Job Dilemma

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Apr 16, 2019 at 5:45 AM.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2019 at 5:45 AM

I have recently started applying for new jobs and I have been offered a 6th grade math position! I’m trying to decide whether I should take it. I would love to hear other people’s thoughts!

Pros:
    -The grade level is ideal because I teach 6th grade now. I would obviously have to do more planning to adjust to the kids, etc. but I’m more familiar with the standards! I’m sure I would be able to uritlize some of my current lessons.
    -The salary is great. I would get about a 20K pay raise. I would make about 54K at my current district next year and over 70K at this district. (EDIT: I rechecked the salary and I would actually make 66K. However, this is last year’s amount and they don’t have a contract yet for this year. My friend says that once a contract gets ratified, they will get paid the missing amount. So I assume that if a contract gets through, I would make close to 70K with the cost of living increases.)
    -The classes are capped. This district caps at 28, however, most of the classes are around 20-22. At my current district, over 30 kids is normal and it is expected to be worse next year. (EDIT: Actually, this school caps at 26 kids for grades 6-8).
    -It is closer to home for me. It would be a 15 minute drive with traffic compared to 30 2minutes.
    -The school building is new and gorgeous. The classrooms are really nice.
    -You get one period per day where you alternate and either meet with the math team or your grade level team (to discuss student concerns, meet parents). This is great because my current school does not have grade level teams, just math teams, so we meet with our math team every day. This is in addition to a prep.

Cons:
    -The school day is 30 minutes longer. You paid a $4100 stipend for this. This time does not get added to a normal courseload, but you have a 50 minute advisory or intervention time with kids every day. We don’t have a homeroom so I would have more “teaching time” at this school. So I would have 4 57-minute math classes and one 57 minute advisory/intervention block. At my current school, I supervise homeroom for 25 minutes and teach 3 72 minute math classes. So it would definitely be a longer day. At my current school, I do stay after school with the kids, but if they have intervention, I probably wouldn't have to.
    -Students get dismissed early on Wednesday and you have PD from 2-4 (an extra one hour each week after school.)
    -The kids are lower at this school as the school’s “level” is lower. There do seem to be a lot of supports for the kids at this school, however.

I spoke with a teacher who made the switch from my current school to this school. She said they are very different but she is happy.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 5:47 PM
  3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2019 at 6:28 AM

It sounds like a wonderful opportunity. You sound as if it would be a positive move for you. I would grab it! Good luck!!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 16, 2019 at 7:54 AM

I work at a school with a longer school day and I barely notice anymore. I would absolutely take that job. With the shorter commute, your time away from home will work out about the same. I also don't see the PD from 2-4 as a con. That means your PD is embedded in your school day and not after school or on weekends.

Backroads and Ms.Holyoke like this.
  5. rpan

rpan Cohort

Apr 16, 2019 at 8:08 AM

I’d take the new job! To me the pros far outweigh the cons. In fact the cons are not really anything that would be a dealbreaker, generally speaking. Congratulations!

futuremathsprof and Ms.Holyoke like this.
  6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2019 at 8:21 AM

The school day is 7:30-2:57. So the PD would be one hour after school. As a newer teacher, I think the PD would be great if it is useful in the classroom.

7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2019 at 8:31 AM

How long is your school day?

My current school day is from 7:35-2:20 and teachers have to stay to help with kids until 3 on one day (but it usually ends up being 2 days) and from 7:35-8 is just homeroom so there is no instruction. Teachers have to stay until 2:40 every day. I’m not sure if the school I got the job in requires teachers to provide after school help. My new job does not have a homeroom (I’m not sure when the kids eat breakfast!) and the school hours are from 7:30-2:57.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 16, 2019 at 8:49 AM

Teachers are 8-4. Students are 8:15 until 3:50. We're high school, but no homeroom.

9. Aces

Aces Cohort

Apr 16, 2019 at 8:52 AM

I say go for it. It sounds like it would be a better environment. As far as breakfast goes they probably eat in the cafeteria before school starts. Which this is subject to change but my new school starts at 7.45 and goes until 3 for students. But I'm sure that's changing for next year. We're in the process of reworking the schedule and things. Which is also odd because I'm involved in the conversation but not really....

Anyways take the plunge go for it.

10. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 16, 2019 at 11:06 AM

I think the pros sound great!

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 16, 2019 at 12:43 PM

Heck, even some of the cons sound pretty good (a school with scaffolding for challenged students is one more likely to support its team)!

Backroads and futuremathsprof like this.
  12. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Apr 16, 2019 at 1:24 PM

I would do it without giving it a second thought.

13. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2019 at 4:21 PM

I spoke with the principal and learned a little bit more about the school!
    -The school has a curriculum which is great! They use the open up/illustrative math curriculum.
    -I would be teaching 4 sections of 6th grade math. Two would be gen. ed and two would be inclusion. Inclusion has two teachers for about 20 kids. I haven't taught inclusion before.
    -Teacher hours are 7:15-3:15. (So about 15 minutes before the kids get there and 15 minutes after.)
    -There are 8 days of PD over the summer...which is a lot.

I told her I would email her with a decision tomorrow. I am leaning towards a yes. I am just hoping that this district passes a contract through this year!!

14. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Apr 17, 2019 at 2:02 AM

Oh, accept the job already. I’ve heard nothing but bad things about your current school from you. Plus, you get a sweet raise at the new one and there are far more pro’s to accepting the new job offer than con’s.

IMO, this doesn’t seem like a difficult decision to make at all. To me, it’s like choosing between a Motel 6 and a Marriott Hotel and so the answer should be obvious, lol!

Backroads likes this.
  15. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Apr 17, 2019 at 2:50 AM

The OUR curriculum is great! I've been using it for 8th grade this year and love it. Add this to the pros section for the new school.

16. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:10 AM

That’s great to hear!!

I currently look at some of the free resources online. Is there more provided when your school purchases the curriculum?

17. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 17, 2019 at 7:09 AM

Do you teach in MA as well?

18. Aces

Aces Cohort

Apr 17, 2019 at 8:01 AM

I do! I'm not originally from here but my husband is so I've basically adapted to my surroundings. I'm a wicked Red Sox fan!

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  19. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Apr 17, 2019 at 8:51 AM

The pros look like the definitely outweigh the cons from my point of view. That pay increase is a lot! Plus close to home is important for me.

20. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 17, 2019 at 9:56 AM

I learned more about the school and I am leaning towards a no. I’m not sure because this is just from speaking with one person!

-The behavior is apparently crazy, especially at the middle school. It seems that the previous 6th grade math teacher quit because the behavior was so bad. ??
    - It is operated by an external operator. I’m not sure what this means or how it affects the school.

Thoughts?? I’m very conflicted.

21. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:55 AM

Hmmm....yeah severe behavior issues are a deal-breaker for me. I don't need that stress. I'm not sure what an external operator would be like. I'm guessing that's like where the state takes it over? I'm guessing that's not very fun.

That said, I would not say no just based on a conversation with 1 person though. I would discuss it with a few others first.