Job Hunt Frustration, Venting & Support Thread!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Leaborb192, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 14, 2016

I will say that back when I was job hunting and naive about being hopeful the most annoying thing a school could do is send you an update email about the position you applied for and say the P was still deciding.

Now I never met the P and even had 2 references from teachers at this school and still didn't get the position.

One time that was completely the most frustrating and made me the angriest ever in job hunting was when I was verbally offered a position after demoing and interviewing and they called me back and said well our chairperson on the board wants us to interview his niece now. Of course I had already submitted my 2 weeks notice and couldn't take it back (school year had already started). Needless to say I didn't get the job and I was unemployed for months. It was a very hard time in my life but I lived through it and I am much happier today because of it.

2. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2016

It's NOT official until it's in writing. That's one thing I know and will NEVER mess around with. This is why I ALWAYS try to use email communication and tell others to do the same: you can't refute or deny a claim if it's in your own words right there in front of you. People lie, misrepresent the truth and "don't remember" saying things. But if you can bust out a saved email, Voila, there ya go!

It is a pain, though, to interview go all the rounds, click with the people and think you've got it and then suddenly, NOPE! JK!
    :!?::angry:

This is why I'm going for a Master's in Literacy because I know that I want to try and make myself stand out as much as possible. It'll open doors because I will be able to apply for Reading teacher jobs as well as gen ed 1-6 teacher positions. I'm also working toward my Spanish 7-12 cert too because I know districts want you to be able to bring a lot of skills to their school. I've seen it again and again. If nothing else having that on my resume will at least look good and maybe entice them to invite me to the interview where I can sell myself.
    I'll deal with the potential "over qualified" BS later.

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 14, 2016

I'm not sure if a Master's in Literacy markets you better. It's the most common Master's next to Admin that people have in NY. That and the fact that reading positions are being cut left and right in good districts and P's are putting those teachers back in the classroom. I know you want to move outta state though.

Of course if that's where your heart is go for it, I hope it works out for you.

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2016

It is and I think my DREAM JOB would be math AIS teacher. I know that those are really rare. :(And a lot of the job postings on OLAS say in the description, "Literacy or SPED preferred' as an attachment to the gen ed position so it definitely helps.

5. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 14, 2016

In order to do AIS in the city you have to have your SPED license. My school has an opening for it. The only reason we even have that as an opening is because the person who did it went from full time to F status. And not sure if any internal SPED teachers are interested.

6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2016

I toyed with teaching to the city, and even got an interview request from PS 195 in The Bronx. I'm a country guy.
    SPED is definitely a money maker. Unfortunately so many study it just for that fact and have no real passion or desire to help those kids.

7. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 14, 2016

Yeah I teach in the Bronx. The rumor mill is teachers leave to teach in the burbs around years 4-7 because that's the sweet spot of experience the burbs are looking for.

Exactly why my masters is not SPED as well. It's not my passion what I have my Master's in is my passion and I get to explore using it in my classroom. I thought about ESL but the 12 additional credits of FL was not something I was willing to do. I may do G&T if I have the nerve to go back to school.

8. heatherberm

heatherberm Comrade

Jul 14, 2016

Leaborb, are you fluent in Spanish? I can't imagine you're not doing this, but just in case you're not, make sure you have the fact that you're bilingual on your resume and mention it interviews. In my district, being fluent in Spanish would make a huge impression and easily be a deciding factor between candidates who are otherwise on equal footing.

9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2016

PSH! Browsing the job ads , I see that a District I applied to has reposted the elementary position... those F&#$&@**@#$@! Apparently they couldn't find their "Prince (or Princess) Charming" among all the people who previously applied. I'm applying again! I knew a guy who auditioned numerous times for "American Idol" and FINALLY made it on... only to be kicked off the show shortly after arriving to Hollywood.

:mad::!?::angry:

10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2016

It does come up but it doesn't carry much weight in the North Country. There's like NO ELL's and the foreigners who are here speak Quebecois French. This is why I flourished in AZ. It was like HEAVEN for me!
    :D

11. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 14, 2016

Got a rejection email with a sub package in the mail today...because people told they suck certainly want to go back to that district to make 70 bucks a day. #really

12. heatherberm

heatherberm Comrade

Jul 14, 2016

Guess it depends on where you are. I'm in CNY and my school is now pretty close to 50% Spanish speaking and that's not unusual across the district. That's why I asked. The district I worked at in WNY was the same way. They're both large urban districts though.

ETA: That's not to suggest there's anything wrong with urban districts. I love where I work. Just to say, I know not everyone wants to work in an urban school.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    teacherintexas likes this.
  13. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2016

You know what I think it is (and this is truth), that some districts don't want to hire and risk losing subs because of the existing sub shortage. If they have a good solid pool of people, why risk it? Now that's probably a rationalization to make you feel better, but I do believe that it's true as well.

14. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2016

That's the difference though. NY is so diverse, down near the City there's a huge immigrant and thus ELL population. Up here, it's all cows and rednecks speaking "American." ;)

15. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2016

I will say, though, in all fairness that the district that seems the most interested and called my references is ALSO trying to hire a math teacher, counselor, English teacher and special ed teachers, so they probably are busy so I don't think they're completely blowing me off (ugh-- that phrase) and I just have to sit tight and hope that they don't forget me in this process. I'm wondering if they're trying to hire people all at the same time before they send out notices? I'm remaining hopeful.:thumbs:

16. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 14, 2016

The sub shortage...I've been told that a few districts are not hiring as many full time teachers because the sub pool is so depleted. It's frustrating for me to hear how I'm a good sub...because that damns me into sub list hell.

Interview coming up on Monday about 3 hours north of me...maybe I can shed the "sub" label on that one.

17. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 14, 2016

That last post was officially frustration boiling over.

18. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2016

That's why I created this thread. To let it all out. There's nothing more frustrating than to have these feelings and no place to vent them. :mad:

That's why in my own classroom, a lot of the times, I'd just let the kids let it out without fear of judgment or repercussions. Too often times kids just need to say things, let it out and move on. But then they tell their teachers and get in trouble, sent to the office, etc. I like to create a safe space where it's OK to be angry. It's all good with me.

mckbearcat48 likes this.
  19. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Rookie

Jul 15, 2016

The best jobs I've had are the ones where I was given the job either immediately or within a few days. When I relocated from NY, I had driven to my interview in VA, and I received the phone call about the job before I got back. When I switched to a brand-new school in my area, I was interviewed before the official posting, and they unofficially hired me that day. I had to go through the process like everybody else, but I had a contract by the end of April. The school I was just at I got hired the next day, and the one I'm going to now I was hired at the job fair. The only reason I'm leaving for this new one is bad change in administration-I'd still be at my other school if my old principal was there.

While interviewing is very frustrating, I truly believe if you are the right person, they know it right away and so do you.

20. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 15, 2016

I think you are probably right. I usually have felt good about interviews, but failed on all of them. I have one more shot Monday to change that.