Job Dilemma

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2019

I called them today and they said it can’t be a full time job to start.

2. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 18, 2019

In that case, I would turn it down - for all of the reasons waterfall stated. Accepting a job as a long-term sub when you already have a full-time, permanent job just doesn’t make sense. It seems like a step backwards.

mrsf70, MrsC, futuremathsprof and 2 others like this.
  3. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2019

I agree.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2019

Here is what I gathered. I would love your thoughts/advice:
    -The principal just texted me and said that they can post the job as opening on 11/01 so I would have proof of hire for November 1st and I can sign a November 1st contract. I would start the year paid as a long term sub (I think $170 a day for 25 days and then $290 after 25 days.) The reason that it is a long term sub job is because of another teacher who is retiring on November 1st. She teaches in a SPED classroom, but the person that they hired for her job is an employee of the district and they wouldn't be allowed to start as a long term sub. My friend who works at the school said that it is just a budget thing and that it shouldn't influence my decision, except for the finances. The principal said that two teachers started the same way this year. I also wouldn't be able to take a day off paid for the first 2 months. Overall, I would make more $$ as you get paid a lot in this district. It would count as a year of service and a step on the salary scale. I am still not sure how comfortable I feel with this.

-I would have two preps, not just one--3 6th grade classes and 1 7th grade inclusion class. This would definitely be more work + it might feel like doing my first year all over again + would be a lot of work. Classes are only 60 minutes.

-People generally stay at this school and they don't have a lot of openings.

-Planning can be taken up by meetings but there is no obligation to stay after school with students (as there is at my school.)

- The 6th grade team is great. This is what I would love + what I am missing from my school. They do a lot of work together on interventions, use buddy rooms, etc. The kids also see them as a team and travel as a cohort which is again really nice!

-Behavior can be challenging. They use strategies as a team + as a school to help with behavior like Live School, etc. Teachers generally don't give detentions, etc.

-My commute would be better (15 minutes to get there vs. 30 minutes and 15 minutes to get home vs 45 minutes to get home.) I could also take a bus if I wanted in 30 minutes.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 18, 2019

This makes it sound less bad, but it still seems risky. I’m not sure what I would do in your situation. I would have to go with my gut. Since it’s not my situation, I don’t have a gut feeling one way or the other, but you probably do. Try to figure out what it is, and go with it.

mrsf70, teacherintexas and Ms.Holyoke like this.
  6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 18, 2019

I agree.

7. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Jun 18, 2019

I know how you feel to some extent as my first choice district is also very hard to get into and I would probably have to do something similar as they usually hire from their sub list. I cant afford sub pay or going without benefits for me and my son for a couple of months so its a non-starter, but then that means that this district is out of reach and I have no chance to ever get in. If I were younger and childless I just might go for it.

There is still some risk, but there is also a pay off.

I guess the other thing it comes down to is do the other aspects of the job make it worth it to take the risk? A pro/con list can be even in numbers but not in weight is that how this comes off for you? Something is a minor benefit to me could be a big deal to you so it doesn't help for me to weigh in other other pieces to the offer that you described.

8. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Jun 18, 2019

@Ms.Holyoke I would do it if it's a good district. It sounds like it's worth it - especially if it's a district with not a lot of openings.

9. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 19, 2019

As others have said, go with your gut feeling. If this is a place you really want to be at, then go for it. Your friend in the district knows how these things go down and would know how it all works in that district. Good luck!

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2019

I think I am going to turn it down! I think it seems like too much work. They have meetings during 3 planning blocks which is a ton of work + no time to actually grade, make copies. It seems like they also expect you to join after school committees (from 3:45-5 once every two weeks), which my current school doesn’t expect.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 19, 2019

That's all pretty typical in my experience. If you otherwise want the job, I wouldn't let those things stand in the way. Sure, meetings and committees are time-consuming, but they are often avenues for professional growth that will only help your long-term career. For me, the concern would be more with the long-term sub part. But, again, you've gotta go with your own gut feeling.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2019

True...

I spoke with a union rep who asked me to get it in writing.

13. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2019

^^
    I think I will turn it down because it starts as a long term sub w/o guarantees. I might keep looking for a more permanent position.

14. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jun 19, 2019

Turn it down if it’s the LTS thing that is making you feel uncomfortable. But don’t turn it down because of extra planning and meetings and extra preps. These things give you more experience, help you to learn and grow professionally so these are positive things. And if you’re making more money, I think you are “compensated” for your time. Over time, I think it would pay off career advancement wise and financially in a highly sought after district.

Ms.Holyoke and bella84 like this.
  15. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2019

I think my issue with the meetings is that it is a really big change from what I have this year. We have 72 minutes of planning time which is ours and 45 minutes of math team meetings. We might have meetings during our planning, but they aren't regularly scheduled. I assumed that teachers are guaranteed some planning time to make copies, etc. At this school, you would have math team meetings during your planning time, grade level team meetings during your planning time, etc. I'm not sure if that is normal?

There are also after school committees that you are expected to attend, bi-weekly from 3:45-5pm. That again seems like a lot.

16. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 19, 2019

This is all totally normal.

teacherintexas likes this.
  17. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2019

So, she said I could sign a contract for the November 1st job over the summer but if the person chose not to retire (and she can until November 1st), I wouldn’t have a contract.

18. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 19, 2019

All things considered, this seems like the best choice to me.

It's still early in the summer, something else may come along. I firmly believe in listening to your gut feelings... If it doesn't feel completely right, it probably isn't.

19. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2019

What state do you teach in? I'm not sure if it is for my state (MA).

20. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 19, 2019

It isn't normal in my area. Planning time is protected. You do get a few principals requesting meetings and such during that time, but all committee and department meetings happen at other times.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.