Job Fair Advice?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Kat., Jun 6, 2018.

1. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Jun 6, 2018

I'm going to my first job fair next week. It's going to be HUGE with lots of districts attending.

Does anyone have any advice? What should I bring? (Besides copies of my resume).

TIA!

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 6, 2018

Since there are a lot of districts there, pick a few that you absolutely must stop by. You likely won't get to go to them all. After you narrow it down to your top five-ish, research those districts like you would for an interview. Then, when you meet with their representatives, you'll be prepared for talking with them. You'll likely know more about those districts than your competition, which will leave you to stand out in their minds.

4. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Companion

Jun 8, 2018

Definitely pick your top districts. Lines will be long and depending on the district it could be a drive by or a packed freeway with HR and admin talking to each person a long time. I've seen and stood in line for both.

bella84 likes this.
  5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 8, 2018

In my area, the biggest districts tend to just be doing "meet and greets" while the smaller, often less well known districts will actually do screening interviews at job fairs. Sometimes districts will publish this on job fair documents that you receive before the fair, and sometimes they'll have signs up at the fair that say something like "meet and greets only today." Make sure to take a peek at the table before getting in line- you want to look for some sort of clipboard or something indicating that they're signing people up for interviews. Your best bet would be to talk to other teachers in your area if possible, because they are more likely to have attended the specific fair you're attending and can give more specific advice. What I've said here might not apply in your area.

Get there early and study the map ahead of time (if they give you one) so that you can know exactly what route you want to take. Try to schedule as many interviews as possible first thing, and then if you have extra time go around to the meet and greet districts. I honestly don't understand what the point of the meet and greets even is...like they're really going to remember someone they spent 1 minute talking to, on a day they probably met 1,000 other people?

I would also suggest applying online to all of the districts you plan on talking to before you go. Even if they don't have any specific postings for you yet, many will have a general application you can fill out or at least let you fill in most of an application prior to choosing a specific posting to apply for.

Last time I went to a job fair, I made a little folder with each district's name on it along with my name and contact info. Inside, I put my resume, cover letter tailored to that district, transcripts, and letters of rec. I honestly thing something like this is hit or miss. It can make you stand out, but last time I was sitting in on interviews with my previous P, someone brought a little folder and she immediately took everything out and said, "I hate when people do this.":oops: If you're feeling really gung-ho, maybe take folders for your top districts as well as plain copies of your resume, and ask them which one they'd like to take?

6. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Jun 8, 2018

I went to a hiring fair with a pile of packets containing my resume, letters of rec, transcripts (which in retrospect was dumb because they had my social security number as a student ID), etc. I got nothing in terms of call backs. One district that was way out in the boondocks was looking to set up interviews, but the majority of them really only wanted people on their sub rolls. It turned out to be a depressing and frustrating waste of time. If your area is one really impacted and looking for teachers, I'd go with resumes, but mostly just go to collect information. At best, you'll get a list of districts to keep an eye on for postings.