else who has a few extra classes in their back pocket, that may be the deciding factor. If somebody can come in and say, "Oh yeah, I have all this experience in SPED, for example," Districts will salivate at that because that's who the students are:
    1. SPED
    2. ELLs
    3. Low readers

If you can in some way show that you have the experience and credentials to demonstrate you can successfully instruct those guys, you've got a good shot. But if you're just out of the gate and don't have much or taught in a small town where all the kids were, more or less, "the same," it's pretty hard to show that. I'm glad for my experiences in AZ because I do now have time working with ELL's under my belt that I wouldn't have otherwise had. And I was responsible for picking goals, writing the students' ILLPS, instructing and tracking their progress. We didn't have an ESOL teacher, it was all on me to do. But I did it.

:):raisedhands:

5. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Comrade

Jul 15, 2016

I am adding a SPED endorsement to my license this semester. At this point, I'm willing to try a lot of things. Now if somebody would buy the house...

6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Jul 15, 2016

Do it and rack up experience. We had a SPED TA who EASILY got a job teaching second grade because she had worked alongside the crew for years watching and learning differentiation for students because that's what they do. So when it was time to interview she could easily say, "Yep, this is what I know and can do in the classroom." In Special Ed you're TRAINED to think about diverse learners and their needs. So aren't gen ed teachers but not to the same extreme, I would say. The more classes and workshops you can take, and of course teaching experience, the better off you'll be.
    :thumbs:

People have urged me to go for a bilingual endorsement too. Perhaps I will later on.

I have a smiley addiction, I'm seeking help!
    :clapping::toofunny:

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Jul 15, 2016

I just got ANOTHER rejection letter:

"Thank you for your interest in ... District. At this time all the positions have been filled... should other positions open up... you will be considered."
    :roll::down:

How thoughtful! Why not consider me at a time when it actually helps?!
    :banghead::!?::brokenheart:

BTW: another week is almost over and no phone calls.

8. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Comrade

Jul 15, 2016

That's so nice...should we decide you aren't a loser, we'll call you back. But here's a sub packet for the road.

9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Jul 15, 2016

They didn't even send any sub info.
    :oops::coldsweat::(

10. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Comrade

Jul 15, 2016

You just won the internets. Doesn't help with a teaching job, but ya know...

11. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 15, 2016

See I've also had that "good feel" interview where it didn't pan out. But I realized that good feel wasn't genuine because I had like 5 teachers interviewing me and no admin. The only time I've had that good connection and gotten the job was when one or two people where interviewing and one was admin. It was more intimate, more genuine.

I'm sure others have had different experiences. I think when you have too many cooks in the kitchen everyone's opinion is going to clash thus making it harder to decide on a candidate.

12. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Comrade

Jul 15, 2016

Got another "you're a loser" letter today. They asked me to sign up for the sub list (I'm already on it).

I will give them much credit for being quick and decisive. Also, no pleasantries...which I like.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Jul 15, 2016

I have a job now but I totally understand your frustrations. Before I got my current job I applied to a ton of schools. I do give credit to those schools who have the courtesy to send you a letter or email. Most schools just let you keep guessing and eventually you just figure out you didn't get a job since you heard nothing.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2016

Schools DONT know who they want to hire on the first interview. They know who could be a potential fit. Second interviews and demos give other looks at those candidates. Keep at it and know EVERY interaction in the process matters.

15. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Comrade

Jul 15, 2016

That is why I send a thank you for every rejection. What harm can it do?

czacza likes this.
  16. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Comrade

Jul 16, 2016

Ran into the principal who sent this rejection yesterday at the local farmers market...she told me it was a difficult decision to pass me over (bull) and asked me if I was going to sub there (been on the list since early June). I am happy I didn't tell her off. :)

17. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 16, 2016

One thing that I feel has helped me in job hunts is to have a professional portfolio that includes my teaching philosophy, classroom management plan (which includes procedures, rules, and examples of differentiation), examples of student work or photos of students engaged in learning, along with my resume and other common documents.

Even for interviews where I feel I was mediocre, I gave them the portfolio before I would leave and they would "get back to me", I've had them call up and tell me they were very impressed with my portfolio. This year, I made my portfolio all digital (a website), and just gave them the link to it. I think it really made a difference.

18. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Jul 16, 2016

I have a digital portfolio (accessible on Google Drive) that I share the link with, however, I have yet been asked to provide one. But if they want to look, it's there.

19. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Comrade

Jul 16, 2016

I have one on a flash drive as well as an old-time paper one that I take with me. Again, at least I'm a well prepared reject, right?

20. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Jul 16, 2016

So indirectly tied to the job hunt, but:

I just got back from taking the NYS Literacy CST and it was MAD EASY! I've been down this road before and failed, but I really felt good about it. A lot of the questions were "themed" questions with common sense, text book type answers that I was like: "Yep, that's it!" And I'm glad I taught ELL's in Arizona because it heavily emphasized instructional strategies to use with those guys. If I can pass on the first try, this will help me going into the program that will start in the fall because I'll know coming out that I'll be eligible to apply for the license and will just live a weight off at the end. So many people graduate unable to apply for the license because of the tests, ERR! The girl next to me kept looking at my screen... um hello... we weren't even taking the same test, but nice try! LOL And the writing prompt was a joke. I'm hoping to score a "4" on it. I just tried to keep it plain and simple and as to the point as possible.
    :):celebrate::thumbs:

Anyway, I hope I passed... 520/600 is all I need baby! If I can pass the test, I can apply for a provisional license and teach while I take the classes, which is very helpful!