Job Hunt Frustration, Venting & Support Thread!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Leaborb192, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Jul 8, 2016

2. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 8, 2016

Hmm. unfortunately most if not all of the seasoned teachers at my current school are stuck in their ways and havent changed their worksheets or lessons in many years. I kind of miss teaching in LA where everyone was young and excited to find new ways to teach things.

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Jul 8, 2016

Ugh! I think that's why there's a lot of opposition to common core. Deep down it means teachers have to change their methods of instruction and OMG, might have to learn new material themselves. It's hard to promote being a life long learner, when you don't even practice (or believe) it yourself.

MsZzz likes this.
  4. miss-m

miss-m Cohort

Jul 8, 2016

I'm not trying to be judgmental or critical... but if I heard someone say this (and I am that person that doesn't generally become super close friends with coworkers) I would assume they wouldn't work well cooperatively with colleagues and wouldn't hire them. Working as a team seems to be a really big thing in teaching right now, and teachers who can't work together aren't going to last long. It can also come across as a bit arrogant, so while I'm all for being yourself in an interview, I would be careful about how you say things as it's possible to say the right thing the wrong way and be totally ruled out as a result. Just my two cents.

5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Jul 8, 2016

I made the point even as I was talking that I do work well with others and collaborate fine (which is true) , but I'm not there to be bffs with them. And I'm not. I took the gamble and thought "Yep, I blew it" and yet they ended up telling me that they were impressed and invited me to the next interview... so... who knows?

I've also worked with teachers who never left their classroom and rarely consulted with others, only if absolutely necessary. You would think everyone would be all "open door" policy, but some aren't. It doesn't make them terrible people. I'm pleasant to all my colleagues, I'm just not there to get wrapped up in their lives.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  6. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jul 8, 2016

So I don't know who else uses school spring, but I applied for a job and after a few days it was changed from submitted to received (meaning they have viewed it) and then the next day to interview. Great! But after more than a week I had not received an email, phone call or school spring prompt to set up an interview. So through school spring I sent the principal an email very politely asking if there was anything or anyone I needed to contact on my end to arrange an interview. Nothing. Still listed as interview, no word. Its been like 3 weeks now since I first applied. Do I love it alone? Do I send another email next week? I really like the school and its 3rd grade!

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Jul 8, 2016

Why not call?

8. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jul 8, 2016

I could. I was more wondering if it would be overkill or pushy to contact them again. Or if I should just wait it out

9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Jul 8, 2016

Oh I've received plenty of "Thank you for your interest, we were impressed by your experience however..."
    Then why not interview me?! You could at least talk to me and let me sell myself a little more. Ugh! Just more job hunting BS!
    :angry:

There are days I seriously think about opening up my own tutoring service or school just to avoid all this nonsense.

10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Jul 9, 2016

Also how do you answer the question: Why do you want to work here?
    l've never been able to give a satisfying answer beyond mere generic praise and cliches to this question. I love teaching and try to keep it about the students but I usually can't supply a differentiated answer to why I selected that particular school. It's just your run of the mill average public school in a small town. And there was a job opening. What else can I say? I try to pick a talking point and go from there but it's just total BS.

Any pointers?
    :helpme:

talknteach likes this.
  11. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Comrade

Jul 9, 2016

Here comes the list:

1. Praise in a rejection letter...if I was a good candidate I'd be signing a contract.
    2. No feedback on interviews weeks later, and not returning calls.
    3. Interviewers who are late to the interview.
    4. Being rejected for a full time job and being asked to sub in the same day.
    5. Trying to bait a person into badmouthing another school.
    6. Finishing as a second choice...well, this one is my fault :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    talknteach likes this.
  12. christie

christie Rookie

Jul 9, 2016

I think the school wants to hear that you know something about their specific school. There is a lot of information to be found on the Internet, so look for a program or something interesting that they do and incorporate that into your answer. I did a lot of interviewing last year and I always made sure I had something specific to point to, whether it was mentioning that they were 1:1 and teaching in that environment is a strength of mine, or whether it was that they'd just built a flexible learning space and how that connected to the way I run my classroom, etc.

Every school has something that makes it different than another. The school wants to know what that is.

13. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Jul 9, 2016

I just got a request to interview at PS 195 in The Bronx, but declined as I'm not really interested in the city (I'm a country boy), but they invited me to an interview and wanted me to teach a model lesson. That is the FIRST time I've interviewed where they wanted me to teach a lesson. My question is: do other schools do that? And if not, why not? I think that's probably a GREAT litmus test to decide whether or not the school would want to hire someone. It's a fabulous idea! But it was the first time I had ever been requested to do one. Is that weird?

o_O

14. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Comrade

Jul 9, 2016

I've been seeing more and more of that. Lately, every school is asking for a sample lesson plan as well. I like the idea.

15. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 9, 2016

I think demo lessons are a really good idea as well. I also think standard teacher interviews do not really help sites figure out if someone is going to be successful in the classroom. I mean, you can see if someone is quick on their feet, which is a crucial skill, in middle school at least. But most of the rest of the interview topics do not really help you figure out if someone is going to be effective in the classroom.

My site tries to hire before the end of the school year, so we can arrange demos in front of students. Demos in front of a panel are not really as informative.

16. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Jul 9, 2016

Or it seems like they didn't even read your resume and don't even know any basic information about you... :confused:

I may need a job but I'm judging them too. I went to an interview, showed up to the school and walked right in. There was NO front desk clerk it was completely abandoned, so I had to just walk around and try to find someone. ANYONE could have walked in for nefarious reasons. I finally caught up with... the principal and director (who smelled like weed) and we went into her office (which was a complete unorganized mess) and then the "interview" began. The principal basically texted -and yawned-- the entire time when she wasn't looking out the window and the director, who appeared to be interested, typed on her computer as I answered questions. Needless to say I don't think that they were impressed or interested but neither was I.

17. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 9, 2016

I do think that school sometimes forget that we are assessing them just as much as they are assessing us. I interviewed at a school once where the principal pitted this girl against me during my demo lesson and had her make a bunch of rude comments interrupting me ("why are you so annoying"?) I literally saw the principal giggling and leaning over to the girl and whispering in her ear. So unprofessional.

Also, agreed that sometimes they need to prepare more for the interview. On the last interview I had, they asked me to tell them where I went to school and were taking notes vigorously as I told them basic info that was listed on my resume, application, and cover letter..o_O

18. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Jul 9, 2016

HAHAH I'm from NY but worked in AZ and even though it's plastered all over my resume, they still act all shocked when I say, "Well I'm from NY." They're like "REALLY?"

Did you even read my f!!!!!!! resume? I took the time to learn a little bit about your school you might as well extend me the same courtesy. Or if they ask, "So have you taught before?" I almost want to slap them. I could see it as a pop quiz to make sure I knew my own experience but they genuinely didn't know.

It's a minor annoyance but it does say a lot about you. If *you* invited me to the interview, I assumed that you took the time to get to know me through my application materials.

So my top job hunt annoyances:
    1. When the interviewer isn't prepared (either late or hasn't read my materials)
    2. Getting the call that I'll hear back "in a few weeks" or "soon" (so we can forget about you and find someone better) Just cut me loose and let me move on.
    3. Getting the letter/call "We liked you and were impressed with you BUT..." (Teases!) :mad:

19. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Comrade

Jul 11, 2016

I think the schools realize we are assessing them but don't care. There are more teachers than jobs, so the ball is in their court. If we don't like what we see, someone else will.

That is the single most frustrating factor in the process.

20. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Jul 11, 2016

Of course they don't care. They know damn well that we mean nothing and are expendable. Not in AZ , though, it's a completely different world out there. I just got back from part one a huge group interview in Downstate NY. It was intense, they don't play around. The principal said that they will interview and invite certain candidates to part two, which is teaching a model lesson. I was thinking in my head, Wow, this is so much more involved than my interviews in AZ. I literally got the last job by phone call. I never even saw the principal. After about 30 minutes she asked, "What do you want to teach?" and offered me the job. It's like night and day. But as I was driving back home, I was just thinking, Do I even want a job right now? I resigned to go back to school and just felt the pull /intuition/ fate that said, "Dude! Stick with your program." I'm not really hard up for a job right now. I'm not about to compete in "Hunger Games" for one (which is basically what these admin expect you to do.) o_O At the end if I absolutely had to, I would easily just go back to AZ. They basically hand jobs out over there.
    :cool: