Job Hunt Frustration, Venting & Support Thread!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Leaborb192, Jul 7, 2016.

1. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Apr 15, 2017

I have a girlfriend but no kids, and my 15 min. commute feels so tedious every morning because it's a very short distance but has traffic. My school last year was 5 mins. away, so I guess I'm spoiled!

With that said, I'm OK with the longer commute because it's a better school. Also, I'd be willing to push my commute to 30-40 mins. if it means being able to rent an actual single family home or at least townhouse (impossible in the area I currently live in).

2. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Apr 15, 2017

This resume looks extremely impressive. FWIW: I would hire you. The only thing I would be careful with is that unfortunately with some people, the LGBT club could be a strike against you.

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2017

Thank you! My other resume was not as visually appealing. It was just a list of what I had done... apparently that's a no no? :D:rofl:I knew it was time to do something when I handed it to her and she said, "THIS is your resume?" and then laughed. I worked there so we have that relationship. lol
    And it's OK. If they don't want to hire me based on that I don't want to work there anyway.
    :thumbs:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 15, 2017

Leaborb192, I think you should use stronger verbs on your resume. It's lacking in power words.

5. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

Apr 16, 2017

I think this website has a great list of power verbs:
    https://careers.uiowa.edu/power-verbs-education-resumes

Leaborb192, you've inspired to take another look at my resume. I kind of threw it together at the end of student teaching, when I was overly confident that my current district would offer me a FT position right after my LTS job was over. Now I'm realizing how naive I was to make that assumption, but hopefully it's not too late to catch the late-Spring wave of listings on EdJoin.

Question: Is it customary to put your GPA on the resume?

Credential section should come after Education?

Leaborb192 likes this.
  6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2017

I didn't have my GPA on there at first, but then they told me that if it's above a certain GPA you should put it. I had my education down at the bottom at first, but she suggested I move it to the top so that they can see what degrees I hold.

7. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

Apr 16, 2017

OK, I'll have a go:

Education
    MA: Bilingual Secondary Education | University 2017
    GPA 3.97
    Kappa Delta Pi Education Honors Society nomination 2015 & 2016
    NABE Bilingual Teacher Scholarship
    L. Gordon Bittle Memorial Scholarship for Student CTA. Recipient of the Philip Vera Cruz Pacific Asian American Scholarship (Highest Scoring Applicant)
    Center for Equity for English Learners, Project STELLAR Bilingual Scholarship

BA: Comparative Literature | University 2009
    Latin American Studies minor
    GPA 3.6
    Alumni Association Scholarship

Credentials
    SB 2040 Preliminary Single Subject Spanish | Subject Matter Authorization: English | BCLAD Spanish​

Professional Experience
    Spanish & ELD/ELL Teacher | [School], {District} 12/2016 to Current
    --Lead two sections of Spanish 1, two sections of Literacy Support, and one section of ELD.
    --Utilize English 3D curriculum to build academic vocabulary and writing skills of Long-Term ELLs.

Spanish Student Teacher | [School], {District} 08/2016 to 12/2016
    --Taught two sections of 8th grade Spanish 1 for Fall semester.
    --Supplemented Realidades curriculum with Comprehensible Input techniques.

Spanish Immersion Long-Term Substitute | [School], {District} 06/2014 to 07/2014
    --Stepped in to take over classes when the previous LTS left unexpectedly.
    --Devised and implemented lesson plans in Spanish for 7th and 8th grade history.

Bilingual Instructional Assistant | [School], {District} 11/2013 to 06/2016
    --Differentiated content for English Learners of various proficiency levels.
    --Monitored and reported student progress regarding performance and behavior.

Classroom Instructional Assistant | [School], {District} 09/2011 to 07/2013
    --Provided instructional support to small groups and individuals in a kindergarten classroom.

Affiliations
    California Teacher's Association (CTA), 2014-2016
    National Association of Bilingual Educators (NABE), 2014-2016
    California Language Teachers Association (CLTA), 2016​

8. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

Apr 16, 2017

Love

Leaborb192 likes this.
  9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2017

Sadly yes. Her ___ buddy is a teacher's kid.
    :roll:

10. sophomorehope16

sophomorehope16 Rookie

Apr 16, 2017

Wow, that says a lot! Yeah, must be the statistics they needed.

11. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2017

He's not a minor. We're all in our early 30's.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2017

I believe that this is interesting, but overkill

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2017

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxx Road ~ xxxxxxx, xxxxxxx Zip Code ~ xxx-xxx-xxxx ~ xxxxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com

Qualifications Profile

Dedicated professional with a solid background in diverse areas of teaching. Adept in creating and presenting lesson plans while tailoring lessons to students’ needs. Skilled in improving students’ performance level in the classroom. Comprehensive background working with a diverse student population. Core competencies include:

ü Classroom Management & Behavior Management ü Inquiry & Active Learning

ü Curriculum Implementation & Lesson Planning ü Standardized Testing

ü Technology Integration & Digital Literacy Instruction ü Differentiated Instruction

ü Cooperative Learning ü Student Achievement & Student Outcome

Career Highlights

• Utilized technology in the classroom while enabling students to incorporate inquiry and research into daily lessons and improving digital literacy skills as mandated by the Common Core Curriculum Standards. Incorporated reading comprehension and literacy in the content classroom.
    • Created an authentic assessment unit for each level of instruction and incorporated real life skills, digital literacy, PBL, HOTS, and written literacy skills as mandated by the NGSS.
    • Modified AP Biology inquiry lessons that were utilized with the honors and CP biology classes, which stimulated higher order thinking skills needed for acquisition of 21st Century Skills called for the Common Core and Next Generation Science Skills.
    • Identified a disconnect between the language and writing/literacy for ESL students, which included taking advantage of a federally funded grant to pursue professional development in ESL teaching.

Education & Credentials

Master of Education Studies, Teacher of Students with Disabilities –xxxxxxxxx University

Master of Education, Teaching English as a Second Language – THE COLLEGE xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rosetta Stone Spanish Course (Currently Pursuing) – xxxxxxxx CONTINUING EDUCATION

Master of Science Studies, Reproductive Physiology and Genetics – UNIVERSITY OF xxxxxxxxxx

Bachelor of Science, Food Science – UNIVERSITY OF xxxxxxxxxxxx

Certifications:

Xxx xxxxxxxx Standard Teaching Certificate in TESL

Xxx xxxxxxxxx Standard Teaching Certificate in Elementary Education K - 6

Xxx xxxxxxx Standard Teaching Certificate in Biology Subject Content

Sss ssssssss Standard Teaching Certificate Middle School Subject Matter Specialization: Language Arts/Literacy Specialization in Grades 5-8

Xxx xxxxxxxx Standard Teaching Certificate Middle School Subject Matter Specialization: Science in Grades 5-8

Xxx xxxxxxxx Standard Teaching Certificate Middle School Subject Matter Specialization: Social Studies in Grades 5-8

Xxx xxxxxxxxx Provisional Teaching Certificate in TOSD

Praxis II Exams (2010), ETS Recognition of Excellence, Elementary Education: Content

Professional Experience

Sssss sssssssssss SCHOOL (2xxx-PRESENT)

Science Teacher
    • Planned, designed, and implemented age appropriate lesson plans for students of varied abilities.
    • Handled classroom management and behavior modification responsibilities, creating a safe environment.
    • Interacted with Child Study Teams and provided feedback on students’ performance levels.
    • Analyzed student performance and furnished recommendations to promote academic improvement.
    • Played a key role in evaluating student performance levels and identifying areas for academic improvement. Stimulated writing and reading literacy, increasing student comprehension.
    • Established and enforced classroom rules and implemented behavior modification plans.
    • Modified general education curriculum for special needs students based on a variety of instructional techniques and technologies.

XXXXXXXXX xxxxxxxxx xxxx xxxxxxxx (sssss – ssss)

Science Teacher
    • Managed teaching responsibilities within Honors and CP Biology classes, which entailed curriculum development, lesson plans, tutorial, grading, problem based learning and inquiry, authentic assessment development, formative and summative assessments, and at-home instruction.
    • Created, modified, and implemented age appropriate lesson plans.
    • Handled classroom management and behavior modification responsibilities.
    • Interacted with parents and provided feedback on students’ performance levels.
    • Played a key role in evaluating student performance levels and identifying areas for academic improvement.
    • Introduced best teaching practices to engage all students in the learning process as well as optimize learning levels.

XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX WWWWWWW SSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSS, SS (19XX – 20XX)

CCCCCCCC SSSSSSSS DDDDDDDD, CCCCCCC, XX (19XX – 20XX)

District Substitute Teacher

• Introduced unique curriculum that involved utilizing all areas of teaching to include observation, hands-on learning, curriculum implementation, and grading of coursework.
    • Analyzed student performance and furnished recommendations to promote academic improvement.
    • Established and enforced classroom rules and implemented behavior modification plans.
    • Modified general education curriculum for special needs students based on a variety of instructional techniques and technologies.
    • Garnered recognition as a key contributor to the integration of training for educators and parents in new technology concepts and practices applicable for the classroom.
    • Appointed to the Board of Directors of SSSSS SSSS Publishing Company that was comprised to increase student interest in reading and writing by publishing original student work for home and the classroom.
    Additional Experience:

SS SSSS S SSSSSS, OOOOOOO OOOOOOO, vvv aaaaaaaaaa

Affiliations

Member of National Science Teachers Association

Member of New Jersey Education Association

Board of Directors of VVVVVVVV Music Association

FFFFFFFFF CCCCCCC Track Club – Board Member, Coach, Parent Volunteer, and Creative Fundraiser

Volunteer – JJJJJJ BBBBBB School District, HHHH BBBBBB, NN

Parent Volunteer and Pre-school Handicapped Program Volunteer

Technical Skills

Microsoft Office Suite, Google and Google Apps, Google Drive, Moodle, PDF, Aspen, Grade Quick, PDExpress, Atlas Curriculum Management, Cloud Storage, Virtual Desktops, Student Netbooks, Laptops, Tablets, and Smartphones used in the classroom setting.

I am not posting this to toot my own horn, but to give guidance about what I share about my qualifications without bragging. It is factual, relevant, and speaks to what I have to offer, while sharing how I got to the proficiency levels that make me a good fit. Resume space is precious, and this resume hits the high points without fluff.

Did I write it? No, but I spent a great amount of time revising it to sell my best qualities. I worked hand in hand with the writer to make sure we both valued the some traits. Is it perfect? Probably not, but it certainly is a resume that earned me numerous interviews and landed me the job I have currently. Many individuals can write this resume from scratch, while others benefit from some professional help. There is no ONE right way to get to the best resume for each candidate, something to consider.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    agdamity likes this.
  14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 17, 2017

This was a question I had a hard time with when I first got my credential and didn't know what I would say.
    But then, after subbing for almost 2 years with at-risk youth, in alternative ed, I could honestly say (and did, at the interview for my current job) that I want to work with at-risk youth exclusively. I couldn't explain why, except for that I felt that I was making a difference, it was a challenge, but very rewarding, but why? Couldn't really explain. But, I was willing to move 6 hours away.
    I got the job, and I was 100% honest about my enthusiasm.

I would never just apply at any school. I know the saying "apply to any and all schools within a reasonable commuting distance" But that will just result in a lot of meaningless interviews, with no good answers to questions like "why do you want to work HERE?"

I would apply at schools that have challenging population, even if it was an inner city school, because I'm not afraid of a challenge, and I know I can handle them and make a difference. I'd also love to work with students who are newcomers in this country (meaning they have bee here for less than 2 years with very low English l. skills). I could explain that me, being an English learner can relate to them, I am familiar with most dominant cultures in any area in California and if I wasn't, I'd be willing to learn. And I could go on and on.

So interview might be far and few in between, but they wouldn't be the typical short, meaningless conversations. I wouldn't know what to say about a regular high school, that's a dime a dozen.

I'm not sure if this helps, but my advice would be to find your passion, strength and interest and find a school that matches that. Then the job is yours.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  15. Committed2DaProfession

Committed2DaProfession Rookie

Apr 17, 2017

I love your post. However, not everyone has the qualifications/experience to cherrypick their dream school. For many, the most responsible thing to do is "apply to any and all schools within a reasonable commuting distance". Yes, this certainly increases the likelihood that you will apply for and interview for jobs that you won't get, but it will also exponentially increase your chances of getting hired. Then, once you've been hired and acquired experience, you'll have the luxury to tailor your search a bit and find that perfect school.

16. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

Apr 20, 2017

Sweet sassy molassy, I got the verbal job offer today!! P stopped me in the hall and pulled me aside to tell me. At first I thought he was doing the Oreo thing (sandwich bad news inside of compliments) but the bad news never came! PHEW!

Haven't gotten an official contract from HR yet, but when I do we're going to celebrate!!

Linguist92021, anon55 and MrsC like this.
  17. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2017

:partyhat:. Great news - congrats!

18. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

Apr 20, 2017

Thanks! The anxiety, uncertainty, and disappointment I felt while researching my local job prospects has left me feeling ever so very thankful and fortunate that things turned out this way. Los Angeles has been overrun by The Great Charter Experiment. I'm sure some are great, but many out here have a terrible reputation.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    anon55 likes this.
  19. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Apr 21, 2017

congrats, what a great feeling!

20. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Apr 21, 2017

there are some that are straight up scams. I got offered a job at one, and then 2 weeks later they said "oh nevermind, we're hiring a science teacher instead". Like, having a history teacher is optional? Very weird...

MsAbeja and Leaborb192 like this.