Job Hunt Frustration, Venting & Support Thread!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Leaborb192, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Jul 11, 2016

2. msz101

msz101 Rookie

Jul 11, 2016

I feel your pain. I've been trying to get into a Westchester district for the last eight years. Some districts don't even tell you if you weren't selected, which is very unprofessional to say the least. It seems like it's who you know, not what you know when it comes to getting hired.

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Jul 11, 2016

It's absolutely WHO you know. If you can sit in an interview and name drop, you're pretty golden. This is why first year teachers have no (or a very small) chance of edging their way in. They can't sit in an interview and chit-chat or share little stories. So a lot of admin won't even give them the time of day unless it's an undesirable position and/or in an undesirable location that no one else will even touch. Or they'll hire you and give you all "those" students. It really is an unfair and rigged system that New York (speaking about since I know this state) has going. The colleges continue to graduate students who will just get lost and will just have to take a number and wait in line for their chance. It'll probably never happen or not anytime soon. Again, I think it's quite ridiculous that they have these "openings" when they know that they'll already hire so-and-so. Why bother? Or they don't give ANYBODY a chance, and then you see the same posting open again with an extended deadline. It's like, "Really?" It's very disheartening. New York is my home but god damn it's a messed up system we have here!
    :angry:

I know perfectly well these problems are universal. But at least in other places you can get a job easier. I mean in AZ there are programs that if you student-teach in the district, they'll GIVE you the job after you graduate! How wonderful! I'm coming back for my second master's and then will probably skedaddle shortly after. Yikes.

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Jul 12, 2016

...still waiting on those phone calls... I love vague terms like "soon" and "in a few weeks."

:whistle:

5. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Comrade

Jul 12, 2016

They should be honest and say "a quarter to never".

msz101 likes this.
  6. msz101

msz101 Rookie

Jul 12, 2016

The best is when you put tons of effort into the demo lesson, take two days off for the interview and after the demo, you get "thanks for coming in, you'll hear from us soon". Four weeks past, no word until I called and the secretary says "oh those positions have been filled already". That's when I replied "thanks for letting me know".

7. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Comrade

Jul 12, 2016

It's so much more professional than telling them what we really think. :)

8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Jul 12, 2016

"Better chance next time LOSER!"
    :oops:

9. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Comrade

Jul 12, 2016

There are admins in here...do you compliment those you reject?

10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Jul 12, 2016

What?

11. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Comrade

Jul 12, 2016

Just asking if that's a common thing.

12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Jul 12, 2016

Is your question not addressed to me? I think I misunderstand what you posted. You're asking the admin on the board about how they think and respond to the candidates. Gotcha. I had a moment.
    I too would like to know what's up.

:)

13. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jul 12, 2016

I was shocked when I received a phone call from a public school letting me know that I did not get the job. But they responded within the definite time frame they gave me, and they gave me really great feedback. I knew leaving that it was not the best fit for me, and they agreed but told me lots of things that they liked that I said and referred me to the primary school in the district. I have so much respect for this district about how they handle their interviews. I wish everyone was like that!

14. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Comrade

Jul 12, 2016

If you have to get rejected, that seems to be a good way to handle it.

15. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Companion

Jul 13, 2016

I don't think all compliments in rejections are disingenuous. Just because one candidate is better doesn't mean the rest are all terrible with no positive qualities...

16. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Jul 13, 2016

That's absolutely true. It just feels like crap and all we hear is the rejection. I know full well that a lot of other candidates are way more experienced than I am and realistically admin wants those people, but it still hurts to hear, "You were great, but we've selected another candidate." I think the thinking is, if I'm so great and you love me, hire me. But then of course they wouldn't be able to accommodate all the people, there just aren't enough jobs.
    I totally understand the position admin is especially since they want to hire the "one" who is willing to stay and form a serious long lasting relationship with the District. They don't like turnover and have to judge each candidate based on his or her potential to stay or leave. That's a factor, too. Doesn't mean we have to like it. And then even still, the interview is all a facade anyway. People (tend to) smile, lie (or at least embellish the truth) and "play the game," so you never quite know who you are actually hiring until you've seen them in action after some time. It's like dating and "playing house" and then actually moving in with that person. Uh oh!

o_O

17. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Jul 13, 2016

I got a call from a friend (also a named reference) last night telling me how the principal (really the Super) called her for a reference on my behalf. So then I called her and we talked and she's insistent that based on the convo they had that I will get the job. She said that she talked me up and said to the super that, "She would hire me instantly and without hesitation" ( yeah, I have cheerleaders) and I tried to tell her that while it was nice, they're probably just calling to check if I'm worthy of putting in the candidate pool that they have for the position. NY and its hoops! :roll:
    My question is: when do they call references? Would they waste their time contacting them if they weren't serious about a candidate or do they just contact them because? When in the process (beginning, middle or end) do they do this? What do you think?
    Thanks.

18. heatherberm

heatherberm Comrade

Jul 13, 2016

The only time I've ever had a reference tell me they'd been contacted by a school, I got the job. I can't imagine they'd call references until they were pretty serious, down to the last few people at least. I've never been in a hiring position though so I'm just spit-balling. Good luck! I hope it's good news.

19. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 13, 2016

Congrats!! They just contacted all of my references on Monday and today I'm going in for my final interview with the assistant superintendent. I think they contact references when they're down to only 2-3 candidates, so that's a good sign on your part. You should probably hear from them this week/next week, unless there are more interviews in that process for you.

20. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Comrade

Jul 13, 2016

It, to me, just doesn't seem necessary. Of course, I've always held the belief that a person can't do well and come up short...so that has something to do with it. I know some have said they want to make sure applicants feel good so they reapply...but if they weren't good enough then what makes them worthy later?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016